The Student Room Group

Best route into EU diplomacy (EEAS)? Law or Governance?

I have a Bachelor's in International Relations and some experience in the UN system. I have now the possibility to either do a one year Master in Advanced studies in European and International Governance or pursue a Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) for a year, to then be able to do an LLM in international and/or EU law (another year). Which may be the best route towards securing a leadership position in EU (on international) diplomacy?
Original post by yasmineidr
I have a Bachelor's in International Relations and some experience in the UN system. I have now the possibility to either do a one year Master in Advanced studies in European and International Governance or pursue a Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) for a year, to then be able to do an LLM in international and/or EU law (another year). Which may be the best route towards securing a leadership position in EU (on international) diplomacy?

In most cases it won't really matter as people come into leadership roles through their experiences and not their qualifications (though you may need some minimum qualifications). Have a look at the profiles of people who are in such roles?
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
In most cases it won't really matter as people come into leadership roles through their experiences and not their qualifications (though you may need some minimum qualifications). Have a look at the profiles of people who are in such roles?

Thank you for your reply. I have looked up the qualifications of people in such roles, and they vary between a law background, involvement in politics, or something else entirely.
I do not know if I should have an added expertise given the extremely competitive nature of this field, or give priority to acquiring work experience?
Original post by yasmineidr
Thank you for your reply. I have looked up the qualifications of people in such roles, and they vary between a law background, involvement in politics, or something else entirely.
I do not know if I should have an added expertise given the extremely competitive nature of this field, or give priority to acquiring work experience?

Definitely work experience. If you’ve looked up qualifications and they are so varied clearly it doesn’t matter what you’ve studied.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending