The Student Room Group

Tesco Box Insurance Cancellation

I am currently with Tesco Insurance and have a black box fitted in my car. My policy ends in September and I had a limit of 6,000 Miles for the year. I have to travel to and from work each day which means im driving around 50 miles per day just to work. I ran out of policy miles around 6 months into the policy and am currently paying around £250 a month in extra miles. Does anyone know how much it costs to cancel a tesco policy so I can get insured with another company.
Reply 1
If this is your first year it is probably worth sticking it out for your NCB. Have you tried asking them directly for more miles or are you paying an automatic charge? It seems like an awful lot.
Reply 2
Original post by Jmeme10
If this is your first year it is probably worth sticking it out for your NCB. Have you tried asking them directly for more miles or are you paying an automatic charge? It seems like an awful lot.

Yes it's my first year driving, I paid £1472 straight up for my insurance but I had a accident 6 months in to driving, so I has to claim against my insurance, they charged me £130 to update my policy to a different car. When buying miles with Tesco the prices are based off how much your initial policy was but I don't see why the prices are so high. The current prices I have to pay are 250 Miles - £44 500 Miles £88 1000 Miles £177 and 2000 Miles £355, bearing in mind I do at least 800 miles per month just going to work and back it's an big cost for me. I'd rather cancel my insurance and pay £181 per month with another insurer and have no black box with these limitations.
Reply 3
Original post by Siwel16
Yes it's my first year driving, I paid £1472 straight up for my insurance but I had a accident 6 months in to driving, so I has to claim against my insurance, they charged me £130 to update my policy to a different car. When buying miles with Tesco the prices are based off how much your initial policy was but I don't see why the prices are so high. The current prices I have to pay are 250 Miles - £44 500 Miles £88 1000 Miles £177 and 2000 Miles £355, bearing in mind I do at least 800 miles per month just going to work and back it's an big cost for me. I'd rather cancel my insurance and pay £181 per month with another insurer and have no black box with these limitations.

Yeah they are taking the piss. How long have you got until you get your first NCB? I'm guessing a while yet, so I'd just cancel if I were you, it'll probably just be an admin fee.
Pay the Admin fee and get out, save what dignity is left. This is why we keep telling people don't get box policies, sooner or later the money you saved is going to come back to bite you..
Original post by Siwel16
I am currently with Tesco Insurance and have a black box fitted in my car. My policy ends in September and I had a limit of 6,000 Miles for the year. I have to travel to and from work each day which means im driving around 50 miles per day just to work. I ran out of policy miles around 6 months into the policy and am currently paying around £250 a month in extra miles. Does anyone know how much it costs to cancel a tesco policy so I can get insured with another company.

Don’t worry about the mention of no claims bonus; you obviously won’t get this as you’ve had an accident.

The charges should all be in your terms and conditions/policy document. Have a read!
Reply 6
Original post by carrotstar
Don’t worry about the mention of no claims bonus; you obviously won’t get this as you’ve had an accident.

The charges should all be in your terms and conditions/policy document. Have a read!

Thanks, I read through the policy documents and found it's £30 to cancel if the box hasn't been fitted and £80 to cancel if the box has been fitted, going to have to go ahead with paying the £80 to cancel the policy :smile:
Original post by Siwel16
Thanks, I read through the policy documents and found it's £30 to cancel if the box hasn't been fitted and £80 to cancel if the box has been fitted, going to have to go ahead with paying the £80 to cancel the policy :smile:

That makes much more sense than continuing to pay such ridiculous charges!

If you go for a black box again, make sure you quote the mileage a bit more accurately at the start of your cover. Better to overestimate than underestimate.
Reply 8
Original post by carrotstar
That makes much more sense than continuing to pay such ridiculous charges!

If you go for a black box again, make sure you quote the mileage a bit more accurately at the start of your cover. Better to overestimate than underestimate.

Definitely will not be going with the black box option, so stupid having limits on how much I can drive, the times I can go out and the speeds I can do. Rather pay that little bit extra for no limitations on what I am doing.
Reply 9
Original post by Siwel16
Definitely will not be going with the black box option, so stupid having limits on how much I can drive, the times I can go out and the speeds I can do. Rather pay that little bit extra for no limitations on what I am doing.

LOL you will have limitations on all of those except the time you drive without a black box...
Reply 10
Original post by Jmeme10
LOL you will have limitations on all of those except the time you drive without a black box...

Not particularly, the insurance can't measure how fast I am going, they can't see how many miles I am doing or the times I am driving. So there isn't any limitations.
Reply 11
Original post by Siwel16
they can't see how many miles I am doing

Yes they can.
Reply 12
Original post by IWMTom
Yes they can.

Only if they were to send someone out to check my mileage on my car.
Reply 13
Original post by Siwel16
Only if they were to send someone out to check my mileage on my car.

Perhaps you weren't aware of this, but your mileage is logged when your car takes its MOT...
Reply 14
Original post by IWMTom
Perhaps you weren't aware of this, but your mileage is logged when your car takes its MOT...

Not playing by the books here, don't need to get a "legit" MOT certificate.
Reply 15
Original post by Siwel16

All MOT data is published online nowadays.
Original post by Siwel16

Utter drivel. An MOT test is logged on the VOSA website.
Reply 17
Original post by Piper Kitten
Utter drivel. An MOT test is logged on the VOSA website.

Utter drivel. VOSA hasn't existed in years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending