Charlorobb182
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am currently taking biology, physics, chemistry A level and have just done AS maths (I haven't got my results yet), at university I would love to do a course on something chemistry or physics related, and I was wandering what course and what universities accept maths at only AS level for these sorts of courses?
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your best bet is just to look at university websites that you may be interested in. It's not much effort to research, just look all over, even if you're not sure what course or uni you want yet.

And the answer is yes you can for chemistry. e.g.

Newcastle Chemistry - "ABB including Chemistry. No additional science required but Mathematics, Physics, Biology preferred. For Biology, Chemistry and Physics A levels, we require a pass in the practical element. GCSE Mathematics grade B or 6 required if not offered at a higher level."

Physics will generally be a lot harder to find a course that doesn't require maths however. If you do find a course you love, you can always email them to ask if they will accept just AS Level but generally physics is hand in hand with maths.
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Charlorobb182)
I am currently taking biology, physics, chemistry A level and have just done AS maths (I haven't got my results yet), at university I would love to do a course on something chemistry or physics related, and I was wandering what course and what universities accept maths at only AS level for these sorts of courses?

Hi, Adviser Rosy from the National Careers Service here,

It’s great that you are thinking about your options ahead of time, UCAS is an excellent way to look into this information. You can do a quick search of universities offering courses and compare entry requirements.

Speaking in general a common requirement of Physics at degree level is to have Mathematics at A Level, however some universities can, in some cases be slightly flexible towards this. You could always contact the university admissions team to ask for more information. Chemistry on the other hand does not seem to include maths as an A Level requirement in as many of the universities.

You could also try to strengthen your application with other aspects such as experience or a strong personal statement. Our experienced advisers can offer you more information about these aspects, they are available 8am to 10pm every day and can be contacted on 0800 100 900, or you could email, webchat or arrange a call back from our website:

https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ontact-us/home

I hope this helps but feel free to contact the National Careers Service for more information!

Rosy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads