The Student Room Group

Worried about whether I'd be disadvantaged because of GCSE grades?

Most of the courses i'm thinking of applying to are saying they require applicants to have a grade 6 (B) in English language. I only have a 5 in English lang (in the middle of a C and B). I have a B in English Lit though. I do not understand why English language is so important to these uni's as opposed to english lit. English lang in my opinion is less important than lit, you sit and write an opening to a story for 40 marks and evaluate the meaning of other peoples stories about people called Rosie and her hats. It's really stressing me out i don't know how important this is and whether it really narrows my chances. Anyone else in the same position ?
Original post by Aimee_101
Most of the courses i'm thinking of applying to are saying they require applicants to have a grade 6 (B) in English language. I only have a 5 in English lang (in the middle of a C and B). I have a B in English Lit though. I do not understand why English language is so important to these uni's as opposed to english lit. English lang in my opinion is less important than lit, you sit and write an opening to a story for 40 marks and evaluate the meaning of other peoples stories about people called Rosie and her hats. It's really stressing me out i don't know how important this is and whether it really narrows my chances. Anyone else in the same position ?

Just resit it and then it isnt a problem.

Language is more important because they are more interested in language rather than books.

This changes at A level where Lit is seen as more important.

You can ask teh uni if they will accept a B in Lit.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Just resit it and then it isnt a problem.

Language is more important because they are more interested in language rather than books.

This changes at A level where Lit is seen as more important.

You can ask teh uni if they will accept a B in Lit.

Do you know how to retake, I'm in my 1st year of AS at the moment is it still possible to do that?
Original post by Aimee_101
Do you know how to retake, I'm in my 1st year of AS at the moment is it still possible to do that?

Yes just speak to your exam officer and also the head of English and maybe the head teacher.

They might let you sit it there and then you just pay the exam fee . They are sat twice a year in the summer and winter i.e November.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending