Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i was talking to my friend on msn earlier and she saids that ebay can be quite dodgy but ive known people whove used it before and havent had a problem. so whats your opinion on it?

ReputationRep:
    No. You get some idiots who try to scam you but if you have some common sense, use paypal and don't buy off people with lots of negative feedback (I don't buy off anyone with zero feedback either) then you're fine.

ReputationRep:
    oh how do you mean people? i thought it was like an online shop but then youve just said people so im confused lol.

ReputationRep:

Just visit the site already

ReputationRep:
    already? but ive already done it but i dont really get it lol.

ReputationRep:
    I once bought a book off ebay; I didn't get it; I made a claim through ebay; I won the claim; I didn't get the refund because the guy didn't have enough funds in his paypal account to reimburse me. SCAM!

PS. That was just one transaction, the other 180 I have made both buying and selling have been ok.

ReputationRep:
    wow that sounds relly bad good to sea you got it sorted out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomly_girlish)
    Wow.... Perfect spelling!

Well not punctuation, but who cares?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoisonDonna)
    , use paypal .
    Paypal doesn't really offer all that much protection against being scammed. And if you do have the misfortune to fall foul of anything, they have pretty much no desire to help you. For an example of Paypal's wonderful customer service, see things such as the Katrina donation fiasco http://www.boingboing.net/2005/09/03...king-some.html

ReputationRep:
    People because it's people putting stuff up for sale. There are online shops but it's still people running them. Just go and have a look around.

ReputationRep:
    eBay is like an online marketplace. Different people selling different things. Some of them may be businesses who make a living out of selling stuff on eBay, you can usually tell if you look through their feedback profile, which is where people write comments on transactions that they have had with that particular seller, positive and negative feedback should speak for itself really.

You get other people who just sell things every now and then. A majority of the sellers are okay, but you should look at their feedback anyway, and be wary of newly registered sellers and people with low feedback scores (less than 10) or with negative feedbacks.

Anything else?

ReputationRep:
    oh how do you mean people? i thought it was like an online shop but then youve just said people so im confused lol.
    Oh please tell me you know how eBay works? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferret_messiah)
    Paypal doesn't really offer all that much protection against being scammed. And if you do have the misfortune to fall foul of anything, they have pretty much no desire to help you. For an example of Paypal's wonderful customer service, see things such as the Katrina donation fiasco http://www.boingboing.net/2005/09/03...king-some.html
    Far safer than sending cash through the post or handing out your bank/card details. And if you get scammed for a substantial amount when buying cars and stuff they do protect you.

ReputationRep:
    People because it's people putting stuff up for sale. There are online shops but it's still people running them. Just go and have a look around.
    So the online shops run themselves then. *Welcome to the world of tommorrow*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powersymphonia)
    I once bought a book off ebay; I didn't get it; I made a claim through ebay; I won the claim; I didn't get the refund because the guy didn't have enough funds in his paypal account to reimburse me. SCAM!

PS. That was just one transaction, the other 180 I have made both buying and selling have been ok.
    You should contact PayPal about them. Their protection policy is not on the basis that the seller has the money in their account, as there will be plenty of cases were fraudsters will sell something (which they have no intention of sending) and withdraw the money right away, you should still be protected by PayPal. I'm sure this is stated in their policy, but perhaps you need to be a bit more insistent, and I went through exactly the same thing, and it took persistence but I did get the refund in the end.

It might not be worth it if it is just a book, but bare that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    Far safer than sending cash through the post or handing out your bank/card details. And if you get scammed for a substantial amount when buying cars and stuff they do protect you.
    I want to get a car but I'm skint. I've seen some rusty old bangers on ebay starting at 99p. Ahhh Scrapheap Challenge Lada here I come!

ReputationRep:
    Ebay isn't a scam, in fact, it is a fairly reputable business.

However, some of ebays customers use the facility to scam people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KnightRider)
    You should contact PayPal about them. Their protection policy is not on the basis that the seller has the money in their account, as there will be plenty of cases were fraudsters will sell something (which they have no intention of sending) and withdraw the money right away, you should still be protected by PayPal. I'm sure this is stated in their policy, but perhaps you need to be a bit more insistent, and I went through exactly the same thing, and it took persistence but I did get the refund in the end.

It might not be worth it if it is just a book, but bare that in mind.
    I doubt I could do anything about it now, since this was a year ago and it was only £3.00, but still made the point of getting skanked.

ReputationRep:
    Read: http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/ebayexplained/index.html

Then come back if you still don't get it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Read: http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/ebayexplained/index.html

Then come back if you still don't get it
    Ahh the "New to the world of Online Shopping" generation.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.