The Student Room Group

OCR A-Level - Hamlet, Critical interpretations

Hello!

I was just wondering if people have any interesting (unique?) interpretations from critics or adaptations that they have and wouldn't mind sharing?

I have a ridiculous amount, but you never know what question could come up for part b and I wanna be prepared.

Thought I'd share a couple while I'm at it:

A.C. Swinburne "The single characteristic of Hamlet's inner most nature is by no means irresolution or hesitation, but a strong influx of contending forces"

Samuel Johnson "Hamlet is rather an instrument than an agent"

Von Goethe "A lovely, pure and noble most moral nature [Hamlet], without the strength of nerve which forms a hero"
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
“Hamlet is an element of evil in the state of Denmark” G Wilson Knight

[Ophelia is] a microcosm of the male world's banishment of the female” David Leverenz

In the Richardson production, Claudius and Gertrude are seen to conduct state affairs from their bed (corrupt marriage translates to abhorrent leadership of Denmark) - nice contrast to: “Claudius shows every sign of being an excellent diplomatist and king” G Wilson Knight

Quick Reply

Latest