The Student Room Group

UCL Econ w/geog vs Notts Econ

2 offers:
UCL Bsc Econ and Geography (50/50 split) - A*AA
Nottingham Bsc Econ - A*AA

Would like the move-out experience Notts would provide (lived in London all my life), and a preference to studying single hons. Econ, however I have always been strong in geography ( geography and economics are my strongest subjects).
Cautious of UCL being a target and therefore, am not yet certain which to choose.
Emailed UCL asking for a course switch to pure econ and was told they're oversubscribed.

I'm aware the deadline for firm and insurance is over, contacted both universities and they've agreed to the extra time.

Your thoughts?

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by misterkhan
2 offers:

Would like the move-out experience Notts would provide (lived in London all my life), and a preference to studying single hons. Econ, however I have always been strong in geography ( geography and economics are my strongest subjects).
Cautious of UCL being a target and therefore, am not yet certain which to choose.
Emailed UCL asking for a course switch to pure econ and was told they're oversubscribed.

I'm aware the deadline for firm and insurance is over, contacted both universities and they've agreed to the extra time.

Your thoughts?

Cheers

UCL is the better rational choice from a banking perspective but they both do the job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're dead set on banking then UCL because the difference is considerable. Notts is good too but you have to be pretty special.

Actually let me say that the difference isn't "considerable" that's poorly worded. There's a disparity but that's if you dont take into account that fact that UCL just attracts better quality of students so if you're of good quality you still have solid chances.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Notts places fairly strongly into IB, as long as you want it, it is more than possible. UCL heavily benefits from being in London, but I would argue that UCL is not enough of a step up as say an Oxbridge or LSE to warrant choosing it over Nottingham purely for IB placement. Between these two, you should pick the one you like more and feel you’ll perform better at 😊
Original post by Youk
Notts places fairly strongly into IB, as long as you want it, it is more than possible. UCL heavily benefits from being in London, but I would argue that UCL is not enough of a step up as say an Oxbridge or LSE to warrant choosing it over Nottingham purely for IB placement. Between these two, you should pick the one you like more and feel you’ll perform better at 😊

UCL is on par with LSE tbh. Maybe not oxbridge, but LSE is skewed because so many want to break into IB to the point where theyre really competing with each other.
Reply 5
2 offers:

Your thoughts?

Cheers

As others have said UCL is the better brand both generally and for IB. However, Nottingham is still very good, and will place you decently for IB recruitment, provided that you are proactive. The difference between the two is that more UCL students will get into elite boutiques than Nottingham ones, from what I've seen anyway. Nottingham does reasonably well with the large banks (BB and Tier 2).
If your a solid candidate and prepare early you should have no issues landing spring week interviews at Notts - obviously from there it’s your performance which will dictate whether you land offers.
Reply 7
Original post by rhaegar442
UCL is on par with LSE tbh. Maybe not oxbridge, but LSE is skewed because so many want to break into IB to the point where theyre really competing with each other.

This isn’t necessarily true.

In terms of academics and research output as a University, UCL places alongside the Durham’s, Warwick’s, Nottingham’s of the world. (Tier 2)
[NOT focusing on individual departments which may ranks higher or lower, but generally the entire University’s reputation matters, otherwise Essex would be regarded as Tier 2]

In terms of BB IB placement, UCL is on a level with LSE/Oxbridge due to the location of the University, but the most elite opportunities are still limited to Tier 1 Universities. Think UG PE, Hedge Funds, Elite Boutiques, MBB Consulting placements

In terms of international reputation LSE outstrips UCL, regarded amongst the elite of world universities. For evidence of this look into the exchange between LSE and Harvard/MIT/Stanford/Oxbridge at a PG level, UCL generally finds itself outside of this group again. However I would say UCL easily beats other Tier 2 Universities here

The amount of students looking to break into IB does LSE no issues, banks still love to hire from LSE despite the small size and fierce competition of the University
Reply 8
Original post by Youk

In terms of academics and research output as a University, UCL places alongside the Durham’s, Warwick’s, Nottingham’s of the world. (Tier 2)
[NOT focusing on individual departments which may ranks higher or lower, but generally the entire University’s reputation matters, otherwise Essex would be regarded as Tier 2]

In terms of BB IB placement, UCL is on a level with LSE/Oxbridge due to the location of the University, but the most elite opportunities are still limited to Tier 1 Universities. Think UG PE, Hedge Funds, Elite Boutiques, MBB Consulting placements

In terms of international reputation LSE outstrips UCL, regarded amongst the elite of world universities. For evidence of this look into the exchange between LSE and Harvard/MIT/Stanford/Oxbridge at a PG level, UCL generally finds itself outside of this group again. However I would say UCL easily beats other Tier 2 Universities here

The amount of students looking to break into IB does LSE no issues, banks still love to hire from LSE despite the small size and fierce competition of the University

The LSE only offers social science/law subjects and you are saying its on the same level as oxbridge lmao? Oxbridge is oxbridge and lse and ucl have no difference. UCL econ is still higher than lse yet you guys say lse is better than ucl. ucl offers a wide range of subjects from medicine to law to economics.

oxbridge offers so many different subjects also and excels in all of its subjects so how are you comparing oxbridge with lse lol?

OP choose which ever you like and are happy with. obviously ucl has the upper hand but both will get you in IB comfortably. UCL is obv a target as well so its up to you.
Original post by Youk

Why do you guys love to split hairs so much? Do you honestly think the incremental differences between these top unis matter? Because, they really don't. Sure, being at Oxbridge comes with a premium, but it's not life-changing vs the other top unis.

Realistically, if you're switched on, knowledgeable and resourceful and make it to one of the ~15-16 most represented institutions in the top end of the UK's grad recruiting scene you're set.

Hell even the next best ~10-15 unis (e.g. middle RGs, decent non-RGs like Birmingham, Leeds, etc and Leicester, Loughborough etc) still show up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by seven12
The LSE only offers social science/law subjects and you are saying its on the same level as oxbridge lmao? Oxbridge is oxbridge and lse and ucl have no difference. UCL econ is still higher than lse yet you guys say lse is better than ucl. ucl offers a wide range of subjects from medicine to law to economics.

oxbridge offers so many different subjects also and excels in all of its subjects so how are you comparing oxbridge with lse lol?

OP choose which ever you like and are happy with. obviously ucl has the upper hand but both will get you in IB comfortably. UCL is obv a target as well so its up to you.

This is irrelevant, don't comment on an IB/Consultancy thread about the merits of a University in these industries if you have no understanding of what recruitment in this sector entails. The range of subject offered is irrelevant, Imperial is on par with Oxbridge in STEM and only offers a narrow range of subjects. The strength of UCL's economics department does nothing for IB graduate recruitment, it is academically acknowledged as one the top MSc/PhD's, but that doesn't make it more desirable to recruiters than LSE. As I already said, if the strength of the econ department mattered, Essex would have a strong placement in the City. (Hint: It doesn't)

Original post by Princepieman
Why do you guys love to split hairs so much? Do you honestly think the incremental differences between these top unis matter? Because, they really don't. Sure, being at Oxbridge comes with a premium, but it's not life-changing vs the other top unis.

Realistically, if you're switched on, knowledgeable and resourceful and make it to one of the ~15-16 most represented institutions in the top end of the UK's grad recruiting scene you're set.

Hell even the next best ~10-15 unis (e.g. middle RGs, decent non-RGs like Birmingham, Leeds, etc and Leicester, Loughborough etc) still show up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I honestly do believe the incremental differences matter, and so should anyone who has inclination towards wanting to work in the most elite institutions following undergraduate studies.

A lot of posters here seem have this air of wilful ignorance I can't understand. From what I can tell, your definition of top graduate scheme isn't mine, and I'm inclined to believe most posters on this forum will agree with me. For anyone reading this and selecting universities, please take this advice seriously:

Big 4 / FTSE100 Company / Middle Office / Accenture-esque Graduate schemes

Any good Russell Group university will find land you a place here, as long as it is combined with a reasonable academic record and a few EC's

Class sizes can be 1000+

Average salary 25-30k GBP

Front Office Finance Graduate schemes (BB IB's, AM)

Only the top-end RG universities will open the doors to these graduate schemes. Realistically these classes tend to be dominated by Oxbridge, LSE and UCL. (UCL due to placement rather than elite status as proven by my next point)

Class sizes are in the 100's

Average salary 45+ GBP

Elite Boutique IB / PE / HF / MBB Consulting Graduate schemes

Good luck even getting a look in if you don't have Oxford, Cambridge or LSE on your CV for these (Imperial too, but less so). Let's say you are the top of your class at a good RG, have an awesome start-up, solid work experience at GS/JPM/MS, and play 1st team sports at University, you'll definitely also be in with a shot, but being just above average at either Oxbridge/LSE will also land you in the same assessment centre.

Class sizes range from the low single digits to, at most, low double digits

Average salary :headfire: GBP
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Youk

Yes I honestly do believe the incremental differences matter, and so should anyone who has inclination towards wanting to work in the most elite institutions following undergraduate studies.

A lot of posters here seem have this air of wilful ignorance I can't understand. From what I can tell, your definition of top graduate scheme isn't mine, and I'm inclined to believe most posters on this forum will agree with me. For anyone reading this and selecting universities, please take this advice seriously:

Big 4 / FTSE100 Company / Middle Office / Accenture-esque Graduate schemes

Any good Russell Group university will find land you a place here, as long as it is combined with a reasonable academic record and a few EC's

Class sizes can be 1000+

Average salary 25-30k GBP

Front Office Finance Graduate schemes (BB IB's, AM)

Only the top-end RG universities will open the doors to these graduate schemes. Realistically these classes tend to be dominated by Oxbridge, LSE and UCL. (UCL due to placement rather than elite status as proven by my next point)

Class sizes are in the 100's

Average salary 45+ GBP

Elite Boutique IB / PE / HF / MBB Consulting Graduate schemes

Good luck even getting a look in if you don't have Oxford, Cambridge or LSE on your CV for these (Imperial too, but less so). Let's say you are the top of your class at a good RG, have an awesome start-up, solid work experience at GS/JPM/MS, and play 1st team sports at University, you'll definitely also be in with a shot, but being just above average at either Oxbridge/LSE will also land you in the same assessment centre.

Class sizes range from the low single digits to, at most, low double digits

Average salary :headfire: GBP

My definition includes all the "sought-after" graduate positions (some of which you've outlined).

1. Class sizes are only 1000+ at the accounting firms and in the public sector mostly because they hire regionally across the UK - the other grad schemes vary between a few dozen to a low hundreds. Salaries depend on the industry.. Everything (from FO to BO) in financial services pays more than in most other industries. The true range for that category is like £23-45k.

2. Year-on-year there are about 15-16 universities that make up 90%+ of the FO intakes within finance. The 6 targets hold maybe ~60-65% of seats, aka nowhere near all of them. This is pretty consistently the case - there are also consistently represented "non-target"s like Leeds, York, etc every. year.

3. I did an SW at an EB, Oxbridge was probably the least represented in that programme vs Warwick/LSE. PE/HF is a complete non-starter, the number of firms who offer positions to grads is miniscule (talking about the non-quant world), it doesn't even make sense to consider it as a serious pathway when the IB>Buyside path is the pre-ordained way the vast majority of the buyside recruits junior people. Sure, MBB/tier 2 strat houses are an exception where being at Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Imperial is genuinely meaningful in increasing your odds but people still make the jump from other good unis.

Overall, I still stand by what I say. There are 15-16 consistently, statistically significantly represented universities across all "interesting" grad job routes, then the next 10-20 to round it out. After that point, unless your uni is particularly strong in a niche (or you're just an exceptional person), there's a pretty solid drop off in flows into these desirable gigs. It's certainly not top 5/6 or bust to have a good shot at a great entry level job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Youk

As someone with a conditional offer from LSE, i'd love for all this to be true but it simply isn't. From my experience, it's the complacent nature of some students who think being at LSE gives them some big advantage in the high finance world that mean they end up graduating with 0 offers and a sub-par CV.

Academics and research doesnt matter at UG, all that matters is quality of teaching and from what i've heard both aren't amazing in terms of quality but they are rigorous.

BB IB placement and general front office is all that matters and UCL and LSE are pretty much equal there. Very little difference, both get societies sponsored by the big banks and plenty of opportunity.

Lmao, UG PE, Hedge funds and boutiques there's hardly any. Front office BB + tier 2 would have around 2-3k places, those jobs will have max. 100 if that even. Most of which will go to european students and masters who've got 2 PE internships from sweden or something. MBB placements, again, if you're a top student from UCL and Warwick those opportunities are open to you too, even at semi targets too.

You also completely disregard the fact that correlation does not equal to correlation, naturally the top most intelligent students will end up at elite institutions. LSE is a literal factory, you can't have a conversation with a stranger there without the discussion turning into admissions. Banks have recently cast a wider net, looking for talent elsewhere before the bank starts turning into a factory full of robots. It's just poor advice to give to people here.

Again, for most people international rep wont matter. All the big banks know which EMEA schools are good, and anyway most people will be hired in the UK so it's not something to stress about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly. People at top unis (or in my experience, offers from top unis) love to pretend that theyre in some massive advantage which may feed their ego now but will hurt them in the long run
Reply 14
My definition includes all the "sought-after" graduate positions (some of which you've outlined).

1. Class sizes are only 1000+ at the accounting firms and in the civil service fast stream mostly because they hire regionally across the UK - the other grad schemes vary between a few dozen to a low hundreds. Salaries depend on the industry.. Everything (from FO to BO) in financial services pays more than in most other industries. The true range for that category is like £23-45k.

2. Year-on-year there are about 15-16 universities that make up 90%+ of the FO intakes within finance. The 6 targets hold maybe ~60-65% of seats, aka nowhere near all of them. This is pretty consistently the case - there are also consistently represented "non-target"s like Leeds, York, etc every. year.

3. I did an SW at an EB, Oxbridge was probably the least represented in that programme vs Warwick/LSE. PE/HF is a complete non-starter, the number of firms who offer positions to grads is miniscule (talking about the non-quant world), it doesn't even make sense to consider it as a serious pathway when the IB>Buyside path is the pre-ordained way the vast majority of the buyside recruits junior people. Sure, MBB/tier 2 strat houses are an exception where being at Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Imperial is genuinely meaningful in increasing your odds but people still make the jump from other good unis.

Overall, I still stand by what I say. There are 15-16 consistently, statistically significantly represented universities across all "interesting" grad job routes, then the next 10-20 to round it out. After that point, unless your uni is particularly strong in a niche (or you're just an exceptional person), there's a pretty solid drop off in flows into these desirable gigs. It's certainly not top 5/6 or bust to have a good shot at a great entry level job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. I agree with your statement here, but one thing to note is that not only do these schemes start relatively lower than the other two mentioned, the rate of salary increase is generally much slower.

2. I disagree with the statement to an extent but I'd rather not get into a debate over statistics. The key point to take away here is that as long as you're smart, likeable, and at a good university, the doors are open for you. The extent of the opening however is highly dependent on the status of your University.

3. SW are a terrible indication of graduate employment, some firms treat them as 'access' programmes, hence Warwick students appearing more than Oxbridge. I'd urge you to look into full time recruiting for a truer picture.
I think the 'seriousness' of this pathway is entirely dependent on the drive and mindset of the applicant, the people hired into these roles are usually top of their class at the top institutions in the world, something which is an extraordinary feat, hence their extraordinary job placement.

Aside from these points, I do appreciate the well thought out reply.
Original post by rhaegar442

Again, for most people international rep wont matter. All the big banks know which EMEA schools are good, and anyway most people will be hired in the UK so it's not something to stress about.

Really want to touch on this.. The likelihood is that graduates will start off here in the UK before branching out abroad and by that point their education is pretty inconsequential vs their experience. Those trying to work for any international org of any note overseas straight out of uni will not be set back by the name brand of their university, they're more likely to be set back by visa, licensing or language complications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Youk
1. I agree with your statement here, but one thing to note is that not only do these schemes start relatively lower than the other two mentioned, the rate of salary increase is generally much slower.

2. I disagree with the statement to an extent but I'd rather not get into a debate over statistics. The key point to take away here is that as long as you're smart, likeable, and at a good university, the doors are open for you. The extent of the opening however is highly dependent on the status of your University.

3. SW are a terrible indication of graduate employment, some firms treat them as 'access' programmes, hence Warwick students appearing more than Oxbridge. I'd urge you to look into full time recruiting for a truer picture.
I think the 'seriousness' of this pathway is entirely dependent on the drive and mindset of the applicant, the people hired into these roles are usually top of their class at the top institutions in the world, something which is an extraordinary feat, hence their extraordinary job placement.

Aside from these points, I do appreciate the well thought out reply.

Accounting at big 4 and the like are still all good jobs, easily top 5% of graduate jobs around, if you put everything in comparison to IBD then nothing will ever be as good

Vast majority of the top jobs are open to you if you go to a reputable uni

Lmaoo, you say SWs are terrible indication but then earlier you used UG PE entry as a measure.
2 offers:

Your thoughts?

Cheers

Hi mate,

I've read the opinions above (other answers), but I'm not interested to delve into the intricacies of the rankings as per research quality, international reputation, staff-student ratio etc. etc.

Before I dive in to the careers talk. If you're a Londoner mate, just leave. Enjoy life outside of it. If you're a nightlife man, Notts has you and the accommodation is very reasonable. The campus is just beautiful and the course is top 10 (complete university guide). If you're really that held up over small details like who's 3rd or 6th etc. I'm telling you now it doesn't matter! I'm on a tier 1 BB FO internship myself this summer. I didn't feel disadvantaged at all and hell there were bloody smart Bocconni students at my AC who didn't get it! (maybe people at Notts are more sociable I don't know haha)

Bottom line is if you want (tier 1/tier 2) investment banking/big four/management consulting (excl. McKinsey, Bain, BCG) come to Nottingham! :smile: I'm very well connected in my year (2nd year Economics) and in a course of about 300 people, 50 people have easily secured internships at those type of firms I've just described. Don't believe me? LinkedIn search and check. It's staggering how well we're placing now vs. previous years. I put this down to NEFS and more career-focused students in our cohort. Most of these guys are nothing special as well. If you have a decent interest, apply early enough and have some experience which you can spin to make you look more favourable in the eyes of employers; it's easy pickings, genuinely.

If your choice is between those two, my honest advice is to pick straight economics at Nottingham. Single honours teaches you proper. Don't do the watered-down version at UCL since it's split between Geog and Econ (your module choice will be obviously more restricted than straight Econ!). London is just mad expensive and if you're just trying to a banker at a BB, you might as well have a good time in Notts and still with relative ease secure an internship. Make sure you got a few insight days (not even necessary) and some volunteering/customer-service based work experience and it's calm.

Disclaimer: I'm biased of course but come on, show some support and like this if you agree because people worry too much!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by nw2brightfuture
Hi mate,

I've read the opinions above (other answers), but I'm not interested to delve into the intricacies of the rankings as per research quality, international reputation, staff-student ratio etc. etc.

Before I dive in to the careers talk. If you're a Londoner mate, just leave. Enjoy life outside of it. If you're a nightlife man, Notts has you and the accommodation is very reasonable. The campus is just beautiful and the course is top 10 (complete university guide). If you're really that held up over small details like who's 3rd or 6th etc. I'm telling you now it doesn't matter! I'm on a tier 1 BB FO internship myself this summer. I didn't feel disadvantaged at all and hell there were bloody smart Bocconni students at my AC who didn't get it! (maybe people at Notts are more sociable I don't know haha)

Bottom line is if you want (tier 1/tier 2) investment banking/big four/management consulting (excl. McKinsey, Bain, BCG) come to Nottingham! :smile: I'm very well connected in my year (2nd year Economics) and in a course of about 300 people, 50 people have easily secured internships at those type of firms I've just described. Don't believe me? LinkedIn search and check. It's staggering how well we're placing now vs. previous years. I put this down to NEFS and more career-focused students in our cohort. Most of these guys are nothing special as well. If you have a decent interest, apply early enough and have some experience which you can spin to make you look more favourable in the eyes of employers; it's easy pickings, genuinely.

If your choice is between those two, my honest advice is to pick straight economics at Nottingham. Single honours teaches you proper. Don't do the watered-down version at UCL since it's split between Geog and Econ (your module choice will be obviously more restricted than straight Econ!). London is just mad expensive and if you're just trying to a banker at a BB, you might as well have a good time in Notts and still with relative ease secure an internship. Make sure you got a few insight days (not even necessary) and some volunteering/customer-service based work experience and it's calm. PM me for more examples/advice (this goes to everyone not just the OP).

Disclaimer: I'm biased of course but come on, show some support and like this if you agree because people worry too much!

Can confirm all of this. NEFS has done really well, have known the past few (and current) presidents - all have kept the momentum going.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Come to Nottingham! We are really good at economics...you will be in the clive granger building and kids that do econ are truly treated like royalty oncampus. You will be exposed to some of the best research and innovative thinking! Notts has all facets of economics covered, micro to macro to behavioural economics and psychology. You can also major in economics and all schools are allowed to take courses outside of their school, ironically the economics department and geography department share facilities here! So you would have the opportunity to take some geography classes if you so wished and not even switch buildings! Further, the nightlife and the low cost of living will make you a happy person! London is only 1.5 hrs by train so going home wont be an issue. You can have very similar career prospects with either degree honestly it comes down to the person! Nottingham grads are very employable and do internships all over. Also their is the opportunity to do a year abroad in Nottingham Malaysia or Nottingham China, im doing my full year abroad in Nottingham Malaysia as part of the business school! (International Management) No one can beat us on year abroad opportunities! Plus there is the Nottingham advantage award led by employers (some top) to give you great extra curriculars and CV building. All Economics and Business students are part of the business society with well over 2,000 members!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest