Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

i want to go to john deans college, it has a better reputation, good facilities and lots of students.
    However it quite far away so the day will be one/two hours longer. I could struggle here because i dont know anyone, not even the teachers.
    here i can take maths, drama, law and history.

My other option is to go to appleton college, the sixth form to my school. I feel like i will miss out on the new oppurtunies and be left behind from my friends.
    However its just up the road, i know the teachers and i know i will do well here. and plus,
    here i can take philosphy, critical thinking, french, history and drama
    does this sound more impressive to universitys, even if the college doesnt have a great reputation?

which college should i go? should i move on in life? or should i get more impressive a levels? should i go on what i will enjoy most? heart or head?

ReputationRep:
    Critical Thinking isn't impressive anywhere, so I wouldn't even factor that into your decision even if you have to take it.

Both combinations therefore sound equally impressive, so you should just go to the place you want to go to the most. Appleton sounds like it will be more practical.

ReputationRep:
    Do universities look at the reputation of your 6th form education? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    yeh and key skills ict isnt either is it? thats another addition to john deanes.

its the party new friends fun atmospher
    vs the practical comftable situation?

ReputationRep:
    i was told so that an individual college is better than a school college.
    john deanes is one of the top sixth forms and so i think i wud benefit from attending here.

if you go to a poor college and get amazing grades then surely this wont be a factor. thats a positive obv. i wudnt worry, they prob dont.

ReputationRep:
    What do you want to do at uni? Obviously for a lot of things French and Philosophy will be more impressive than Maths and Law (or vice versa), and for some subjects (Law and Medicine in particular) Critical Thinking could help with the entrance exams.

College reputation doesn't really matter at all to universities - it might even count against you to some extent since AAA from a failing school shows more intelligence than AAA from Eton.

ReputationRep:
    Law is seen as one of the 'softer' A-levels (not my personal opinion before I get flamed!) While French and any language really, is seen as one of the hardest.

In the end go where you prefer, but if you do brilliantly from a lower performing school it might work in your favour, while if you're just 1 of 100 students who are set to achieve AAA from your A-levels from the better college. You don't really stand out, if you get me? Good luck with your decision.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.