The Student Room Group
Best: Forgiven
Worst: Disqualification
I really hope it doesn't come to that, do let me know of the outcome
Are you stupid? Oml...
Something i can see myself doing, try and make it obvious its a mistake.
b r u h. did the invigilators not say at the start no calculators?
RIP
Well, you are likely to still get a grade. Often in such cases the exam board simply deducts some marks (5% usually according to my Maths teacher), but it's completely up to them.

In the worst case they can choose to give you zero for that exam, but given you realized your mistake and didn't try to hide the calculator (which would seem far more malicious) it is extremely unlikely they will go that route.

Moderators don't hate you, if they think it was an accident they will try their best to prevent you from being affected too much.

EDIT: Apparently someone in my school did this with their C1 Maths Paper in 2014. They got a mark deduction of 10%, but given that the vast majority of questions on a C1 paper can be answered with absolutely no effort if allowed a calculator, this makes sense. In your case they will likely be more lenient, as I'm sure a calculator has rather limited use in a Computer Science paper
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by somebrick
b r u h. did the invigilators not say at the start no calculators?

I think so but they never said put calculator in bags
Original post by muffinmachine
Well, you are likely to still get a grade. Often in such cases the exam board simply deducts some marks (5% usually according to my Maths teacher), but it's completely up to them.

In the worst case they can choose to give you zero for that exam, but given you realized your mistake and didn't try to hide the calculator (which would seem far more malicious) it is extremely unlikely they will go that route.

Moderators don't hate you, if they think it was an accident they will try their best to prevent you from being affected too much.

Yeah I think that’s the most likely outcome. You made a mistake - it wasn’t on purpose.
Original post by Deorbiting

Yeah...

PROBABLY BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T EXPECT PEOPLE TO HAVE ****ING CALCULATORS

Surely you have done enough past papers etc to know it wasn't a calculator paper???

Anyways...Can you try and talk to your schools exams officer?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Bill Nye
Yeah...

PROBABLY BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T EXPECT PEOPLE TO HAVE ****ING CALCULATORS

Surely you have done enough past papers etc to know it wasn't a calculator paper???

Yes I spoke to them and they have said it would be up to the exam board
Original post by Deorbiting

because you're not really supposed to bring them with you into the exam room in the first place
Original post by Bill Nye

Actually, that's a very good point. Definitely do that. They are more likely to take your side if they believe you themselves, and that's not going to happen if you avoid them.

I would advise that you talk to your exams officer about what happened, admit that you made a mistake (don't try justifying yourself; the more apologetic you seem, the more likely they are to believe that it really was a mistake) and actually apologize to them: as far as they are concerned, you are just another student trying to cheat the system. Don't ask what you can do to make things better for yourself, at least not the first time you talk to them. Just apologize and leave, if there is anything to be done they will tell you themselves.

Do anything and everything you can to make them like you, because whilst it is up to the exam board in the end, they tend to act as advised by the moderators.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by muffinmachine
Actually, that's a very good point. Definitely do that. They are more likely to take your side if they believe you themselves, and that's not going to happen if you avoid them.

I would advise that you talk to your exams officer about what happened, admit that you made a mistake (don't try justifying yourself; the more apologetic you seem, the more likely they are to believe that it really was a mistake) and actually apologize to them: as far as they are concerned, you are just another student trying to cheat the system. Don't ask what you can do to make things better for yourself, at least not the first time you talk to them. Just apologize and leave, if there is anything to be done they will tell you themselves.

Do anything and everything you can to make them like you, because whilst it is up to the exam board in the end, they tend to act as advised by the moderators.

Thanks I will speak to them tomorrow since they want to see me before my English exam tomorrow when I first went to them I apologized and they said they will speak to the exam board and me later in the week
In my opinion its fine. You were mistaken and there were no math calculation questions in the paper anyway. so you should be okay. Dont worry
please i need to know what happened
Original post by pleasetellme

Hi, this conversation is 5 years old so it's very unlikely anyone will reply I'm afraid.

Why do you need to know what happened, has something similar happened to you?

this is urgent
this is urgent

We can help you find an answer but we need to know what exactly you want to find out and what has happened? As I've said before the conversation above is from 5 years ago so it's unlikely the person will be around any time soon to reply.

Latest