The Student Room Group

Ken Livingstone quits Labour after antisemitism claims

Ken Livingstone has announced that he is resigning from the Labour party, saying the issues around his suspension for alleged antisemitism had become a “distraction”.

In a statement on Twitter, Livingstone said: “After much consideration, I have decided to resign from the Labour party.

“We desperately need a Corbyn-led government to transform Britain & I’ll continue to work to this end.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/may/21/ken-livingstone-quits-labour-after-antisemitism-claims
I bet he can’t make 24 hours before giving his first interview mentioning Hitler
He definitely quit out of embarassement. It was inevitable that he had left, because if he had stayed, he would have just become a mini Donald Trump in the media
Livingston is a reminder that in the world of politics, telling the truth can cost you more than lying.
hmmm this could be a night of the long knives....
Original post by the bear
hmmm this could be a night of the long knives....

He will have to wait for the Birthday Honours List to become one of them.
Original post by nulli tertius
He will have to wait for the Birthday Honours List to become one of them.

newtatis newtandis
It's all for the sake of appearances, well in character for the lot. Livingstone doesn't think he's ever said anything untoward, Corbyn is of the same opinion but he is still sacrificing him to look tough on this anti-Semitism thing within the party, Livingstone has told him he'll go quietly because he can't be bothered to go through the whole charade at his age.

Whether Corbyn is pushing him out as part of his bid to gain full control over the ranks is something our Labourite correspondents are better positioned to judge on. Let us know if that is the case, we know there are a few currents at play under the plates.
(edited 5 years ago)
Good job this part of the whole sorry saga is over now.

It's his own stupid fault. At every opportunity to shut up, he kept digging.
Reply 9
Original post by the bear
newtatis newtandis

mutatis mutandis...
Reply 10
I though't he was given the boot by them a while ago?
Reply 11
Original post by zhog
It's all for the sake of appearances, well in character for the lot. Livingstone doesn't think he's ever said anything untoward, Corbyn is of the same opinion but he is still sacrificing him to look tough on this anti-Semitism thing within the party, Livingstone has told him he'll go quietly because he can't be bothered to go through the whole charade at his age.

Whether Corbyn is pushing him out as part of his bid to gain full control over the ranks is something our Labourite correspondents are better positioned to judge on. Let us know if that is the case, we know there are a few currents at play under the plates.

Par for the course in politics really. Pretty much the same reason Rudd got sacked from the cabinet a few weeks ago - political parties need someone to conveniently take a fall from time to time in order to maintain/improve the party image.

Quick Reply

Latest