The Student Room Group

Sign of the four+Macbeth predictions gcse 2018 AQA

Guys I'm really stuck on sign of the four,have you got any predictions that coould help? Or any way that could make revision easier? Because I'm good at literature (I do Inspector calls,Macbeth and Sign of the four) but with sign of the 4 I always get stuck and never know what to revise properly.
Thank you to whoever helps!

Scroll to see replies

I’m stuck too 😭
Reply 2
Original post by Laura0905
I’m stuck too 😭

Oh great!:frown: We will have to wait for someone to reply
For Macbeth, obvious questions seem to be loyalty, lady Macbeth as a powerful woman and Macbeth's guilt/unstable mind
Reply 4
Original post by G-Wizzle
For Macbeth, obvious questions seem to be loyalty, lady Macbeth as a powerful woman and Macbeth's guilt/unstable mind

Many and my teacher too was saying that maybe the thee of supernatural would come up?
Original post by ikky13
Many and my teacher too was saying that maybe the thee of supernatural would come up?

oh I hope so.
My English tutor is an examiner and she has said that a lot of questions based on relationships i.e Macbeth’s and lady Macbeth’s.

I plan loads of questions so if a question comes up in the exam I more or less already have a plan for it.
Reply 7
Original post by bluxwatxr
My English tutor is an examiner and she has said that a lot of questions based on relationships i.e Macbeth’s and lady Macbeth’s.

I plan loads of questions so if a question comes up in the exam I more or less already have a plan for it.

Thats a good way to revise you know? Never really thought of doing plans
Original post by ikky13
Thats a good way to revise you know? Never really thought of doing plans

Planning for literature paper one is quite easy, I usually get 7s/8s in my mocks and I use this plan:
1. Introduction- with brief mention of themes
2. Talk about the extract
3. Talk about the extract
4. Context (AO3 assessment objective)
5. Novella/play
6. Novella/ play
7. Extract again
8. Novella/ play
9. Context
10. Conclusion- with a key quote you have no used yet

(Also can get rid of the last novella and last extract paragraph) I hope this helps (:
Reply 9
Planning for literature paper one is quite easy, I usually get 7s/8s in my mocks and I use this plan:
1. Introduction- with brief mention of themes
2. Talk about the extract
3. Talk about the extract
4. Context (AO3 assessment objective)
5. Novella/play
6. Novella/ play
7. Extract again
8. Novella/ play
9. Context
10. Conclusion- with a key quote you have no used yet

(Also can get rid of the last novella and last extract paragraph) I hope this helps (:

Thank you so much! This is actually helping a lot. Do you know any ways on learning well quotes?
Original post by ikky13
Thank you so much! This is actually helping a lot. Do you know any ways on learning well quotes?

For leaning quotes, I normally write out all of the themes that occur in the play/ novella and then next to them write a few quotes that link to them e.g for the theme of appearance versus reality- anything that links to duplicity eg snakes

It’s a bit time consuming but it helps because you have to talk about themes in order to achieve a good grade. The gist is that when you think of a theme- you should think of the quote also
Reply 11
For leaning quotes, I normally write out all of the themes that occur in the play/ novella and then next to them write a few quotes that link to them e.g for the theme of appearance versus reality- anything that links to duplicity eg snakes

It’s a bit time consuming but it helps because you have to talk about themes in order to achieve a good grade. The gist is that when you think of a theme- you should think of the quote also

What I've been doing because of the exam is write quotes for the characters and quotes for the themes and then simply learn them but I'm really scared that I will forget them or just blank out during the exam. Right now I've started to read over the answers that I wrote regarding the relationship of the Macbeths and the theme of supernatural.
Original post by ikky13
What I've been doing because of the exam is write quotes for the characters and quotes for the themes and then simply learn them but I'm really scared that I will forget them or just blank out during the exam. Right now I've started to read over the answers that I wrote regarding the relationship of the Macbeths and the theme of supernatural.

Tomorrow, what I’m going to do is as soon as my exam starts I’m going to write every quote I can remember for both of the texts or read the question and write the quotes related to the question- this way when you get half way through a question you already have what you remember so you won’t need to stress
Reply 13
Tomorrow, what I’m going to do is as soon as my exam starts I’m going to write every quote I can remember for both of the texts or read the question and write the quotes related to the question- this way when you get half way through a question you already have what you remember so you won’t need to stress

For my January mocks I first read the question,wrote quotes and then made a plan but I feel as if your method is better so I might as well use it. To be honest,I think I'm gonna be alright with Macbeth,It's sign of the four which i find my weakest. What about you?
Original post by ikky13
For my January mocks I first read the question,wrote quotes and then made a plan but I feel as if your method is better so I might as well use it. To be honest,I think I'm gonna be alright with Macbeth,It's sign of the four which i find my weakest. What about you?

I study Macbeth (obviously) and Jekyll and Hyde also inspector calls but that’s not until Friday! I think the only hard thing is remembering the context, for Macbeth there’s not much only that Shakespeare wrote it as a way of highlighting the chain of being and because of the gun powder plot- sway people towards king James. Another thing about Macbeth that’s quite interesting is that James 1 had a necklace that he wore with a flower on the front and a snake on the back (look like the innocent flower but be the serpent under’t) so that would have spoken directly to him
Reply 15
I study Macbeth (obviously) and Jekyll and Hyde also inspector calls but that’s not until Friday! I think the only hard thing is remembering the context, for Macbeth there’s not much only that Shakespeare wrote it as a way of highlighting the chain of being and because of the gun powder plot- sway people towards king James. Another thing about Macbeth that’s quite interesting is that James 1 had a necklace that he wore with a flower on the front and a snake on the back (look like the innocent flower but be the serpent under’t) so that would have spoken directly to him

Oh my God,if a question about Macbeth comes up and i'll need that quote,that context would be great to talk about and if properly analyzed it could be a high grade. And yeah! I study Inspector calls too but i think that it is a straight forward novel to analyse anyway and it's on Friday as you said. I really hope they will be nice with us on the questions because I'm stronger on lit and I would really want to get a high grade.
Original post by ikky13
Oh my God,if a question about Macbeth comes up and i'll need that quote,that context would be great to talk about and if properly analyzed it could be a high grade. And yeah! I study Inspector calls too but i think that it is a straight forward novel to analyse anyway and it's on Friday as you said. I really hope they will be nice with us on the questions because I'm stronger on lit and I would really want to get a high grade.

They definitely won’t ask us anything too hard as the foundation kids are also doing this paper and unlike in the language papers they will need to be able to get easy marks I.e make it into the grading system so the questions will be easy
Reply 17
They definitely won’t ask us anything too hard as the foundation kids are also doing this paper and unlike in the language papers they will need to be able to get easy marks I.e make it into the grading system so the questions will be easy

Yeah that would make sense,honestly hope the best for the both of us tomorrow! You've helped me a lot,I've got to say :smile: I'm probably gonna go sleep,so I can wake up early tomorrow and revise with a fresh mind ready for the exam. I'll tell you tomorrow how it goes,hopefully it will go well
Original post by ikky13
Yeah that would make sense,honestly hope the best for the both of us tomorrow! You've helped me a lot,I've got to say :smile: I'm probably gonna go sleep,so I can wake up early tomorrow and revise with a fresh mind ready for the exam. I'll tell you tomorrow how it goes,hopefully it will go well

Thank you! Good luck!!
Don’t know about you guys but we’ve always been taught to do a peelee paragraph. So you do your point with evidence from the extract and an explanation and then link the same point to another part of the book with another explanation.

I.e Shakespeare uses metaphors to ..... (example from extract and explanation) this is also shown when (another metaphor from another part of play)

So do:
Intro
Peelee
Peelee
Peelee
Conclusion
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest