History 2N AQA Russia and the revolution (AQA) Watch

creac080200
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Does anyone doing this unit want to form a study group on this thread? I thought we could all plan essays together and chip in with different pieces of info as I find it really helpful to get another person's perspective on a question.
bloodygoth
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I would love to!
creac080200
Rep:
?
(Original post by bloodygoth)
I would love to!
Perfect; I was planning a question from the 2017 paper (below) and was wondering if anyone had any other thoughts/better examples than I came up with? Please don't be afraid of offending me- if you think my argument is too tenuous, I would prefer to know now rather than later!

AQA 2017: How far was Stalin’s creation of a Soviet bloc in Eastern Europe after the Second World War the result of his obsession with ensuring international security for the USSR?

Introduction:- I agree with the statement, Stalin had always aimed to outstrip the capitalist nations economically and was now facing growing anti-communist threats in Western Europe and so wanted to ensure Soviet security.

YES, I AGREE WITH THE STATEMENT:
  • - Stalin’s own paranoia previously exhibited through the purges and the killing of those who had been outside the USSR including POWs
  • - Greatly concerned about the possibly of further conflict with Germany; this was exacerbated by the Truman Doctrine and the Marshall Plan and its possibility to help Germany rebuild
  • - The USSR was particularly weak following the war (20 million deaths, low agricultural production), were vulnerable to attack
  • - Fear concerning growing anti-western feeling (NATO, Marshall Aid, the Iron Curtain speech)
  • - Stalin greatly desired a ‘friendly’ Eastern Germany; he was terrified by the prospect of a united, anti-communist Germany

NO, I DISAGREE WITH THE STATEMENT:
  • - Previously had cared only about the security of the USSR; wanted the SU to be left alone to concentrate of building their industrial economy
  • Ø Now Stalin was becoming more focused on spreading communism across the world (salami tactic, Comecon, sending communists to infiltrate western trade unions)
  • - Stalin was concerned less so with international security and more so with his own power base (harsh treatment of prisoners of war, Beria in charge of developing an atom bomb to rival that of the USA)
  • - Stalin aimed to strengthen the economy of the USSR through expansionism

Conclusion: Stalin’s aims are summed up through the term ‘buffer states’ (aimed to cushion the USSR in the result of another invasion), address his paranoia and the considerable weaknesses of the USSR following WW2.
bloodygoth
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
[QUOTE=creac080200;77796264]Perfect; I was planning a question from the 2017 paper (below) and was wondering if anyone had any other thoughts/better examples than I came up with? Please don't be afraid of offending me- if you think my argument is too tenuous, I would prefer to know now rather than later!

AQA 2017: How far was Stalin’s creation of a Soviet bloc in Eastern Europe after the Second World War the result of his obsession with ensuring international security for the USSR?

I agree with everything you said. However I think my argument would lean more to the idea about Stalin's/ Soviet prestige
The Eastern bloc was created due to failing of USSR in the East and that being compared to the rapidly recovering Western Germany. This would have been a serious propaganda weakness to the USSR.
I think you did slightly hint at this in the point about the Stalin's power base though.

Your plan was very good to be honest I couldn't think of anything to add!!

creac080200
Rep:
?
The Eastern bloc was created due to failing of USSR in the East and that being compared to the rapidly recovering Western Germany. This would have been a serious propaganda weakness to the USSR.
I think you did slightly hint at this in the point about the Stalin's power base though.

[/QUOTE]

Would you be able to explain a bit about what you mean by his failings in the East or give some examples I could use please?
bloodygoth
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by creac080200)

Would you be able to explain a bit about what you mean by his failings in the East or give some examples I could use please?[/QUOTE]

- Glaring gap between West which is rapidly flourishing and the East ( there is not as much progression in the East)
- June 1948 New currency in West Berlin - Western powers wanted to institute a currency reform to help get West back on its feet.

Stalin represented the Soviet Union and was a personification of all that was best in Russia (as seen through the 'Cult of Stalin')
This very physical evidence of failure could not easily be hidden through propaganda
Thus to some extent the creation of the Soviet bloc was to restore the damaged Soviet prestige.
creac080200
Rep:
?
(Original post by bloodygoth)
Would you be able to explain a bit about what you mean by his failings in the East or give some examples I could use please?
- Glaring gap between West which is rapidly flourishing and the East ( there is not as much progression in the East)
- June 1948 New currency in West Berlin - Western powers wanted to institute a currency reform to help get West back on its feet.

Stalin represented the Soviet Union and was a personification of all that was best in Russia (as seen through the 'Cult of Stalin'
This very physical evidence of failure could not easily be hidden through propaganda
Thus to some extent the creation of the Soviet bloc was to restore the damaged Soviet prestige.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much, that's extremely helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (36)
13.95%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.14%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (54)
20.93%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (37)
14.34%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (32)
12.4%
How can I be the best version of myself? (78)
30.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed