The Student Room Group

Help with Chemistry Questions!

I need help with these chemistry questions and the material I have to help isn't explaining anything. P.s. I don't have any background in Chemistry hence me struggling.

1. The integrated rate laws for a zero, first and second order reaction are given respectively by the following equations

[A] = [A]0 - k0t

ln[A] = ln[A]0 - k1t

1/[A] = 1/[A]0 + kt2

For k0 = 20 mol.dm-3.s-1
For k1 = 20 s-1
For k2 = 20 dm3.mol-1.s1

[A]0 = 0.6 mol.dm-3

Calculate the first and second half-lives in each case.

2. The results of a molecular orbital calculation are shown in NH3 are shown in Appendix 1.

a. Examine each of the orbitals and classify them as bonding, antibonding or non-bonding

b. Assign the correct number of electrons to the energy diagram

c. According to this energy diagram, is NH3 stable? Explain.

d. Starting with the VSEPR theory, work out the electron pair geometry, molecular geometry and hybridisation scheme for the molecule NH3. Comment on the existence or not of pi or sigma bonds and lone pairs. Relate your findings on bonds and lone pairs to the molecular orbital diagram given in Appendix 1.
Original post by Rockadieprincess
I need help with these chemistry questions and the material I have to help isn't explaining anything. P.s. I don't have any background in Chemistry hence me struggling.

1. The integrated rate laws for a zero, first and second order reaction are given respectively by the following equations

[A] = [A]0 - k0t

ln[A] = ln[A]0 - k1t

1/[A] = 1/[A]0 + kt2

For k0 = 20 mol.dm-3.s-1
For k1 = 20 s-1
For k2 = 20 dm3.mol-1.s1

[A]0 = 0.6 mol.dm-3

Calculate the first and second half-lives in each case.

2. The results of a molecular orbital calculation are shown in NH3 are shown in Appendix 1.

a. Examine each of the orbitals and classify them as bonding, antibonding or non-bonding

b. Assign the correct number of electrons to the energy diagram

c. According to this energy diagram, is NH3 stable? Explain.

d. Starting with the VSEPR theory, work out the electron pair geometry, molecular geometry and hybridisation scheme for the molecule NH3. Comment on the existence or not of pi or sigma bonds and lone pairs. Relate your findings on bonds and lone pairs to the molecular orbital diagram given in Appendix 1.

This is undergraduate-level stuff you don't do until you get to uni, it's no wonder you're struggling... Have you managed to make a start on anything since posting this? It'd be good to have a starting point to go from :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest