purplepantherxx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I used to do a level maths and 3 other subjects but then I dropped maths. Now it's too late to pick it back up and most good universities require it to study economics. Can you please let me know of any universities that I can study economics without maths in. Preferably a russel group. Thank you
username3440160
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I study econ at a top London uni and honestly you won’t get anywhere without the maths. Even if you find a uni that will take u without the maths a level, economics is so maths based that it’s near impossible to cope without having that maths and even further maths knowledge. I’m sorry but definitely reconsider another degree
RP990
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SherlockD)
I study econ at a top London uni and honestly you won’t get anywhere without the maths. Even if you find a uni that will take u without the maths a level, economics is so maths based that it’s near impossible to cope without having that maths and even further maths knowledge. I’m sorry but definitely reconsider another degree
I'm planning to do economics at uni without maths. Specifically PPE, and the only UNI to give me an offer/ have an econmics degree that doesn't demand maths was Birmingham. Luckily enough I loved it there so trying to aim AAB. But if you want a top 10 Uni, then no, no chance. Maths is indeed a necessity, especially if wanting to do pure economics. I haven't seen a uni offer economics without some high demand for mathematics A level.
username3440160
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RP990)
I'm planning to do economics at uni without maths. Specifically PPE, and the only UNI to give me an offer/ have an econmics degree that doesn't demand maths was Birmingham. Luckily enough I loved it there so trying to aim AAB. But if you want a top 10 Uni, then no, no chance. Maths is indeed a necessity, especially if wanting to do pure economics. I haven't seen a uni offer economics without some high demand for mathematics A level.
That’s good man . Knuckle down and get those grades. Obviously a lot of sacrifice but soooo worth it when you enter UCAS on the morning of results day and find that you’ve made it
kkmlkk
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did maths, economics, politics and history at AS level and dropped Maths for A-level as I was weak at it.
I was going to go into economics but I talked to a few people including my economics tutors, a couple of people in the industry on linkedin and a few university students and they all said maths is so very important for economics courses. Therefore I never studied economics/didn't have the balls to risk doing it with maths being my weak subject. I hope if you decide to do it that you prove this standard that I was advised wrong.
RP990
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That’s good man . Knuckle down and get those grades. Obviously a lot of sacrifice but soooo worth it when you enter UCAS on the morning of results day and find that you’ve made it
I'm scared bro, feel like I have a lot to do with two weeks left.

At Uni, waht is the maths like by the way. How is the course? Apparently courses really differ at every uni. Almost like each uni is it's very own exam board so they differ in difficulty. I'm not used to that idea, so used to seeing OCR/AQA/EDEXCEL .
username3440160
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RP990)
I'm scared bro, feel like I have a lot to do with two weeks left.

At Uni, waht is the maths like by the way. How is the course? Apparently courses really differ at every uni. Almost like each uni is it's very own exam board so they differ in difficulty. I'm not used to that idea, so used to seeing OCR/AQA/EDEXCEL .
Honestly don’t be scared. Just keep up the work and it’ll all pay off. Be confident.

At my uni ( UCL), the maths is a bit crazy. Uni maths is never about having the right answer. It’s about understanding how and why things work the way they do and that’s difficult to get your head around. And yes every uni has a different course and that’s why unis are ranked the way they are based on the intensity of the degree ( e.g. it’s harder to get a First from Cambridge relative to UCL so a Cambridge degree is valued more.) And yes, every uni is its own exam board- the benefit is they boost their own statistics by inflating your grade.
RP990
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Honestly don’t be scared. Just keep up the work and it’ll all pay off. Be confident.

At my uni ( UCL), the maths is a bit crazy. Uni maths is never about having the right answer. It’s about understanding how and why things work the way they do and that’s difficult to get your head around. And yes every uni has a different course and that’s why unis are ranked the way they are based on the intensity of the degree ( e.g. it’s harder to get a First from Cambridge relative to UCL so a Cambridge degree is valued more.) And yes, every uni is its own exam board- the benefit is they boost their own statistics by inflating your grade.

I have two weeks to finish chem and eco, I just want to end it all here now. Still have a lot to do bro, so talking about uni's is painful.
kat-2728
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by purplepantherxx)
I used to do a level maths and 3 other subjects but then I dropped maths. Now it's too late to pick it back up and most good universities require it to study economics. Can you please let me know of any universities that I can study economics without maths in. Preferably a russel group. Thank you
Hi did you end up choosing to do economics? Currently at uni, but don’t like my course and considering reapplying for economics, but don’t know if I’ll be able to get into a good uni bc I didn’t do a level maths
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (525)
33.76%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (643)
41.35%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (315)
20.26%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.63%

Watched Threads