The Student Room Group

Anyone here make music? (Any genre)

Hey, I was wondering if anyone here makes music. And if you do what genre, indie, dnb etc? Are you solo or in a group? Is it for fun or do you want to make a career out of it?
Would you share a link of your stuff (whether it be on Youtube, Soundcloud, Spotify etc)? If you want via pm.
I make beats & im a decent spitter. Most my stuff uploaded on the net is old though with my best stuff still in the vaults ready to be released as projects when the time is right :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by PooPooHead123
I make beats & im a decent spitter. Most my stuff uploaded on the net is old though with my best stuff still in the vaults ready to be released as projects when the time is right :wink:

I guess I'll just have to wait for you to get big haha
Yh on my channel fangshow on yt i make music
Reply 4
Original post by nicetwo
Hey, I was wondering if anyone here makes music. And if you do what genre, indie, dnb etc? Are you solo or in a group? Is it for fun or do you want to make a career out of it?
Would you share a link of your stuff (whether it be on Youtube, Soundcloud, Spotify etc)? If you want via pm.

I'm not sure if this is the genre you're asking for, I make classical music. I'm a piano player so I play and well as compose some music from time to time. I've performed them at events and small occasions.
I haven't really put some of my compositions on soundcloud yet, I'm actually thinking about it.
Reply 5
Original post by Fangshow

I'll check it out
Reply 6
I honestly don't listen to a lot of classical music but when you post some I'd love to give it a listen
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Fangshow

If I found the right channel - it's pretty sick fairs
Reply 8
Original post by nicetwo
I thought indie was a distribution method, not a genre.

I do some playing and record from time to time. Not sure what you'd call it, I guess it's closer to bad prog than anything else.
Reply 9
Original post by HKP24
I'm not sure if this is the genre you're asking for, I make classical music. I'm a piano player so I play and well as compose some music from time to time. I've performed them at events and small occasions.
I haven't really put some of my compositions on soundcloud yet, I'm actually thinking about it.
I thought the classical period was over? What do I know :iiam:

Please please don't use SoundCloud. The terms of use are quite clear on one thing, but people never even notice it: when you upload a recording onto SoundCloud, you are giving them the rights to the recording and also giving them the intellectual property of the music. If you put something on there, you waive all legal rights to it.

You're much better off using sites like BandCamp. BandCamp itself is a pretty open publication platform, allows you to upload music to be streamed free or for payment (you can choose) and gives you the option for selling your own physical copies/merch through the site too. You retain all rights and have absolute control over your information.
Reply 10
Original post by Tootles
I thought the classical period was over? What do I know :iiam:

Please please don't use SoundCloud. The terms of use are quite clear on one thing, but people never even notice it: when you upload a recording onto SoundCloud, you are giving them the rights to the recording and also giving them the intellectual property of the music. If you put something on there, you waive all legal rights to it.

You're much better off using sites like BandCamp. BandCamp itself is a pretty open publication platform, allows you to upload music to be streamed free or for payment (you can choose) and gives you the option for selling your own physical copies/merch through the site too. You retain all rights and have absolute control over your information.

The classical period has ended, however, you can still compose music in the style of the genre.

I didn't know about that- thanks so much for informing me about it :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by nicetwo
I honestly don't listen to a lot of classical music but when you post some I'd love to give it a listen

Thanks so much for the support- like a lot of people make fun of me because I like Classical Music and not the 21st century type music that many people listen to, so a very few give me encouragement
so your support is appreciated
Reply 12
Original post by Tootles
I thought indie was a distribution method, not a genre.

I do some playing and record from time to time. Not sure what you'd call it, I guess it's closer to bad prog than anything else.

From my understanding (which isn't that great haha) the term indie came from independently produced so yes a distribution method, but more recently (I couldn't tell you when) indie is often used to describe some bands that aren't independent, though I couldn't tell you exactly what is counted as indie.
Reply 13
Original post by HKP24
Thanks so much for the support- like a lot of people make fun of me because I like Classical Music and not the 21st century type music that many people listen to, so a very few give me encouragement
so your support is appreciated

It's all good:smile: Keep doing what you enjoy
Used to:

1 2 3 4 5
Original post by HKP24

I've been quite partial to this of late, rudimentary though it is.
Original post by nicetwo
If I found the right channel - it's pretty sick fairs

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest