The Student Room Group

Is this degree worth it?

I have a massive interest in physics, and as i dont know what i want to do as a job, i thought i may aswell go and do something im interested in, physics.
Im starting to get concerned that my job opportunities after competing it that i will have a limited range of jobs. Im starting to feel like i should do engineering or something. Im in year 12.
Should i carry on with my passion for physics or do something like engineering? Im doing maths, physics and computer science.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by steveeem
I have a massive interest in physics, and as i dont know what i want to do as a job, i thought i may aswell go and do something im interested in, physics.
Im starting to get concerned that my job opportunities after competing it that i will have a limited range of jobs. Im starting to feel like i should do engineering or something. Im in year 12.
Should i carry on with my passion for physics or do something like engineering? Im doing maths, physics and computer science.

Unless you enjoy engineering you will be miserable. Go with what you enjoy. Not sure why you have the impression that jobs are limited as you can do anything that uses your transferable skills. People who think that jobs are limited are usually the ones who think they can work in the field without further study.
Reply 2
If you enjoy physics do a BSc Physics course. You can always do an MSc in Engineering or CompSci afterwards (if you still feel the need).

There's plenty of jobs potentially available with a Physics degree. Indeed most vacancies don't specify a subject at all.
Heya,

My advice would always be to do what you're passionate about! It makes everything else easier and you are far more likely to do well in your degree if you really love what you're doing and feel it has purpose and importance. Don't worry too much about the job prospects for now - it will fall into place and you could end up doing something very different to what you intended.

I hope this helps a bit!

Lilith

Hi Adviser Rosy here from the National Careers Service,

It’s great that you are thinking ahead with regard to the opportunities available after you finish your degree.

One way you could look into this further is by looking at the Prospects website under the section “What can I do with my degree?” from here you can look at a range of subject areas to find out what job roles are available with each degree subject. Once you click on a subject the website takes you to a page where you have a list of jobs which lead directly from the subject and a second list of jobs which the subject would be useful for but not required.

This is really useful because each job is a hyperlink to the job profile which will allow you to explore in more detail any careers you are interested in. You could start by looking at the Physics degree and follow up by comparing it with any careers available from the engineering degree.

If you find you are more interested in the engineering careers, it could be useful to look at the breakdown of some engineering courses as there may be many physics elements within that degree.

When you are looking at job profiles it might also be worth considering that not all jobs are widely available in all areas and some jobs have better employment rates than others. Our trained advisers can help you to find this kind of information, they are available 8am to 10pm, every day and you can contact them through our helpline on 0800 100 900 or you can webchat, email, or arrange a call back from our website at:
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/contact-us/home

I know this seems like a lot of research to do but hopefully this will give you the information you need to make a realistic we-informed decision, and don’t forget there’s no limit to the amount of times you can contact the National Careers Service, we’re a free impartial service that can help you every step of the way to your ideal career!

Good luck!

Rosy

i have the same problem I love pure math and physics and thinking of taking both as my careers and go up to the furthest but my fear is again job because pure math can't get you a job unless you are at master's or doctorate level...physics can get you a job after graduation but I'm not sure if it's alot of money.....it depends with you are you interested in making money or interested in the field as for me I don't have alot of interest in money but I need to think of job so I can finance my other courses myself and not depend on my parents. hope I helped :smile: btw physics is really cool and I Think just go for it and I'm sure things will move well :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by brainmaster
i have the same problem I love pure math and physics and thinking of taking both as my careers and go up to the furthest but my fear is again job because pure math can't get you a job unless you are at master's or doctorate level...physics can get you a job after graduation but I'm not sure if it's alot of money.....it depends with you are you interested in making money or interested in the field as for me I don't have alot of interest in money but I need to think of job so I can finance my other courses myself and not depend on my parents. hope I helped :smile: btw physics is really cool and I Think just go for it and I'm sure things will move well :smile:

Same here. I love pure maths at a level obviously it isn't like real life maths but still. I would love to do maths and physics joint but I'm just concerned about career opportunities especially for maths. I care more about how much I enjoy my job but obviously I don't want to be dirt poor. Always been interested in robotics as well but don't know if thats a possibility with a physics degree
Same here. I love pure maths at a level obviously it isn't like real life maths but still. I would love to do maths and physics joint but I'm just concerned about career opportunities especially for maths. I care more about how much I enjoy my job but obviously I don't want to be dirt poor. Always been interested in robotics as well but don't know if thats a possibility with a physics degree

If u r obsessed with physics and pure math like me and concerned bout job like me lol then I was planning I'm gonna do pure math and computer science at uni and then once I'm done I use the computer science to get a job and again start doing physics and continue with pure math......the reason u can do physics later after maths I because advance physics is just applied math so when u start doing the physics course it will be a cup of cake for u........what do u think bout it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41693230
Maths has 3rd highest salaries behind Econ (only because almost everyone studying econ is career oriented while many people study maths for the love of it) and Medicine (obviously)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
If u r obsessed with physics and pure math like me and concerned bout job like me lol then I was planning I'm gonna do pure math and computer science at uni and then once I'm done I use the computer science to get a job and again start doing physics and continue with pure math......the reason u can do physics later after maths I because advance physics is just applied math so when u start doing the physics course it will be a cup of cake for u........what do u think bout it?

At the start of the year I wanted to do computer science too but that changed. I feel like I enjoy maths because of the satisfaction of getting a correct answer, whereas physics o have a genuine interest in so I'm just gonna go straight physics
Reply 10
but my fear is again job because pure math can't get you a job unless you are at master's or doctorate level...

Wut?! Of course a maths degree is highly acceptable for many jobs. You only need a MSc+ if you want to go into academia.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/mathematics

Also most Maths courses aren't just "pure", you will be able to study a wide range of applied areas too.
At the start of the year I wanted to do computer science too but that changed. I feel like I enjoy maths because of the satisfaction of getting a correct answer, whereas physics o have a genuine interest in so I'm just gonna go straight physics

makes sense do what u like at the end knowledge is all that matter :smile:

Do you like taking apart and building things, discovering why they work and how to fix them? Do you like turning theory and ideas into real-world, practical, devices and 'things'? Do you like being hands-on? Engineering is obviously not just fixing engines and machines but it is a lot more practical than physics. Other than your perception about job prospects (which is not quite correct) there's nothing in your post to say you'd enjoy engineering, in fact your real passion comes across as being physics.
Original post by Doonesbury
Wut?! Of course a maths degree is highly acceptable for many jobs. You only need a MSc+ if you want to go into academia.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/mathematics

Also most Maths courses aren't just "pure", you will be able to study a wide range of applied areas too.

yeah I heard this but I was told that if u take pure math as a career and not applied then your job opportunities reduces and mostly go towards research or academia

Depends on what you define as "real life maths" - if you mean maths as a mathematician does (or degree level maths) then yes, it's very different but possibly for the opposite reasons you think. As far as general day to day life, it's overkill but the same skills in theory being used, just with less explicit reference to paricular numerical values and applications. In terms of engineering and the physical sciences, it's probably closer than either of the others - finding general analytical solutions to problems.

As far as robotics goes, it's perhaps less directly related to physics although you could well end up in that area. Mathematics is much more closely related, as the central aspect of the area is control/systems theory, which is very mathematical.

Regarding remuneration, most "physicists" (i.e. those whose primary activity is researching, experimentally or otherwise, the physical sciences especially physics) are by definition more or less academics in universities etc. While pay levels vary, most lecturers are able to live comfortably - this doesn't mean living in a palatial mansion however. But they are able to, in a two-income home, support a family, or support themselves if living alone without great concern for finances. Those working in industry e.g. in governmental research sections (the NPL or the Met Office) or maybe in high level R&D in corporate (tech, usually) environments will probably make on average more, but those at the top universities will probably have competitive salaries when you account for various fringe benefits of the role.

Equally as above, people can go into engineering/computing/tech sectors from a physics or mathematics background. I know someone who did her MPhys then went on to a software development training scheme (and later permanent position) at the Met Office (purely doing software development - she doesn't do any of the physical modelling, she just builds/maintains the softwares the modelling teams use), and I've heard of several (whom I didn't know personally) that went into grad schemes offered by engineering/tech companies. Such grad schemes (also in CS, i.e. software development/engineering) often just require a "numerate" degree (which would include physics).

I would note probably a majority of the people I knew who did physics did not go on to a PhD in the subject (and thus academia) - many went into similar areas to above, more general business/media roles, or teaching or something sometimes. One did a PhD, and then ended up leaving academia to work as a tutor for maths and physics (which he started doing during his PhD to earn a bit of extra money, and ended up with experience and building up a core "client" base and recommendations from them, making about £50 an hour with near full time hours if he chose to accept them) as he actually earned more doing that than the postdoc positions (which weren't badly paid) offered! Another who did a PhD remained in academia nominally, but not as an academic - he now runs his former supervisors lab for him, essentially continuing his experimental work that he enjoyed without the pressure to publish (or teach, which he was ambivalent about). Another I know who did his PhD in (astro)physics decided he'd learned enough physics and went to become a data scientist at an insurance firm.

Additionally I think a solid half of our lecturers in electronic and materials engineering were originally from a physics or maths background in their undergraduate (and sometimes PhD). So you can certainly "hop" fields, even in the academic side.

As you can see, there are plenty of options either from undergraduate or PhD level in Physics, both within and outside of the subject area.
Reply 15
Original post by Duncan2012
Do you like taking apart and building things, discovering why they work and how to fix them? Do you like turning theory and ideas into real-world, practical, devices and 'things'? Do you like being hands-on? Engineering is obviously not just fixing engines and machines but it is a lot more practical than physics. Other than your perception about job prospects (which is not quite correct) there's nothing in your post to say you'd enjoy engineering, in fact your real passion comes across as being physics.

Very good point, i do not want to do engineering
Reply 16
yeah I heard this but I was told that if u take pure math as a career and not applied then your job opportunities reduces and mostly go towards research or academia

As I said, most courses include a huge range of modules and few people will just be studying pure. Note that "pure" maths at A-level is nothing like pure maths at university level. A-level "pure" maths is actually mostly applied.

Statistics and mechanics are applied. But so is calculus...

Pure is all about proofs, number theory, topologies, etc.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by artful_lounger
Depends on what you define as "real life maths" - if you mean maths as a mathematician does (or degree level maths) then yes, it's very different but possibly for the opposite reasons you think. As far as general day to day life, it's overkill but the same skills in theory being used, just with less explicit reference to paricular numerical values and applications. In terms of engineering and the physical sciences, it's probably closer than either of the others - finding general analytical solutions to problems.

As far as robotics goes, it's perhaps less directly related to physics although you could well end up in that area. Mathematics is much more closely related, as the central aspect of the area is control/systems theory, which is very mathematical.

Regarding remuneration, most "physicists" (i.e. those whose primary activity is researching, experimentally or otherwise, the physical sciences especially physics) are by definition more or less academics in universities etc. While pay levels vary, most lecturers are able to live comfortably - this doesn't mean living in a palatial mansion however. But they are able to, in a two-income home, support a family, or support themselves if living alone without great concern for finances. Those working in industry e.g. in governmental research sections (the NPL or the Met Office) or maybe in high level R&D in corporate (tech, usually) environments will probably make on average more, but those at the top universities will probably have competitive salaries when you account for various fringe benefits of the role.

Equally as above, people can go into engineering/computing/tech sectors from a physics or mathematics background. I know someone who did her MPhys then went on to a software development training scheme (and later permanent position) at the Met Office (purely doing software development - she doesn't do any of the physical modelling, she just builds/maintains the softwares the modelling teams use), and I've heard of several (whom I didn't know personally) that went into grad schemes offered by engineering/tech companies. Such grad schemes (also in CS, i.e. software development/engineering) often just require a "numerate" degree (which would include physics).

I would note probably a majority of the people I knew who did physics did not go on to a PhD in the subject (and thus academia) - many went into similar areas to above, more general business/media roles, or teaching or something sometimes. One did a PhD, and then ended up leaving academia to work as a tutor for maths and physics (which he started doing during his PhD to earn a bit of extra money, and ended up with experience and building up a core "client" base and recommendations from them, making about £50 an hour with near full time hours if he chose to accept them) as he actually earned more doing that than the postdoc positions (which weren't badly paid) offered! Another who did a PhD remained in academia nominally, but not as an academic - he now runs his former supervisors lab for him, essentially continuing his experimental work that he enjoyed without the pressure to publish (or teach, which he was ambivalent about). Another I know who did his PhD in (astro)physics decided he'd learned enough physics and went to become a data scientist at an insurance firm.

Additionally I think a solid half of our lecturers in electronic and materials engineering were originally from a physics or maths background in their undergraduate (and sometimes PhD). So you can certainly "hop" fields, even in the academic side.

As you can see, there are plenty of options either from undergraduate or PhD level in Physics, both within and outside of the subject area.

Thank you so much for putting the effort into this. I just want a degree that mi interested in, but also one that has many possible career opportunities. I think thats the idea that you put across here
As I said, most courses include a huge range of modules and few people will just be studying pure. Note that "pure" maths at A-level is nothing like pure maths at university level. A-level "pure" maths is actually mostly applied.

yeah I'm well aware of this but thanks for telling me something I dint know :smile:
Reply 19

Yeah thats what i meant earlier when i said real life maths, i actually meant degree level pure maths.

Quick Reply