No Higher Qualifications!

Watch this thread
whatreally
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My school didn't let me sit any highers because I failed most of the prelims. Even though I know people who did the same and still got to sit their highers. I even know a person who failed a resit and still got to sit the higher human biology exam. I was sitting 4 highers and a nat 5 in maths. Now im 17 years old and have no highers to my name. Should I resit them in 6th year or go to college?. What are the implications of having to resit them in 6th year. Is it frowned upon by unis?
one_purple_boi
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Did you fail the UASPs? Because (apart from maths) I did really bad in my prelims and I still got to sit the exams
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by whatreally)
My school didn't let me sit any highers because I failed most of the prelims. Even though I know people who did the same and still got to sit their highers. I even know a person who failed a resit and still got to sit the higher human biology exam. I was sitting 4 highers and a nat 5 in maths. Now im 17 years old and have no highers to my name. Should I resit them in 6th year or go to college?. What are the implications of having to resit them in 6th year. Is it frowned upon by unis?
That doesn't seem like your school looked at the overall picture when each subject teacher made that decision, but I guess that can't be fixed now...Whether you do them in S6 or in college is a personal choice for you really, as some colleges offer courses where you can do 4-5 highers in the year. Or you could look at other SCQF level 6 courses, or apprenticeships. For this decision, it comes down to what environment and teaching/learning style you want really. How it will be viewed by universities really depends on what you want to study and where. For competitive courses at top universities in Scotland, they will often have higher requirements for people who don't meet the entry requirements in S5 (e.g. AAAABB), which wouldn't really be attainable in S6 with no highers in S5. However, this is not the case at all universities or for all courses (most won't be this high), so if university is the path you want to take, then you need to make sure you work really hard this year to get what you need in your highers.
Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (121)
41.58%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
18.56%
No (116)
39.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed