The Student Room Group

I really want Adderall

I really want Adderall because it helps with confidence/social anxiety, but I feel like I might feel kinda guilty using it for this because it's kinda like, I need a drug to make me better socially (more flowy/confident/casual/talkative) and so it's not truly me? What do you think? Is it a legitimate tool to use or no?

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I really want Adderall because it helps with confidence/social anxiety, but I feel like I might feel kinda guilty using it for this because it's kinda like, I need a drug to make me better socially (more flowy/confident/casual/talkative) and so it's not truly me? What do you think? Is it a legitimate tool to use or no?

It depends on if you have a genuine need for it or not. If you don't then there's no point in even taking it, if you do though then it's kinda fixing something that wasn't right to start.
I take vitamins to stay functional cos my body doesn't absorb enough to do it itself. No need for me to feel guilty or anything about that cos it's not my fault and I'm just doing something to improve an issue that exists.
I took antidepressant at one point too cos my body and mind weren't freaking with things properly. At that time I had a problem that the medication could help with. The problem wasn't my fault and I couldn't just will it away, but I could use a thing to improve it. No need for me to feel guilty or weak for using something that could help me.

It's kinda like using a screwdriver to help you build a shelf. You can't do up the screws by hand, but using the screwdriver is still you doing it cos you're the one using it. Makes more sense to use the screwdriver to help you than to suffer with having nowhere to put your books.

Have a talk with your doctor about what your options are and if you would like to try it. If it doesn't feel right to you you can always decide to stop.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Kindred
It depends on if you have a genuine need for it or not. If you don't then there's no point in even taking it, if you do though then it's kinda fixing something that wasn't right to start.
I take vitamins to stay functional cos my body doesn't absorb enough to do it itself. No need for me to feel guilty or anything about that cos it's not my fault and I'm just doing something to improve an issue that exists.
I took antidepressant at one point too cos my body and mind weren't freaking with things properly. At that time I had a problem that the medication could help with. The problem wasn't my fault and I couldn't just will it away, but I could use a thing to improve it. No need for me to feel guilty or weak for using something that could help me.

It's kinda like using a screwdriver to help you build a shelf. You can't do up the screws by hand, but using the screwdriver is still you doing it cos you're the one using it. Makes more sense to use the screwdriver to help you than to suffer with having nowhere to put your books.

Have a talk with your doctor about what your options are and if you would like to try it. If it doesn't feel right to you you can always decide to stop.

Thank you and I really appreciate your analogy. The thing is, I haven't been diagnosed with social anxiety or anything and I don't know if I even have it, it's just that this drug will really help me with, for example, making friends. I currently don't have any friends and haven't for a while. I'm hoping this drug will help me to kinda open up more so that I can more easily connect with people and truly live life, as well as be how I was before my bout of depression 2 years ago, before which I wasn't as inhibited as I am now and showed my true personality to people more.

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Kindred

Also, about talking to my doctor about trying it, is it likely for my doctor to give it to me if I just say that I want Adderall and say I want it for reasons other than what it's usually prescribed for - ADD/ADHD?

A lot of people abuse Adderall without needing it so i'm not sure if it's likely that my doctor will give it to me.
Reply 4
Thank you and I really appreciate your analogy. The thing is, I haven't been diagnosed with social anxiety or anything and I don't know if I even have it, it's just that this drug will really help me with, for example, making friends. I currently don't have any friends and haven't for a while. I'm hoping this drug will help me to kinda open up more so that I can more easily connect with people and truly live life, as well as be how I was before my bout of depression 2 years ago, before which I wasn't as inhibited as I am now and showed my true personality to people more.

Thanks

Also, about talking to my doctor about trying it, is it likely for my doctor to give it to me if I just say that I want Adderall and say I want it for reasons other than what it's usually prescribed for - ADD/ADHD?

A lot of people abuse Adderall without needing it so i'm not sure if it's likely that my doctor will give it to me.

Well that's where the if you need it comes in. It does seem like you've got some sort of genuine issue you want it for (rather than just wanting to abuse it). You/ your doctor will have to work out if it's the right thing to help with that though.
Drugs like that are designed to help in a specific way so won't help unless that's the way you need to be helped. So like social anxiety, ADHD etc all affect your body in a slightly different way and the drugs for them are based on that.
Another thing that can often help and is more of a one size fits all is therapy. It helps look at your feeling and behaviours and how that affects everything and since it's done with a person they can adapt things to match what's going on with you.

Considering you don't have any sort of diagnosis or anything at the moment what would probably work best is getting an appointment with your GP, telling them what you are having issues with and asking what can be done about that. That way they can suggest what's likely to be the best fit for you rather than just saying yes or no to one specific thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending