?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not a Jew.
nanananabatman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know the camp you're talking about, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
layla_1234
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Do you nanananabatman know which camp it is? PM if you do!

What do I mean "a bit jewish".... well, the camp is funded by a jewish council, but some stff are not Jewish and they dont ask for Jewish staff. They do not make the kids practice Jewdaism, in the sense that they dont have classes on religion, but other things like not eating dairy and meat has to be respected. In the video I have seen then there ar enot boys with that "small hat" on but there is a Israil flag in the bedroom (the blue and white flag wth the star)... I am sooooo ignorant!

I just wanted a Jewish persons views and opinions on how life is different for a Jew and for them to show of a bit, because after all they support the religion and could give me a good explanation. Dairy and meat, why cant you eat both in say a burger?
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm a bit Jewish.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How odd is this thread?

"a bit jewish" :rofl:
ashy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
She's going to Jewbilee! :rofl:

Remember, while you're there, don't be jewvenile, unless the food is jewbious - in which case no jewry will convict you.
Tomber
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is the OP going to Jewbilee??

Tomber
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ashy)
He's going to Jewbilee :rofl:
Damn You!!!
ashy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tomber)
Damn You!!!
Ha.
Thud
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by layla_1234)
Do you nanananabatman know which camp it is? PM if you do!

What do I mean "a bit jewish".... well, the camp is funded by a jewish council, but some stff are not Jewish and they dont ask for Jewish staff. They do not make the kids practice Jewdaism, in the sense that they dont have classes on religion, but other things like not eating dairy and meat has to be respected. In the video I have seen then there ar enot boys with that "small hat" on but there is a Israil flag in the bedroom (the blue and white flag wth the star)... I am sooooo ignorant!
Israil? talk about poor spelling.

And "small hat" Loads of Jews wear them, what's the problem? I'm fairly sure the camp isn't forcing them to wear them it's just that some boys want to wear them everyday.

I just wanted a Jewish persons views and opinions on how life is different for a Jew and for them to show of a bit, because after all they support the religion and could give me a good explanation. Dairy and meat, why cant you eat both in say a burger?
Because Jews aren't allowed to. Isn't that fairly obvious as a reason to why they don't do it?
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tomber)
Is the OP going to Jewbilee??

Here's another Jubilee!

Titch89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In the video I have seen then there ar enot boys with that "small hat" on
The hat you're on about is called a yamulke.
Ink
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nanananabatman)
I know the camp you're talking about, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
How could you know what camp the OP was talking about from what he posted?

You are aware, aren't you, that the US is a huge place and there are tons of Jewish summer camps here, with varying levels of observancy?

OP - this entire thread would be more helpful, I imagine, if you did some google research and then asked questions to fill in the gaps. The Jewish religion with all it's sects and histories and people around the world cannot be summed up in a simple post. However, if it makes you feel any better, I am "sort of Jewish" (I technically am, but I am not observant) and went to Jewish summer camp in America. Most people were Jewish, but some weren't. The food was Kosher and we sang abbreviated prayers before and after every meal. We had services on Friday nighs, Saturday afternoon, special holidays, and special Shabbat meals, but again, it wasn't serious (we sang a lot of songs and made it very light-hearted) and we could choose not to partake.

As for this:
For all but the most observant (hassidic/orthodox Jews), life is probably not very different between them and the average British/American citizen of any other religion. Orthodox Jews lead relatively normal lives as well, but their dress does make them stand out and they cannot write, draw pictures, use electronics, take elevators, cars, or a variety of other things from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday. They also observe a lot more holidays than the average Jew.

As for "showing off" a bit, Judaism is passed down through the bloodline, primarily, so although lots of people are Jewish, to just assume they support it and want to show off isn't quite right. Anyway, Judaism isn't really a religion that panders about the whole "we're better than all of you, look how great we are, you should all convert" thing. We're more of a "if you're Jewish, great! If not, whatever" people, at least where I'm from.

You're not supposed to eat meat and dairy at once because the Torah says you should not eat a baby in it's mother's milk. Jews that keep kosher refrain from eating dairy products for hours after eating meat. There are several other dietary restrictions as well - we cannot eat certain parts of certain animals (hoofs, certain cuts of beef, shellfish...) and those that we do must be killed a certain way, among other things. Many foods are Kosher to begin with, such as fruit, but the second it is cut with a non-kosher knife, it can no longer be eaten by the observant Jew. Pretty much any question you have about Jewish practices/habits leads back to a few lines in the Torah. Google is your friend, really, but if you have any other questions, I will try to answer them.
nanananabatman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ink)
How could you know what camp the OP was talking about from what he posted?

You are aware, aren't you, that the US is a huge place and there are tons of Jewish summer camps here, with varying levels of observancy?.
....I'm gonna go back to bed.
Poops
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What do you call a Jewish woman's boobs?
Ellsbells3032
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm jewish:-Dand proud of it:-D
Dirac Delta Function
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Poops)
What do you call a Jewish woman's boobs?
boobs?
ashy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
boobs?
Is that a Dirac Delta Function in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?

[/worst joke ever]
Poops
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
boobs?
Joobs
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (232)
27.46%
No (613)
72.54%

Watched Threads