Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunspoon)
    Just got my 4th 'unsuccessful'. Not feeling good about it, but chances are I'm gonna take my Manchester Chem Eng offer and run.
    I'm very sorry to hear that!

ReputationRep:
    Lol, i might be joining you J4l. I've only got Edinburgh who havn't rejected me.
    Dez

ReputationRep:
    Just got my 4th 'unsuccessful'. Not feeling good about it, but chances are I'm gonna take my Manchester Chem Eng offer and run.
    Ahh brother I'm *nearly* in the same boat as you. Give it another week or so. At this rate I'm gonna be doing Biology at Imperial next year...*goes off somewhere and cries*

ReputationRep:
    dun wry dez...i m sure and i hope edinburgh begs you to accept there offer.

ReputationRep:
    I'm already thinking of starting my own suicide cult before I've even applied for the first time.

WHY OH WHY CAN'T UNIVERSITIES BE KIND. ?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I do have until May to decide. At the moment I'm starting to think maybe I should have applied to medical schools other than Cambridge Imperial Bristol. Both my GCSEs and BMAT probably let me down but thats life I suppose.

Unfortunately if I accept the Chem Eng offer I'm legally bound to actually go if I get the grades so technically what Wangers has just suggested for me to do is illegal (sorry!).

At the beginning of the year I would have sworn to take a year out and reapply but now I'm forced to make a choice I don't think I could stay motivated in my gap year. Especialy when I see everyone else going to uni etc ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    I'm already thinking of starting my own suicide cult before I've even applied for the first time.

WHY OH WHY CAN'T UNIVERSITIES BE KIND. ?
    may be because you are too good for them?..or maybe because you are just too beautiful..i m sure you are....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDD99)
    may be because you are too good for them?..or maybe because you are just too beautiful..i m sure you are....
    You get in there

ReputationRep:
    im off 2 australia 4 6 months with a mate to get boozed

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I do have until May to decide. At the moment I'm starting to think maybe I should have applied to medical schools other than Cambridge Imperial Bristol. Both my GCSEs and BMAT probably let me down but thats life I suppose....
    In some respects, I can understand you - when I was rejected I did wish I had applied to Cambridge rather then Oxford; but we all make choices, and we have to live with them.

Unfortunately if I accept the Chem Eng offer I'm legally bound to actually go if I get the grades so technically what Wangers has just suggested for me to do is illegal (sorry!).
    etc ...
    No it isn't - how do I know? Because I did it. I was holding a firm - SGUL biomedical sciences (BCC) that I knew I could make - come results day I just sent them a polite email thanking them and explaining I was taking a gap year to broaden my horizons. Then I simply pulled out of the UCAS cycle for that year completly. Its completly legal and my tutor specificlly told me that was a definate option if the results swung the right way. You can still do it if you diddn't get AAB+ - but it then becomes more of an academic point.

Just get AAB and learn from this year - you're in a far stronger position then you think you are.

* - You do need to check if the policy has changed though, I am not responsible for your education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDD99)
    My conversation about suicide cults obviously said more about me than I knew of.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I do have until May to decide. At the moment I'm starting to think maybe I should have applied to medical schools other than Cambridge Imperial Bristol. Both my GCSEs and BMAT probably let me down but thats life I suppose.

At the beginning of the year I would have sworn to take a year out and reapply but now I'm forced to make a choice I don't think I could stay motivated in my gap year. Especialy when I see everyone else going to uni etc ...
    Although it may technically be illegal (?), loads of people do it and I am sure universities expect it. You cannot be forced to go there, and if you want to reapply they will let you.

They don't want someone who doesn't want to be there.

ReputationRep:

yup same here for bristol and southampton! i wish i put a lil bit more thought into those two...

i can see what you mean about everyone going to uni, but to be honest i cant see myself being motivated enough to do a different course?

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for all the support everyone - I'll probably think about it over the next month and a half, but either way gap year or not I'm still aiming to get 4A grades this year - need to get B's in my remaining A2 modules to hit the 4A mark. Which is a slight consolation I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomoli)
    Although it may technically be illegal (?), loads of people do it and I am sure universities expect it. You cannot be forced to go there, and if you want to reapply they will let you.

They don't want someone who doesn't want to be there.
    Out of interest why have you declined your offers ? Sorry to be OT.

Also I've been hearing a lot about rejections for medicine this year OP so your not on your own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    My conversation about suicide cults obviously said more about me than I knew of.
    ohh ok sorry then. i was just being nice and tried impressing you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDD99)
    ohh ok sorry then. i was just being nice and tried impressing you.

Ooooh oooh no it's fine, I was joking :p:

Awww, I feel bad now .

I'm far too sensitive a person to be mean for that comment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zanejamal)
    Out of interest why have you declined your offers ? Sorry to be OT.

Also I've been hearing a lot about rejections for medicine this year OP so your not on your own.
    What does OT mean?

No worries whatever it means, but the reason I declined all my offers was because I didn't like any of the unis that much so am going to reapply next year to LSE which has always been 'my dream' to put it cheasily. I didn't apply this year because you needed Maths A Level which I am taking in my gap year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomoli)
    What does OT mean?

No worries whatever it means, but the reason I declined all my offers was because I didn't like any of the unis that much so am going to reapply next year to LSE which has always been 'my dream' to put it cheasily. I didn't apply this year because you needed Maths A Level which I am taking in my gap year.
    I think it means off topic

Why not take a biomedical science/biology degree for a year or two and then see if you can't re-apply to the universities directly/through UCAS for Medicine courses in a couple of years? :confused:

Work your ass off to get to the top of your class and I'm sure some good universities will want you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 6, 2008

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.