Turn on thread page Beta

Rejected - Forced gap year anyone! :-( watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    I wouldn't mind having degrees coming out of my ears - if I could have afforded it!:p:
    Haha, I could make up some story about student loans and working nightshifts to cover it whilst studying every day in the mornings, but...to be honest, I'm just fortunate enough to be financially stable with pursuing medicine. My dad's parents worked overtime to support his medical studies (grandad was a plumber so needed to work loads!) so my dad's got a similar philosophy, and I intend on sacrificing personal luxuries for my children's benefit too when I'm a father (within reason, no spoiling!! I don't drive around in an Audi TT and sport Ralph Lauren glasses...). So yeah...I'm just lucky, but I guess realising how lucky I am is better than these millionaire's kids who blow all their money on drugs and expensive things and waste their lives...

Sorry, thread hijack over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jawads)
    I got 4 rejections and i withdrew my fifth choice, but i changed my my about doing med after i applied as i got some work experience opportunity at the hospital and i didnt like the work. I want to do economics at uni so am reapplyin, i need sum rep LOL, i reckon i lost it cos i tell people the truth even if they dont like it, life aint all bliss so theres no place 4 false hope.
    Hmm...

That is rep whoring - i.e. it isn't allowed. :p:

And, well done for doing work experience and deciding against it. It is such a long degree, career path, and so on - you really wouldn't want to waste such a lot of time doing something you don't want to do. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speedbird2008)
    Hmm...

That is rep whoring - i.e. it isn't allowed. :p:

And, well done for doing work experience and deciding against it. It is such a long degree, career path, and so on - you really wouldn't want to waste such a lot of time doing something you don't want to do. :yy:
    True, i dont want to do a degree that i aint interested in i tried to get work experience before but its too competitive at the hospital i got it after i applied a little too late, but i dont really know what your motives are, from your post it seems like you aint too bothered about my situation more than wanting less competition LOL, anyways i dont want rep by askin 4 it, ill get it if i deserve it, rep doesn't stop me from posting or i dont think it does LOL, see ya mate.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like i've gotta start making plans for gap year
    Just got my fourth rejection too. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jawads)
    True, i dont want to do a degree that i aint interested in i tried to get work experience before but its too competitive at the hospital i got it after i applied a little too late, but i dont really know what your motives are, from your post it seems like you aint too bothered about my situation more than wanting less competition LOL, anyways i dont want rep by askin 4 it, ill get it if i deserve it, rep doesn't stop me from posting or i dont think it does LOL, see ya mate.
    Hehe, I'll be applying next year, so no worry of that (yet )...

And, Economics is a very good choice. My favourite AS Level ATM (got 88% in Module One woop). And let's be honest:

Economics Degree ---> Job in the City ---> Lots of ££££....

ReputationRep:

And, Economics is a very good choice. My favourite AS Level ATM (got 88% in Module One woop). And let's be honest:

True, but it all about the money as it is about doing something you enjoy but luckily if i enjoy it and get paid loads i wont complain.

ReputationRep:

You really don't need economics, if you go into the City, you'll learn what you need 'on the job' - just get yourself any degree. You essentially need to prove you can deal with volumes of technical information - and write reports about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arpeggio)
    you might always have that "what if" feeling. I met so many people at interviews who were reapplicants on a gap year and they all said it was the best thing they'd ever done
    and on the flip side, 10 years down the line you may be thinking "what if" i didn't do medicine. 99.9% of F1/2 doctors I've met have told me not to do medicine. I have a friend at peninsula telling me to stay the **** away from pbl, and looky here i have an offer from a pbl med school. so looong spoon feeding, helooo hard labour.

hmm...would you look at that...the grass really isnt greener on the other side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    You really don't need economics, if you go into the City, you'll learn what you need 'on the job' - just get yourself any degree. You essentially need to prove you can deal with volumes of technical information - and write reports about it.
    Hmm, though for Goldman Sahcs et al you'll need at least a 2.i from Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick or other top notch Russell Group's...

Any Economics or Science degree will give you a good chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mouse_mat)
    and on the flip side, 10 years down the line you may be thinking "what if" i didn't do medicine. 99.9% of F1/2 doctors I've met have told me not to do medicine. I have a friend at peninsula telling me to stay the **** away from pbl, and looky here i have an offer from a pbl med school. so looong spoon feeding, helooo hard labour.

hmm...would you look at that...the grass really isnt greener on the other side.
    I see what you mean..exactly what I got told i.e. to not be a doctor, plus my family is slightly con-doctors.

But, then again, the grass is never greener on the other side anyway...

ReputationRep:
    A medical degree doesnt mean you have to become a Doctor, I know a waste of money- but some go into finance and other fields.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunspoon)
    At the moment I'm starting to think maybe I should have applied to medical schools other than Cambridge Imperial Bristol...I'm forced to make a choice I don't think I could stay motivated in my gap year.
    we have a winrar! well sort of...think of it this way would you rather study medicine at a crap (pbl) med school, or not have an offer at a good (spoon feeding) medical school, because that's my situation.

think long and hard, and look at the pros and cons, what would you see yourself happier as, a chemical engineer or a doctor. ones underpaid, overworked and faces stiff competition, guess which is which.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cynicism 101)
    I see what you mean..exactly what I got told i.e. to not be a doctor, plus my family is slightly con-doctors.

But, then again, the grass is never greener on the other side anyway...
    yet you still applied for medicine...huh...

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=mouse_mat]at a crap (pbl) med school, or not have an offer at a good (spoon feeding) medical school, because that's my situation.QUOTE]

Excuse me! PBL is the future- tommorrows Doctors- whats unis have you applied to ??

ReputationRep:
    yet you still applied for medicine...huh...
    Should show my motivation, eh? I do really want to go study medicine.
    I'm just very cynical about my outlook in life :P:p:

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Nasher and Basher]
    at a crap (pbl) med school, or not have an offer at a good (spoon feeding) medical school, because that's my situation.QUOTE]

Excuse me! PBL is the future- tommorrows Doctors- whats unis have you applied to ??
    K, go tell that to icemanjohndoe, preferably in the flesh so he can punch you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cynicism 101)
    Should show my motivation, eh? I do really want to go study medicine.
    I'm just very cynical about my outlook in life :P:p:
    even though you dont know what your in for, and the fact that other people said no...that's like someone telling you "don't launch that thermonuclear device!", but you're like "but ive always reallllly wanted toooo...........yaaay fallout!"

ReputationRep:
    even though you dont know what your in for, and the fact that other people said no...that's like someone telling you "don't launch that thermonuclear device!", but you're like "but ive always reallllly wanted toooo...........yaaay fallout!"
    No, well more like " "**** off, If I want to do it I'll do my best to try"...that and I've gathered as much information as possible about medicine, and I really enjoyed my work experience.

So, really more like,
    "Don't launch that theromonuclear device!"
    "Well, if I do, I'll make sure it doesn't hurt me"

Do I come across as violent? I swear I'm not....

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=mouse_mat]
    (Original post by Nasher and Basher)

K, go tell that to icemanjohndoe, preferably in the flesh so he can punch you.
    Actually its icemanjondoe, I have asked his opnion on PMS and he does hate it,but everyone is different, just becasue he dislike its- doesnt mean its a crappy course.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    to be fair, pbl is a bit gay!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 6, 2008

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.