The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Plymouth racism?

I have been accepted onto a postgraduate degree at Plymouth University. I'm British Pakistani and so far never travelled to the South West/South East part of the country. I'd like to know from anyone from there/currently living there/at uni there if they've experienced any racism?
I'm aware Plymouth has a much lower multicultural population than other areas on the UK. I'm living in Manchester right now so of course there will be an expected change.
Also if there much of an Asian community there?
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Reply 2
Only person I know who goes to Plymouth is black, he has a great time, this isn't the 1970s.
Original post by Studentlaura
I have been accepted onto a postgraduate degree at Plymouth University. I'm British Pakistani and so far never travelled to the South West/South East part of the country. I'd like to know from anyone from there/currently living there/at uni there if they've experienced any racism?
I'm aware Plymouth has a much lower multicultural population than other areas on the UK. I'm living in Manchester right now so of course there will be an expected change.
Also if there much of an Asian community there?

Hi, this is a pretty late reply to your post, but if you see it, then I hope it will reassure you. I studied in Plymouth and still live there- I am white but one of my uni friends was from a British-Asian background, so hopefully my experiences are helpful.

Plymouth and and other areas of the south west are definitely less multicultural than Manchester, but Plymouth uni itself is large and diverse with students from all ethnicities and indeed from all over the world. The uni has a Pakistani society and an Islamic society (among others), so you should be able to find a community, if that is what you want.

People obviously do experience racism in Plymouth, but the uni doesn't have a history/culture of racism like some others in the south-west. Students are a big part of Plymouth's economy, so in general people are welcoming.

In general, Plymouth feels like a relatively safe city and in the central areas, violent crime is quite rare.
This is probably also very late but I just wanted to let you know that I am also a British Pakistani, living in Plymouth for the past 7 years. There is only a small minority of Pakistanis here but it’s
Original post by theuglymeme
This is probably also very late but I just wanted to let you know that I am also a British Pakistani, living in Plymouth for the past 7 years. There is only a small minority of Pakistanis here but it’s

I think the end of your post got cut off! It would be great to hear what your experience of living in Plymouth has been like- even if the OP doesn't come back, it could be useful for others.
Original post by theuglymeme

Yeah I think you got cut off there ?
Ab sorry, I know what happened there but anyways, I was saying that ifs very accepting of cultural differences, I have never experienced any racism. Yes there are a one or two racist people but they are dealt with very well. The little Pakistani community is very close to each other so you should also be fine

Quick Reply

Latest