The Student Room Group

AS Government and Politics Unit 1 retake paper

OK, so the Unit 1 paper in on 24/05/18, so I ahe 2 days to revise 2 topics (elections and pressure groups) and I know absolutely nothing. I literally would not be able to answer a single question, even if it is a 5 marker.

What would be the wisest way to go about and study this in 2 days. Last year I achieved a C in that paper, but retaking for a better grade. Last year I was in the same situation.

Should I just look at some 25 markers and learn those 25 mark questions that I predict may come up since I don't have enough time to do every 25 markers.

And should I focus on 10 markers or whatever I learn from the 25 markers I can use in the 10 markers? Can this work and do the papers work like this. HELP.

Is this the best solution. Please help I have only 2 days to cover 2 chapters.

Scroll to see replies

Heya! Doing this for the first time so glad someone made a forum like this, welp since you know the two main ones you want to do (albeit it's risky but too late now.) I suggest spending today on electoral systems if you have any textbooks and notebooks it can help also make sure you know either quotes or statistics on them aswell and yeah for 25 markers follow this structure:
Define
(Side you're arguing)
3 P.E.EL
Side not arguing
2 P.E.E.L
Then a conclusion
Do the same for ten marker but just define and then two P.E.E.L paragraphs
*By P.E.E.L i mean point,evidence,explain,link
Then spend tomorrow on pressure groups and make your you ans questions on the way
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply.

Should I just learn all the 25 mark questions. Would that contribute to doing 10 mark questions. I think I did this last year. It's pretty miraculous how I achieved a C last year being in this same situation. Absolutely impossible was made possible by me haha.

Because there's not enough time to look at 10 markers, so if i learn the 25 markers would that already cover any possible 10 markers?

Original post by ioWolfdinii
Heya! Doing this for the first time so glad someone made a forum like this, welp since you know the two main ones you want to do (albeit it's risky but too late now.) I suggest spending today on electoral systems if you have any textbooks and notebooks it can help also make sure you know either quotes or statistics on them aswell and yeah for 25 markers follow this structure:
Define
(Side you're arguing)
3 P.E.EL
Side not arguing
2 P.E.E.L
Then a conclusion
Do the same for ten marker but just define and then two P.E.E.L paragraphs
*By P.E.E.L i mean point,evidence,explain,link
Then spend tomorrow on pressure groups and make your you ans questions on the way
Yeah, but since its government, questions are highly unlikely to be repeated again so building your knowledge would probs be better
Reply 4
Original post by ioWolfdinii
Yeah, but since its government, questions are highly unlikely to be repeated again so building your knowledge would probs be better

Oh, they wouldn't? I've just created this myself, and I cant figure what 2011 and 2012 correlates to. They pretty much ask the same thing and I have a feeling the strong and stable one might come up since Theresa May just recently formed a minority government...
Nah they wouldn't usually
Reply 6
Any predictions for this paper?
Reply 7
Original post by op9
Any predictions for this paper?

I'm predicting this:

How far does the Westminster electoral system ensure strong and stable government? (25 marks)

This one hasn't come up since 2013 - Assess the advantages of using proportional representation electoral systems (25 marks)

Make out a case In favour of electoral reform for Westminster elections (25 marks)

One of these will come up. I can't strongly predict the first one because that threw a lot of people over, but then again it may come up since May's formation of a minority government and they should expect people to prepare for it since it had already came up as it people won't be able to complain about it, if that makes sense.
Reply 8
Does anyone have any predictions/essays to send for pressure groups, democracy and political parties?
Reply 9
pre are some
Original post by nabid61
I'm predicting this:

How far does the Westminster electoral system ensure strong and stable government? (25 marks)

This one hasn't come up since 2013 - Assess the advantages of using proportional representation electoral systems (25 marks)

Make out a case In favour of electoral reform for Westminster elections (25 marks)

One of these will come up. I can't strongly predict the first one because that threw a lot of people over, but then again it may come up since May's formation of a minority government and they should expect people to prepare for it since it had already came up as it people won't be able to complain about it, if that makes sense.

Thanks those good predictions i can see them coming up aswell
Original post by nabid61
OK, so the Unit 1 paper in on 24/05/18, so I ahe 2 days to revise 2 topics (elections and pressure groups) and I know absolutely nothing. I literally would not be able to answer a single question, even if it is a 5 marker.

What would be the wisest way to go about and study this in 2 days. Last year I achieved a C in that paper, but retaking for a better grade. Last year I was in the same situation.

Should I just look at some 25 markers and learn those 25 mark questions that I predict may come up since I don't have enough time to do every 25 markers.

And should I focus on 10 markers or whatever I learn from the 25 markers I can use in the 10 markers? Can this work and do the papers work like this. HELP.

Is this the best solution. Please help I have only 2 days to cover 2 chapters.

I don't understand. this is your retake paper? so you failed the first time around. why have you waited until 2 days before the paper to study? what have you been doing the entire year?
Original post by nabid61
I'm predicting this:

Hey, could you please help me with your argument strategy for the first question on strong and stable governments. Have a feeling it could be this.

Could you talk about
1) FPTP producing majorities in the past with clear mandates to govern
but what else?
Original post by Audrey18
I don't understand. this is your retake paper? so you failed the first time around. why have you waited until 2 days before the paper to study? what have you been doing the entire year?

Pipe down just a little, getting a C is hardly a fail. I got 87% last year and im resitting for 90%, is that still a fail for you? Stay in your lane xoxo
Original post by AndyheywoodisGOD
Pipe down just a little, getting a C is hardly a fail. I got 87% last year and im resitting for 90%, is that still a fail for you? Stay in your lane xoxo

Its true, I'm in the same predicament. Got a C last year and I'm resiting. Only really started revising this week, because realistically i have other a-levels to prepare for. Not going to spend months revising a resit paper I've learnt before, wheres the logic in that.

Some people have too much confidence on this site
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by wailzy
Its true, I'm in the same predicament. Got a C last year and I'm resiting. Only really started revising this week, because realistically i have other a-levels to prepare for. Not going to spend months revising a resit paper I've learnt before, wheres the logic in that.

Some people have too much confidence on this site

if it makes you feel better I got an E in my unit 1 and B for unit 2 don't know how that happened, good luck everyone
Does anyone have any recent examples from 2017 general election for participation and voting behaviour and pressure groups because i cant seem to find many good ones.
Reply 16
I've checked the mark scheme but still not quite understanding it. Can anyone here care to help?
Original post by trulidudley
Does anyone have any recent examples from 2017 general election for participation and voting behaviour and pressure groups because i cant seem to find many good ones.

https://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/media/Documents/magazine-extras/Politics%20Review/Pol%20Rev%20Vol%2027%20No%201/PoliticsReview_27-1_Poster.pdf?ext=.pdf
Reply 18
How did everyone find it? I feel although it was a weird paper it wasn't too bad
Participation was a okay the 10 marker was worded weirdly but the 25 marker was a dream and the pressure group section was pretty good overall.

Quick Reply

Latest