A Level Chemistry - Drying Agent vs Dehydrating Agent

Watch
revisionlad
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

What is the difference between a Drying agent such as CaCl2 and a Dehydrating Agent such as H2SO4?

I've heard that H2SO4 can be used in Esterification reactions to increase yield, but does it act as a drying agent to remove water, hence push equilibrium to RHS, whilst also acting as a catalyst in supplying H+ ions?

Hence, does CaCl2 not also remove water impurities in a seperating funnel of when you practically do the Esterifcation exp? -- - why is this known as a drying agent whereas H2SO4 is known as a dehydrating agent?

Thanks.

RevLad.
Thomas Midgley
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Drying agents are usually insoluble salts that will remove water molecules from organic solvents or an atmosphere in a dessicator to form hydrated salts.
For example MgCl2 + 4H2O ---> MgCl2.4H2O

Dehydrating agents like sulphuric acid remove water during a chemical synthesis or reaction.
For example Hydrated copper(II) sulfate has the formula CuSO4. 5H2O. The addition of concentrated sulfuric acid removes the water of crystallisation to produce anhydrous copper(II) sulfate.
Wolfram Alpha
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Drying agent just removes the moisture whereas a dehydrating agent usually acts as a reactant, it helps the formation of a new substance by removing some parts of the other reactant as water.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (105)
35.96%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (41)
14.04%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (16)
5.48%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (30)
10.27%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (36)
12.33%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (35)
11.99%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (29)
9.93%

Watched Threads