Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I’m currently making a final decision on accepting an offer for uni and I’ve narrowed it down to 2 courses- Social and Public Policy + Spanish at Glasgow uni or International Relations + Spanish at St Andrews. I’m struggling because there’s so many factors I need to take into account:

1. Cost- St Andrews accomodation is veryy expensive, whereas Glasgow’s prices are a lot more reasonable
    2. Student life- I’m from the west of Scotland, near Glasgow myself and I love the city atmosphere and way of life, especially in Glasgow. I’m worried I wouldn’t fit in at St Andrews and would feel bored or cut off as it is such a small place in comparison
    3. Course content, obviously- International Relations is such a prestigious course and I was delighted to get an unconditional but having looked at the modules for Social and Public Policy, it’s a course that’s very much based around what I’m passionate about such as equality and poverty. I’m equally as interested in International Relations as well but i don’t know if it would be a bit too politics based for me
    4. I’d be moving to St Andrews alone whereas for the most part my friends are staying in Glasgow. Obviously I’m not going to let that greatly influence my decision but it is a factor
    5. I’m a singer and musician and would really like to continue performing with bands etc when I go to uni, and Glasgow is well known for its huge music scene
    6. Part time jobs- I’ve heard it’s very difficult to find work in St Andrews but Dundee is nearby so I could maybe work there. In Glasgow I’d have no problem finding something

Basically, I think living in Glasgow is probably more suited to me personally however I really don’t want to regret turning down such a great opportunity to study a very good course at one of the best unis in the UK.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially if you’ve studied/are studying these courses and can give me a more detailed idea of what they involve!!
    Thank youu
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hey there,

I totally understand why you are in two minds and why it's a difficult situation.

St. Andrews was my first choice university. I didn't get in in the end so I wasn't faced with your very difficult decision but I really sympathise. I ended up going to Glasgow so I'm able to offer a bit of advice about that.

I must say - there isn't a day goes by that I at all regret going to Glasgow or even wonder what my life would have been like if I'd attended St Andrews. I totally appreciate that in the minds of a lot of people it is more prestigious and that this is quantified in league tables. However, I really do strongly believe you have to do what's right for you. I thought that I would fit in at St Andrews as I was from a small place, I was very shy and geeky and just wanted a quiet life so I thought it was the 'right' thing for me, especially as it was so well respected. However, I really do think that going to Glasgow opened my mind in such a good way and provided me with way more life experiences than I would have got otherwise. I met a huge range of different people, I loved the course I did, the experience of living in a big city was really vital for me and I believe has set me up for moving elsewhere in a way that I'd have been much more worried about had I been living in St Andrews. I also got to make the best of living in a vibrant city and learning how to be streetwise whilst taking in all that Glasgow has to offer. With the benefit of hindsight I know that it was definitely the right decision.

I would also say that ultimately if the course seems more up your street at Glasgow that would be another huge deciding factor for me. I am always saying to younger friends and on TSR that the course is the thing you should go for the most. Everything else slips into place when you enjoy what you're studying. It makes meeting people, getting to know a city and feeling at home much easier in my opinion because you ultimately feel you're working towards a goal productively. Work doesn't feel like work when it's what you love!

Another thing - league tables aren't the be all and end all and ultimately, enjoying the course and feeling happy are what are going to lead you to do well and achieve your potential. It doesn't matter if you go to a high flying uni if you have a miserable time and don't do the best you could do. It would be much wiser to go to a still very highly regarded uni and have a fantastic four years!

Anyway, that's just my experience. I know people who went to St Andrew's and had a great time and of course I can only share my personal story. I have now lived in Glasgow for 7 years though and I now work in student accommodation so have quite a broad and deep range of knowledge about the student experience here.

I thought answering your points in order would be helpful!

1. Cost - You are definitely right about this. In my experience it is very easy to live cheaply in Glasgow across the board and splash out when you are feeling flush! In my experience, most of my friends were also in a very similar financial position to myself.
    2. Student life - St Andrews is a totally different way of life to Glasgow, I would agree. My cousin went from Glasgow to St Andrews and loved how he knew everyone in the street, etc but it's definitely not for everyone. I loved how in the West End you might see people you knew but it was also very easy to go into the city centre and feel anonymous and part of a big city again.
    3. Course content, obviously - As I mention above, if the Glasgow course feels more suitable to you this should be a huge factor!
    4. I’d be moving to St Andrews alone whereas for the most part my friends are staying in Glasgow. Obviously I’m not going to let that greatly influence my decision but it is a factor - As you rightly say, I wouldn't make this a big factor. If you are still close with your school friends then that is lovely but really everyone makes such different friendship groups at uni that your friendship dynamics could change anyway.
    5. I’m a singer and musician and would really like to continue performing with bands etc when I go to uni, and Glasgow is well known for its huge music scene - I can't argue with you here. Glasgow's music scene is amazing and this would give you a chance to really make the most of extra curriculars!
    6. Part time jobs- I’ve heard it’s very difficult to find work in St Andrews but Dundee is nearby so I could maybe work there. In Glasgow I’d have no problem finding something - Again, I would very much agree. The competition for jobs in St Andrews and Dundee will be higher as they are smaller and job hunting is difficult anywhere but as you rightly say, the pool is much bigger in Glasgow.

Ultimately only you can make the final decision but I hope this helps!

Lilith

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BridgeHouseGlasgow)
    Hey there,

I totally understand why you are in two minds though and why it's a difficult situation.

St. Andrews was my first choice university. I didn't get in in the end so I wasn't faced with your very difficult decision so I really sympathise. I ended up going to Glasgow so I'm able to offer a bit of advice about that.

I must say - there isn't a day goes by that I at all regret going to Glasgow or even wonder what my life would have been like if I'd attended St Andrews. I totally appreciate that in the minds of a lot of people it is more prestigious and that this is quantified in league tables. However, I really do strongly believe you have to do what's right for you. I thought that I would fit in at St Andrews as I was from a small place, I was very shy and geeky and just wanted a quiet life so I thought it was the 'right' thing for me, especially as it was so well respected. However, I really do think that going to Glasgow opened my mind in such a good way and provided me with way more life experiences than I would have got anyway. I met a huge range of different people, I loved the course I did, the experience of living in a big city was really vital for me and I believe has set me up for moving elsewhere in a way that I'd have been much more worried about with St Andrews. I also got to make the best of living in a vibrant city and learning how to be streetwise whilst taking in all that Glasgow has to offer. With the benefit of hindsight I know that it was definitely the right decision.

I would also say that ultimately if the course seems more up your street at Glasgow that would be another huge deciding factor for me. I am always saying to younger friends and on TSR that the course is the thing you should go for the most. Everything else slips into place when you enjoy what you're studying. It makes meeting people, getting to know a city and feeling at home much easier in my opinion because you ultimately feel you're working towards a goal productively. Work doesn't feel like work when it's what you love!

Another thing - league tables aren't the be all and end all and ultimately, enjoying the course and feeling happy are what are going to lead you to do well and achieve your potential. It doesn't matter if you go to a high flying uni but have a miserable time and don't do the best you could do. It would be much wiser to go to a still very highly regarded uni and have a fantastic four years!

Anyway, that's just my experience. I know people who went to St Andrew's and had a great experience and of course I can only share my personal experience. I have now lived in Glasgow for 7 years though and I now work in student accommodation so have quite a broad and deep range of knowledge about the student experience here.

I thought answering your points in order would be helpful!

1. Cost - You are definitely right about this. In my experience it is very easy to live cheaply in Glasgow across the board and splash out when you are feeling flush! In my experience, most of my friends were also in a very similar financial position to myself.
    2. Student life - St Andrews is a totally different way of life to Glasgow, I would agree. My cousin went from Glasgow to St Andrews and loved how he knew everyone in the street, etc but it's definitely not for everyone. I loved how in the West End you might see people you knew but it was also very easy to go into the city centre and feel anonymous and part of a big city again.
    3. Course content, obviously - As I mention above, if the Glasgow course feels more suitable to you this should be a huge factor!
    4. I’d be moving to St Andrews alone whereas for the most part my friends are staying in Glasgow. Obviously I’m not going to let that greatly influence my decision but it is a factor - As you rightly say, I wouldn't make this a big factor. If you are still close with your school friends then that is lovely but really everyone makes such different friendship groups at uni that your friendship dynamics could change anyway.
    5. I’m a singer and musician and would really like to continue performing with bands etc when I go to uni, and Glasgow is well known for its huge music scene - I can't argue with you here. Glasgow's music scene is amazing and this would give you a chance to really make the most of extra curriculars!
    6. Part time jobs- I’ve heard it’s very difficult to find work in St Andrews but Dundee is nearby so I could maybe work there. In Glasgow I’d have no problem finding something - Again, I would very much agree. The competition for jobs in St Andrews and Dundee will be higher as they are smaller and job hunting is difficult anywhere but as you rightly say, the pool is much bigger in Glasgow.

Ultimately only you can make the final decision but I hope this helps!

Lilith
    Thank you so much, this has really helped me feel a lot more confident about the situation. It's great to get an opinion from someone who was in a similar situation, especially since you don't regret it at all!!

I'll definitely take all of what you said into account to help make my decision, and hopefully I'll make the right choice! Thank you
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Mhorbhairne)
    Thank you so much, this has really helped me feel a lot more confident about the situation. It's great to get an opinion from someone who was in a similar situation, especially since you don't regret it at all!!

I'll definitely take all of what you said into account to help make my decision, and hopefully I'll make the right choice! Thank you
    No problem at all. Honestly, I don't regret it at all. Not getting into St Andrew's was a true blessing in disguise. I wish I could go back aged 25 and tell this to my 17 year old self! If you have any more questions please feel free to get in touch. You'll make the right decision in the end I am sure. Take care!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 22, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.