The Student Room Group

Price of a sandwich in 1972

we are never going back to those days...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
sosage
Bloody hell...

Back then, we (the customers) were the daylight robbers!
Reply 4
It's called inflation and is exactly what happens to money that is sitting under the mattress or in a low interest bank account.
Original post by ma_long
It's called inflation and is exactly what happens to money that is sitting under the mattress or in a low interest bank account.

Joke's on you; I live hand to mouth.
Well it's not surprising when the average monthly wage was just £31.10 :biggrin:
Decimalisation was in 1971, so prior to that everything would have cost 2 shillings and sixpence.
15p in 1972 is £1.86 today. Tesco sells sandwiches for £2 each from when I last bought one. I would say it's basically the same then since now we at least get it in plastic and cold rather than stacked up on a shelf
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Well it's not surprising when the average monthly wage was just £31.10 :biggrin:

Close, but no cigar. That was the average WEEKLY wage in October 1971.

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1972/mar/13/weekly-wage
Original post by Good bloke
Close, but no cigar. That was the average WEEKLY wage in October 1971.

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1972/mar/13/weekly-wage

Ah, my bad :yy:

in 50 years, the price of a bitcoin should go up like the sandwich due to inflation too.
But they didn’t have tesco meal deal
Original post by HucktheForde
in 50 years, the price of a bitcoin should go up like the sandwich due to inflation too.

Are you still holding your crypto?
Are you still holding your crypto?

yes but bitcoin and eth only. no alts
Original post by HucktheForde

we are never going back to those days...

Perhaps a bit like petrol prices then/then? :smile:
Things were harder in the 1970s compared to today this picture doesnt show the full picture
but why they stacking them like that its food not goddamn clothes TF
Original post by Cxm
I would say it's basically the same then since now we at least get it in plastic and cold rather than stacked up on a shelf

I was thinking surely the bread of the sandwiches would go stale very quickly just being left in the open on the shelf like that. Maybe I'm just too picky... :h:
Original post by CTLeafez
I was thinking surely the bread of the sandwiches would go stale very quickly just being left in the open on the shelf like that. Maybe I'm just too picky... :h:

Hygiene standards change, of course, but that is probably a very small and popular sandwich shop that operates for about two hours in the middle of the day in the business district of a major city, where the food is prepared on site, fresh during the morning (with the shop closed) and sold within an hour or so at lunch time. Everything, from buying and preparation to selling and the after-closing clean-up, is a production line and designed for speed. Nothing will be stale.

Quick Reply

Latest