The Student Room Group

Get into Medicine day courses?

Poll

Medicine entry day courses, your opinion?

Hi,

I'd like to hear from people who have been to these courses (TMP, Medify, Kaplan, etc) whether they're worth the money/time/travel. From what I've read the debate is about 50/50, some say all the information is online, others say they felt much more prepared after attending an interview course/personal statement/general information. I'm not in the UK atm so I'm really struggling to decide whether the trip and money are worth it. I'm applying 2019/2020.

Also, how much £££ is too much for a full day course? Thanks!
wAste OF mOnEY And tiME.
Seriously though, I live in the UK and attended several of these courses and they were of no benefit - in fact, in retrospect, I would not have attended them for free. I personally think you are WILD for even considering attending these courses, considering the fact that you live abroad!
Reply 3
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
Seriously though, I live in the UK and attended several of these courses and they were of no benefit - in fact, in retrospect, I would not have attended them for free. I personally think you are WILD for even considering attending these courses, considering the fact that you live abroad!

Do you mean you wouldn't have attended them even if they were free? *edit* Surely the free ones are less valuable than those that are paid?

Well, idk. It's what I'm trying to find out!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by emmwhite
Do you mean you wouldn't have attended them even if they were free? *edit* Surely the free ones are less valuable than those that are paid?

Well, idk. It's what I'm trying to find out!

What I meant is, even if the courses that cost, say, 400£ were given to me for free I would not have gone because they were of no use. Basically, don't bother.
They run identical courses for getting into veterinary medicine - but strangely enough almost everyone who gets in hasn't been on one of those courses... so it's almost like they serve no purpose :wink:
Hi,

I'd like to hear from people who have been to these courses (TMP, Medify, Kaplan, etc) whether they're worth the money/time/travel. From what I've read the debate is about 50/50, some say all the information is online, others say they felt much more prepared after attending an interview course/personal statement/general information. I'm not in the UK atm so I'm really struggling to decide whether the trip and money are worth it. I'm applying 2019/2020.

Also, how much £££ is too much for a full day course? Thanks!

If money is not a problem at all, then go if you want. But I honestly believe all the information is available online and in books. This applies to both pre- and post-interview stages.
Reply 7
It's not looking good for courses. NO one thinks they're worthwhile? :K:
It's not looking good for courses. NO one thinks they're worthwhile? :K:

I think it will vary a lot as people have different experiences at courses and some feel they were of benefit and others don't. It depends largely on how much help and information you receive from schools/parents/relatives, as some people get a lot more support than others which inherently makes the process less balanced. There is a huge amount of information available for free online, however many students feel they don't know what information is relevant or trustworthy, and would like that direct contact with people who have been through the process themselves. Because of this I help run a new two day course that we set up last year that we feel is the best value for money course there is, with the most comprehensive information on personal statements, interviews, ethics, work experience, Oxbridge applications, life as a medical student and a junior doctor. So far the feedback we have received has been fantastic, with students saying they felt much better prepared for their application, enjoyed the practical sessions and learning medical student skills, and that it was a very worthwhile investment.
If you're interested you can check out:
https://www.facebook.com/Elite-Medics-954268354714478/

www.elitemedics.co.uk

I hope this is of some use!

Quick Reply

Latest