The Student Room Group

eng lit exam discussion

I did Macbeth and a Xmas carol. How did y’all find it. I thought Macbeth did us good but a Xmas carol. what on earth....
Reply 1
Original post by hiri34
I did Macbeth and a Xmas carol. How did y’all find it. I thought Macbeth did us good but a Xmas carol. what on earth....

How was Macbeth
Agreed for A Christmas Carol. After years of studying poverty, redemption, change eg, that was a horrible question.
Macbeth and Frankenstein were easy and although I don't take it I would guess that Pride and Prejudice was easy as it asked the candidate to explore the themes of pride and prejudice.
Reply 4
Original post by Skkkk
How was Macbeth

Pretty good
Reply 5
Original post by bdemirhan
Agreed for A Christmas Carol. After years of studying poverty, redemption, change eg, that was a horrible question.

What sorta stuff did u include
Reply 6
Original post by Kakemono
Macbeth and Frankenstein were easy and although I don't take it I would guess that Pride and Prejudice was easy as it asked the candidate to explore the themes of pride and prejudice.

Original post by hiri34
Pretty good

What quotes did u use
well it's not lit anymore
I loved that they asked us about the supernatural for Macbeth. If only I knew more about Banquo though but oh well
Original post by Skkkk
What quotes did u use

For what?
Reply 10
Am I the only one that didn’t look at fear in a literal sense? I made the points that Scrooge’s fears made him vulnerable and seseptable to change as well as leading him to become an outsider to society??
Reply 11
Original post by Skkkk
What quotes did u use

Stuff from the extract cuz then at least ur evidence is included a couple of times in ur essay and u will hit that criteria the rest i just paraphrased which is still evidence
Reply 12
Original post by NotYourAuntCarol
I loved that they asked us about the supernatural for Macbeth. If only I knew more about Banquo though but oh well

What did u write for instruments of darkness - well if u analysed that quote which I’m sure most ppl did
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Kakemono
For what?

Macbeth
I used "I ought to be thy Adam..." and the De Lacey scene "Felix struck me with a stick" ect ect
Original post by hiri34
What did u write for instruments of darkness - well if u analysed that quote which I’m sure most ppl did

I wrote that it demonstrates that he’s well aware of their power and influence over evil- thus wary of them- and of the way they can trick people with equivocation, while Macbeth was all like yeah I trust you and that’s pretty stupid
I did the same (Xmas Carol and Macbeth). Xmas carol I talked about
"Scrooge feared the silent shape so much that his legs trembled" (from extract)
"The phantom gravely, silently approached" (from extract, something similar)
"Tell me if tiny tim will live"
"Father is so much kinder than he used to be"
"Oh tell me I may sponge away the writing on this stone"

For Macbeth, I wrote about
"Instuments of darkness cannot be ill, cannot be good" (extract)
""Two truths are told" (extract)
"If you can look into the seeds of time and tell us which grains will grow and which will not" -banquo
A few more quotes which I can't remember. But I didn't talk about context for any of them! Don't know how many marks I lost their
Original post by Nadim Chowdhury
I did the same (Xmas Carol and Macbeth). Xmas carol I talked about
"Scrooge feared the silent shape so much that his legs trembled" (from extract)
"The phantom gravely, silently approached" (from extract, something similar)
"Tell me if tiny tim will live"
"Father is so much kinder than he used to be"
"Oh tell me I may sponge away the writing on this stone"

For Macbeth, I wrote about
"Instuments of darkness cannot be ill, cannot be good" (extract)
""Two truths are told" (extract)
"If you can look into the seeds of time and tell us which grains will grow and which will not" -banquo
A few more quotes which I can't remember. But I didn't talk about context for any of them! Don't know how many marks I lost their

I think context might be 6 marks,so without any context at all, thats about 24 max that you can get, which Im guessing is a 7. Dont worry, you probably did great apart from that minor error (not really minor, but Im trying not to depress ya, eh)
Reply 18
What did you guys write for Romeo and Juliet and Journey's End?
I was so happy Lord Capulet and the theme of power came up, literally the most baitest theme ever.
For JE, I did Q13 about trench life, that was calm too, just a lot of context.

What did you guys write specifically?
moved to the GCSEs forum :grin:

Quick Reply

Latest