Computer science or art? Watch

Beth Seymour
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I am choosing my GCSE options in a few weeks and torn between computer science and art as they are in the same block. I love and understand both. Art I think is less important but more enjoyable. Computer science can help me in most jobs but I am a creative person as well. Any advice would be appreciated! 😊
Kakemono
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Computer science all the way.
TopSurgeon21Cent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
computer science, because creative people are good at solving problems
(Original post by Beth Seymour)
I am choosing my GCSE options in a few weeks and torn between computer science and art as they are in the same block. I love and understand both. Art I think is less important but more enjoyable. Computer science can help me in most jobs but I am a creative person as well. Any advice would be appreciated! 😊
Snowman of Doom
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Art is a lot more time consuming because of all the coursework. Personally I think computer science is infinitely easier to get a good grade in, but it also depends on how good you are at art!
ioWolfdinii
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
There's enough people in computer science, go into art and leave us with the jobs
dont take our jobs, join art and stay there
Beth Seymour
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snowman of Doom)
Art is a lot more time consuming because of all the coursework. Personally I think computer science is infinitely easier to get a good grade in, but it also depends on how good you are at art!
Thank you! I am only average really in art but i do enjoy it and it’s a field I would like to come into my work in the future
Maivnek
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
CS
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
yungabzzz
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I did both GCSE Art and Computer Science. I got an A* in both (full UMS in the Computer Science exam). I can tell you that Art is 100x more difficult and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The workload is so heavy that you'll be up late nights painting/sketching/typing evaluations. I revised GCSE Computer Science only 2 weeks before the exam and I got full UMS.

If I'm being honest, the subjects you choose at GCSE do not contribute much to any important factors such as uni choice, only A-Levels matter.

Choose what you love to do/enjoy the most but if you want an easy A* and a calm ride through Year 11 then go for GCSE Computer Science.
atlanticbird
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Depends what you are looking for. As an art student myself, you require 5 hours every week (minimum) from YR10 to get the best grade (9). However, with CS, it is much more based on your skill and knowledge. IMO, you should do computer science. Also, I know this shouldn't really be a factor, but make sure you like the teacher. My art teacher hated me, even though i was decent. So the whole 2 years were dreadful.
Snowman of Doom
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Thank you! I am only average really in art but i do enjoy it and it’s a field I would like to come into my work in the future
Regardless of whether you take it at GCSE, nothing is really stopping you from pursuing it later in life. But if you enjoy it, I imagine you're also likely to put the work in that's necessary for the coursework to get a good grade.
Best of luck with whatever you decide on!
Reversed Flash
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Art as computer science (for someone who isn't already experienced with computers) would be like 5 sciences multiplied by Maths...
username3996772
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I was in the same exact dillema as you are in right now. I chose Computer Science and I do not regret my choice at all.
Eesha Ahsen
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by yungabzzz)
If I'm being honest, the subjects you choose at GCSE do not contribute much to any important factors such as uni choice, only A-Levels matter.

Choose what you love to do/enjoy the most but if you want an easy A* and a calm ride through Year 11 then go for GCSE Computer Science.
I agree, I am currently doing both those subjects and I have to say, my art work took away many hours of my other revision time and consisted of countless late nights working on my sketchbook. However, if you genuinely enjoy the subject, I don't see any reason stopping you from taking it! You don't actually have to be good at Art to do well in it because most of it is about development of ideas, medias you've used, and your journey to your work (as cheesy as it sounds).
Computer Science was also an extremely enjoyable course, especially if you enjoy the subject. It comes with less troubles and nuisances, I'd say, but the choice is up to you!
Beth Seymour
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reversed Flash)
Art as computer science (for someone who isn't already experienced with computers) would be like 5 sciences multiplied by Maths...
Oh are you sure? Many people say it is an easier option, I’m not a great science or maths fan but so far in year 9 I am the top of the class in cs and finding it easy
Beth Seymour
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eesha Ahsen)
I agree, I am currently doing both those subjects and I have to say, my art work took away many hours of my other revision time and consisted of countless late nights working on my sketchbook. However, if you genuinely enjoy the subject, I don't see any reason stopping you from taking it! You don't actually have to be good at Art to do well in it because most of it is about development of ideas, medias you've used, and your journey to your work (as cheesy as it sounds).
Computer Science was also an extremely enjoyable course, especially if you enjoy the subject. It comes with less troubles and nuisances, I'd say, but the choice is up to you!
I completely agree with all of these points and wish I could do both! You were very lucky, but I have to choose triple science if I want to do it instead of it being a core subject... which takes away an option block. Thank you for your help.
Reversed Flash
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Oh are you sure? Many people say it is an easier option, I’m not a great science or maths fan but so far in year 9 I am the top of the class in cs and finding it easy
If you want you can have a look at some of the papers. GCSE computer science is way different to what is being done in year 9...
Snowman of Doom
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Depends what kind of stuff you've been doing in year 9. If it's what we did (eg. Excel, Scratch) then CS for GCSE isn't like that at all.
However, I think the two papers for OCR computer science were quite easy and it seems there was a general consensus that it wasn't too hard provided your teacher had taught you everything! I'd advise you make sure your CS department is good because another thing is that it seems the whole of the UK is lacking in good teachers for CS lol. I think the main reason you'd struggle is if you had a bad teacher, but its nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of learning from a revision guide in your own time.
hananah!
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I am in year eleven and have taken both, I can honestly say that Art was far better for me. I enjoyed the creativity and freedom that we were given. Computer science was great in the first year, but some of the teaching on theory was rushed... Plus don't count on coursework - it was scrapped WHILE we were doing it, so expect your exams to be fully paper-based. Coding gives you a lot of creative leeway, which is great, and can also be fun! If you're good at it, you will probably find computer science enjoyable - plus you're opening the gateway to a well-paid subject. Art is very easy to fall behind on, but for me the course was worth it as it goes towards what I want to do in the future.

I'd say to weigh up the options, talk to people taking each subject in your school, and think about how the options would work out for where you want to get. While you don't necessarily have to have taken computer science at GCSE to take it at A-Level, in most circumstances you'd have to have taken art or something similar before in order to study it further. I hope you manage to choose what's best for you, sorry for the ramble 😁
thestudent33
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Computer science as it is more valuable and can lead to a range of well payed career options. However choose what you love best!

Good luck!
erica3358
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Eesha Ahsen)
Your advice has helped me come to my decision between art or computer science gcse too!! Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (59)
15.17%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (38)
9.77%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (74)
19.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
15.17%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (43)
11.05%
How can I be the best version of myself? (116)
29.82%

Watched Threads