Tactics on resit Watch

s2000_147
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi
Im a year 12 student and recevied a disappointing result last week.

Maths C1 94/100 (Edecxel) OK
Economics 2881 61/90 (OCR) 2marks off B
Philosophy and Ethics foundation 59/100 (OCR) 1 marks off C
Chemistry 2850 Chemistry for life 62/90 (Salter) 2marks off B

I was expecting to get AA in Maths and CHEMISTRY (Was very confident of getting A in CHEM, but dunno what went wrong) , BB in Economics and philosophy at least. But decide to drop CHEMISRY this year.

I plan to do a PPE course in York, typical offer AAB. How important will my predicted grades be when I apply for UNI?

Will it be a good tactic on retaking Economics and Philosophy this JUNE to boost my UMS in order to get a higher predicted grade? Good idea just focus on subjects that I want to take onto A2?

Is it true that the resit will be straight after the new original exam(s) of that subject in JUNE?

Thanks for reading and advices are welcome!
Barry Scott
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They're not that bad. Retakes require revision much like every other exam. You're predicted grades should be at least AAB if you are applying to a good uni like York. Also, if you think you're more likely to get an A in chemistry that philosophy, drop philosophy. You have maths and economics so it wont matter.
s2000_147
(Original post by matt54)
They're not that bad. Retakes require revision much like every other exam. You're predicted grades should be at least AAB if you are applying to a good uni like York. Also, if you think you're more likely to get an A in chemistry that philosophy, drop philosophy. You have maths and economics so it wont matter.
Do you think it is better to retake them in JUNE rather than January next year? It looks a little bit wierd if I want to do PPE, but I drop Philosophy at AS, dont't you think?
Barry Scott
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by s2000_147)
Do you think it is better to retake them in JUNE rather than January next year? It looks a little bit wierd if I want to do PPE, but I drop Philosophy at AS, dont't you think?
If you take them in june then you have more time to resit again. TBH, an a-level is an a-level and you are doing maths so dropping philosophy wont harm your application.
s2000_147
If you take them in june then you have more time to resit again. TBH, an a-level is an a-level and you are doing maths so dropping philosophy wont harm your application.
Thanks, actually, how school justify our predicted grades? IS it simply by what you get in AS?

Are you doing A2 at the moment? Decide to do Economics and Politics at Bristol uni? (AAA) hard work! Good luck!
Barry Scott
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by s2000_147)
Thanks, actually, how school justify our predicted grades? IS it simply by what you get in AS?

Are you doing A2 at the moment? Decide to do Economics and Politics at Bristol uni? (AAA) hard work! Good luck!
Our school predicts grades by what you get at AS plus a grade normally but if you need higher predictions, they will give it to you. I got AAA at AS anyway so it was alright.
Yeah im doing Economics and politics at Bristol grades permitting. I was going to do PPE and apply to Oxford but I hated philosophy at AS so decided against it.
s2000_147
Our school predicts grades by what you get at AS plus a grade normally but if you need higher predictions, they will give it to you. I got AAA at AS anyway so it was alright.
Yeah im doing Economics and politics at Bristol grades permitting. I was going to do PPE and apply to Oxford but I hated philosophy at AS so decided against it.
Hated Philosophy, why? I know sometimes it gets dull debating about your moral views etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (38)
27.14%
No - I got the required grades (84)
60%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (18)
12.86%

Watched Threads