The latest or ever?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
The latest or ever?
The book . I've edited the thread title.

(I keep forgetting about the blog...)
aspiringlawyerNW
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
One of the girls I study with has been reading it and said she would lend it to me after she's done.

What do you think of it?
Doones
Rep:
?
(Original post by AndrewMarkSP)
One of the girls I study with has been reading it and said she would lend it to me after she's done.

What do you think of it?
It's excellent. I knew the criminal law system was struggling but I had no idea how bad things are. The "innocence tax" in particular was a standout for me.

And the poor pay for most criminal barristers was a surprise!

I'm going to be doing some jury service in the summer so it will be interesting to see things up close and personal...
aspiringlawyerNW
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
It's excellent. I knew the criminal law system was struggling but I had no idea how bad things are. The "innocence tax" in particular was a standout for me.

And the poor pay for most criminal barristers was a surprise!

I'm going to be doing some jury service in the summer so it will be interesting to see things up close and personal...
I thought that it was common knowledge regarding the pay at the criminal bar. Many starting out work for well under the equivalent of minimum wage...

He is rather hilarious on Twitter, so I look forward to reading the book.
Doones
Rep:
?
(Original post by AndrewMarkSP)
I thought that it was common knowledge regarding the pay at the criminal bar. Many starting out work for well under the equivalent of minimum wage...
IANAL so it wasn't common knowledge for me
unveilednectar
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Have you read it?

:beard: :holmes:
Hi there, intriguing thread, considering I was willing to get my hands on this book for a while, after reading several enlightening reviews of it online. Nonetheless, it delves in further into the functioning of the justice system and how corrupt it can be under certain circumstances. How are you finding the book this far? I would definatley be purchasing it soon. I have not a gist if you are aware of this nevertheless theres always a common theme which is legal study, which is what bases an individual to be treated differently or unique to everyone else.

Thank you for the heads up.
Doones
Rep:
?
(Original post by unveilednectar)
Hi there, intriguing thread, considering I was willing to get my hands on this book for a while, after reading several enlightening reviews of it online. Nonetheless, it delves in further into the functioning of the justice system and how corrupt it can be under certain circumstances. How are you finding the book this far? I would definatley be purchasing it soon. I have not a gist if you are aware of this nevertheless theres always a common theme which is legal study, which is what bases an individual to be treated differently or unique to everyone else.

Thank you for the heads up.
It's not about corruption...
unveilednectar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's not about corruption...
I am conscious of that though its subtle was my indirect comment.
Doones
Rep:
?
I am conscious of that though its subtle was my indirect comment.
Pardon?
unveilednectar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Pardon?
I was being indirect in my initial response. Regardless of what career fields one dive into there will always be a subtle hint of negativeness poisoned in there. Lawyers are no exception in this either considering the matter that at times they will have to lie. That is one of many negative aspect of it. I was not instigating that the book is corrupt. Of course not.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Pardon?
They're only trying to feel involved. Mustn't be too cruel.

To the Q, did see it publicised but not criminally leaning so never interested me. Hahaha we law students don't get much time for light reading, I fear.

I was being indirect in my initial response. Regardless of what career fields one dive into there will always be a subtle hint of negativeness poisoned in there. Lawyers are no exception in this either considering the matter that at times they will have to lie. That is one of many negative aspect of it. I was not instigating that the book is corrupt. Of course not.
Lawyers don't lie. They repeat lies.
FloralHybrid
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Have you read it?

:beard: :holmes:
Would you recommend this book to an aspiring law student, or is it more aimed towards those with prior legal knowledge?
giothevanna11
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by FloralHybrid)
Would you recommend this book to an aspiring law student, or is it more aimed towards those with prior legal knowledge?
I second this question Looked it up and from the sample that was available it seemed pretty accessible (but then again I a) skimmed it and b) have no idea if this continues throughout the book).
unveilednectar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Lawyers don't lie. They repeat lies.
Hi there, irrespective a lie is a lie, whether one is repeating or stating it themselves. The worst offence is to actually repeat the lie as it then becomes convincing to person B, dependent upon their vested interest and how manipulative they are.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi there, irrespective a lie is a lie, whether one is repeating or stating it themselves. The worst offence is to actually repeat the lie as it then becomes convincing to person B, dependent upon their vested interest and how manipulative they are.
You should have taught my legal ethics class.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I must read this book. :yep: He's been in the media a few times and has extremely interesting things to say.
Doones
Rep:
?
I wasn't assuming you considered the book corrupt. I was assuming you thought the book was about corruption. It isn't.

It's more about the lack of government funding causing chronic problems to the criminal justice system. I suggest you read it

Posted from TSR Mobile
unveilednectar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
You should have taught my legal ethics class.
Sarcasm?- Nonetheless I would take it on the chin. Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (6)
4.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
16.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
13.97%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
29.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.65%

Watched Threads