Sciencenerd101's Summer Bucket List!

Watch
Sciencenerd101
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello and welcome to my summer bucket list 2018! I'm quite new to TSR but I really like blogging so I'm planning to keep this updated throughout the summer! :party:

So a little bit about me!
I'm 16 and currently in year 11 meaning that at the moment I'm sitting y GCSEs! :eek4: So far they're going ok but it does mean I probably won't be able to update this much (if at all) until June 21st when I finish my last exam (further maths and German writing) but after that I have 2 and 1/2 months ish of summer! Yay! Previously I've had really unproductive summers new summer new me! (excuse the excessive use of exclamation marks)

Key:
Done
In progress
Not yet started (I know I could use red but that looks a little negative)
My bucket list:
This summer I'm going to:
  1. finish reading 'This is Going to Hurt' by Adam Kay (It's a diary-style book written by someone who used to be a junior doctor and it's both funny and sad all at the same time- highly recommend)
  2. read '12 Rules for Life' by Jordan Peterson (Haven't started this yet and I know that Peterson can be quite controversial but I was gifted it and it looks really good- about how to be happy and stuff )
  3. finish reading 'Bad Science' by Ben Goldacre (Started reading this last spring (oops) but stuff got in the way- it's about science (it case you can't guess) but it's also really funny- not too sciencey for those who don't like science)
  4. read 'I Think You'll Find it's a Bit More Complicated Than That' by Ben Goldacre (Whoops this is turning into a bit of a reading list (oh well!) yep this is another book! I was gifted and it looks really good, similar to 'Bad Science' I believe)
  5. read this old GCSE level psychology book I found in the house (Last book I promise! I find psychology really interesting so I can't wait to read it-used a bit of it for my English Language Spoken Endorsement in February)
  6. learn Spanish to a conversational level (Just basic conversation, not full on political debates In 2019 I'm doing a World Challenge to Nicaragua and I don't speak any Spanish so I think this would be useful)
  7. NCS (I've already signed up and paid so I'm defo doing it )
  8. do some work experience in a lab/science place (In case you haven't already worked it out, I love science. I know WEX in a lab probably won't happen but I can dream)
  9. learn to write in shorthand (My mum can do this (in several languages!) and I think it will be really useful for taking down notes quickly e.g. at A-level and uni)
  10. go to at least 1 uni open day (pretty self-explanatory really- perhaps UCL, Imperial, Oxbridge?)
  11. 💜💜💜💜raise lots of money for my world challenge (next summer I'm going on WC to South America where I'll be doing lots of trekking, learning about local culture and doing conservation work in the mangroves to rrbuild animal habitats but first i need to raise just under £4000- I'm going to be doing a quiz night to get a few hundred and planning to open an Etsy shop and sell stuff at craft fairs, I also use easyfundraising and I'd like to get a part-time job, but I don't know where to find one any ideas?)💜💜💜💜 (supposed to be purple) dannydorito
  12. set up an Etsy business and be successful (^see above)
  13. get a summer job/part-time job (""
  14. learn new healthy vegetarian/vegan recipes (I'm actually a meat-eater but I want to have a healthier diet and I eat vegan whenever I can (please don't hate on me and I know that vegan doesn't=healthy and vice versa) any suggestions?)
  15. go to London with my friend and have lots of fun (my friend lives near Brighton so we don't see each other lots but this summer I'll have loads of time )
  16. rebegin learning BSL (I was learning it for a bit but then like so many other things, I just sort of stopped)
  17. go to my friend's party and have fun (at least try) (I'm not really a sociable person at all and I have come to not like parties with my group but let's give it one more shot)
  18. train for a 10k I'm going to be doing in October (As part of raising WC funds, I'm going to get sponsered- I've never run this far before)
  19. get GCSE results and be proud (I think I have a really big problem with if I don't do well(or even if I do) and I see other people have done better than me, I somehow don't see my grade as well even if it was good)
  20. catch up with 'Suits' and '13 reasons Why' on Netflix (Oops, bit of a lazy one but it's something I want to do so... (If anyone spoils it I will personally send Inspector Goole to rip you to shreds-don't try me))
  21. not get sunburnt! (might sound strange but I burn quite easily so I'm aiming to avoid that because it hurts!)

21 things to do- not too much, might add more as I go but who knows
Wish me luck, I'll update as I go along and make progress o my summer goals! Good luck to everyone else on completing their bucket lists!
:badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger:
x_captaindank_x
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yours sshould be all about blowing stuff up and disecting bodily organs science nerd
Sciencenerd101
Rep:
?
(Original post by x_captaindank_x)
yours sshould be all about blowing stuff up and disecting bodily organs science nerd
Would love to but I think that might be a little hard 😂
FlintofBavaria
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not science-y my self, but I might take a look at the books, they sound very interesting! Good luck with the rest over summer!
EstelOfTheEyrie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have you considered using Duolingo to help with the Spanish?

Also I'd recommend the UCL and Birmingham university open days
Sciencenerd101
Rep:
?
(Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie)
Have you considered using Duolingo to help with the Spanish?

Also I'd recommend the UCL and Birmingham university open days
Oh yes I was thinking if duolingo!
Danny Dorito
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sciencenerd101)
Hello and welcome to my summer bucket list 2018! I'm quite new to TSR but I really like blogging so I'm planning to keep this updated throughout the summer! :party:

So a little bit about me!
I'm 16 and currently in year 11 meaning that at the moment I'm sitting y GCSEs! :eek4: So far they're going ok but it does mean I probably won't be able to update this much (if at all) until June 21st when I finish my last exam (further maths and German writing) but after that I have 2 and 1/2 months ish of summer! Yay! Previously I've had really unproductive summers new summer new me! (excuse the excessive use of exclamation marks)

Key:
Done
In progress
Not yet started (I know I could use red but that looks a little negative)
My bucket list:
This summer I'm going to:
  1. finish reading 'This is Going to Hurt' by Adam Kay (It's a diary-style book written by someone who used to be a junior doctor and it's both funny and sad all at the same time- highly recommend)
  2. read '12 Rules for Life' by Jordan Peterson (Haven't started this yet and I know that Peterson can be quite controversial but I was gifted it and it looks really good- about how to be happy and stuff )
  3. finish reading 'Bad Science by Ben Goldacre (Started reading this last spring (oops) but stuff got in the way- it's about science (it case you can't guess) but it's also really funny- not too sciencey for those who don't like science)
  4. read 'I Think You'll Find it's a Bit More Complicated Than That' by Ben Goldacre (Whoops this is turning into a bit of a reading list (oh well!) yep this is another book! I was gifted and it looks really good, similar to 'Bad Science' I believe)
  5. read this old GCSE level psychology book I found in the house (Last book I promise! I find psychology really interesting so I can't wait to read it-used a bit of it for y English Language Spoken Endorsement in February)
  6. learn Spanish to a conversational level (Just basic conversation, not full on political debates In 2019 I'm doing a World Challenge to Nicaragua and I don't speak any Spanish so I think this would be useful)
  7. NCS (I've already signed up and paid so I'm defo doing it )
  8. do some work experience in a lab/science place (In case you haven't already worked it out, I love science. I know WEX in a lab probably won't happen but I can dream)
  9. learn to write in shorthand (My mum can do this (in several languages!) and I think it will be really useful for taking down notes quickly e.g. at A-level and uni)
  10. go to at least 1 uni open day (pretty self-explanatory really- perhaps UCL, Imperial, Oxbridge?)
  11. raise lots of money for my world challenge (I'm going to be doing a quiz night to get a few hundred and planning to open an Etsy shop and sell stuff at craft fairs, I also use easyfundraising and I'd like to get a part-time job, but I don't know where to find one any ideas?)
  12. set up an Etsy business and be successful (^see above)
  13. get a summer job/part-time job ("")
  14. learn new healthy vegetarian/vegan recipes (I'm actually a meat-eater but I want to have a healthier diet and I eat vegan whenever I can (please don't hate on me and I know that vegan doesn't=healthy and vice versa) any suggestions?)
  15. go to London with my friend and have lots of fun (my friend lives near Brighton so we don't see each other lots but this summer I'll have loads of time )
  16. rebegin learning BSL (I was learning it for a bit but then like so many other things, I just sort of stopped)
  17. go to my friend's party and have fun (at least try) (I'm not really a sociable person at all and I have come to not like parties with my group but let's give it one more shot)
  18. train for a 10k I'm going to be doing in October (As part of raising WC funds, I'm going to get sponsered- I've never run this far before)
  19. get GCSE results and be proud (I think I have a really big problem with if I don't do well(or even if I do) and I see other people have done better than me, I somehow don't see my grade as well even if it was good)
  20. catch up with 'Suits' and '13 reasons Why' on Netflix (Oops, bit of a lazy one but it's something I want to do so... (If anyone spoils it I will personally send Inspector Goole to rip you to shreds-don't try me))
  21. not get sunburnt! (might sound strange but I burn quite easily so I'm aiming to avoid that because it hurts!)

21 things to do- not too much, might add more as I go but who knows
Wish me luck, I'll update as I go along and make progress o my summer goals! Good luck to everyone else on completing their bucket lists!
:badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger:

Ooooo this bucket list is a gooden! Tasty vegetarian https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...sty+vegetarian is really good for some veggie / vegan recipes and so is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEj...O_OIUaSWRxFZ3A
Selling stuff on Etsy?! That's so cool! What kind of crafts do you make?

Buzzing to read this all!
Rigel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm reading this is going to hurt at the moment! Absolutely love it
baptu2
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
clay dies
baptu2
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
mike dies too
Sciencenerd101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Danny Dorito)
Ooooo this bucket list is a gooden! Tasty vegetarian https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...sty+vegetarian is really good for some veggie / vegan recipes and so is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEj...O_OIUaSWRxFZ3A
Selling stuff on Etsy?! That's so cool! What kind of crafts do you make?

Buzzing to read this all!
Thanks I'll check those out! I make bracelets and baking mixes although having looked at selling costs etc. I'm reconsidering that one
Sciencenerd101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rigel)
I'm reading this is going to hurt at the moment! Absolutely love it
It's great!
Sciencenerd101
Rep:
?
Well you know how I've got GCSEs at the moment so shouldn't be binging Netflix? Whoops, I may have finished all of suits and 13RW...
Oh well at least I've tidied off one from my list!

1 done
20 to go
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sciencenerd101)
Well you know how I've got GCSEs at the moment so shouldn't be binging Netflix? Whoops, I may have finished all of suits and 13RW...
Oh well at least I've tidied off one from my list!

1 done
20 to go
I've been meaning to watch more of suits for ages - did you enjoy the later series?
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Good luck with the labs! have done work experience in labs before and is very interesting :yep: (well the sorting rocks part was less interesting but yeh )
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sciencenerd101, how’s the BSL learning going, have you got very far with it?
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hope your fundraising world challenge goes well!
Sciencenerd101
Rep:
?
(Original post by shadowdweller)
I've been meaning to watch more of suits for ages - did you enjoy the later series?
(Original post by shadowdweller)
Sciencenerd101, how’s the BSL learning going, have you got very far with it?
The later series were good and action packed but idk I sort of felt like most of the series was all one long plot, and the final episode of series 7 I found a little anticlimactic and a bit plotholey but overall it was great! Definitely recommend it!

BSL is going ok, I'm not sure what the best way to learn it is but I'm watching YouTube videos, when I was learning it before I was learning individual signs (I suppose I sort of am a bit now) but it's like learning a language from a dictionary because I know BSL grammar is different and lots of words e.g. articles are dropped to make signing quicker: )
Sciencenerd101
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Good luck with the labs! have done work experience in labs before and is very interesting :yep: (well the sorting rocks part was less interesting but yeh )
Yes I'm really looking forward to it! Hopefully the rock sorting will be kept to a minimum though 😂
Sciencenerd101
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
hope your fundraising world challenge goes well!
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (133)
14.88%
I'm not sure (40)
4.47%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (268)
29.98%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.46%
I'm not a current university student (431)
48.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise