The Student Room Group

Should I learn Arabic or Spanish?!

I like Spanish songs and the sound of Spanish. But I can read Arabic....
Spanish is probably more useful for the future.

What's this for? Just for fun or for a qualifcation
Arabic is really difficult in comparison to Spanish but I would say more useful and a more beautiful sounding language.
Reply 3
Original post by AzureCeleste
Spanish is probably more useful for the future.

What's this for? Just for fun or for a qualifcation

For fun tbh. I want to learn both to be honest... but during Summer I want to learn one or the other.
I will become a Dietitain in the future so any language would be beneficial really as u come across different ppl
Reply 4
Dietician* :tongue:
Go with Arabic. Spanish is overrated :tongue: Or just learn Arabic this summer, work on it for a year and then learn Spanish next summer.
If you aren't already familiar with the Arabic letters, start of with Spanish.
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
Arabic is really difficult in comparison to Spanish but I would say more useful and a more beautiful sounding language.

Huh no.

Spanish is far more beautiful than Arabic.
if u can read it it u would want to finih the job by learning how to speak it
Original post by Sir P.Ennis
Huh no.

It's quite subjective.
Arabic is difficult in my opinion. I've heard it all my life and still have broken Arabic.
Spanish is supposedly very easy, so is more realistic to learn a lot over the Summer.

That being said, I think that, if you were to commit yourself to Arabic, it would be more rewarding, as you can speak with way more people and the culture is more different.

(And yes, Arabic does sound nicer in my opinion (depending on the dialect), not that Spanish isn't nice itself or anything.)
It may actually be feasible to learn them both at once, there's a not insignificant amount of overlapping vocabulary, and the languages are different enough that you would be able to avoid confusing them.
Original post by The_Icy_One
It may actually be feasible to learn them both at once, there's a not insignificant amount of overlapping vocabulary, and the languages are different enough that you would be able to avoid confusing them.

You think so? I am sure it is best to focus on one language at a time tbh

Original post by MilleniumAngel
Arabic is difficult in my opinion. I've heard it all my life and still have broken Arabic.
Spanish is supposedly very easy, so is more realistic to learn a lot over the Summer.

That being said, I think that, if you were to commit yourself to Arabic, it would be more rewarding, as you can speak with way more people and the culture is more different.

(And yes, Arabic does sound nicer in my opinion (depending on the dialect), not that Spanish isn't nice itself or anything.)

Nice!

Original post by x_captaindank_x
if u can read it it u would want to finih the job by learning how to speak it

Yeah I can read it but I do not understand it lol

Original post by Sir P.Ennis
Huh no.

Depends xx

Hmmm

Original post by nyxnko_
Dietician* :tongue:
Go with Arabic. Spanish is overrated :tongue: Or just learn Arabic this summer, work on it for a year and then learn Spanish next summer.

Ahaha it can be spelt both ways but in the UK it is spelt as Dietitian :wink: xx
Hm sounds goood
Original post by Anonymous
You think so? I am sure it is best to focus on one language at a time tbh

It really depends on how much else you plan to do in the timeframe, for example I'm planning to learn Russian and Farsi (Persian language with some similarities to Arabic) over this summer, although I don't expect I'll get past ~GCSE level standard in that time.
learn Arabic as it's really beautiful language
Arabic is less useful to learn than you'd think. The dialects vary so widely from each other and from standard arabic (which is usually only spoken on a daily basis by academics) that many of them are not even mutually intelligible.

From what I've heard and read, English is the language of business in the prosperous Gulf states, and French is the language of business in most of North Africa.
Original post by Anonymous

Ahaha it can be spelt both ways but in the UK it is spelt as Dietitian :wink: xx
Hm sounds goood

:colondollar: didn't know that but now I do :wink:
Good luck with both!! :rave:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending