Gap year in the uk (college)

Watch
melissa.17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey everyone! So to give a bit of background info... I am 17 in my first year at college studying animal care. I love it and I know for certain this is what I want to do when I finish education. I also struggle with severe social anxiety so college has not been the best and my tutors think it would be best if I took a year to do some voluntary work and time to build my confidence as right now college isn't going very well (missing classes, no friends etc).

I'm not exactly sure how gap years work and what there is available in the UK. I've also never known someone to take a break between college years (most of the time I see people take breaks before uni or before college). After my gap year I hope to go back to college and go onto the next level of my course.

Any advice and info about how it works would be greatly appreciated! Also any ideas about what I could do, I was thinking voluntary work on a farm but I'm not sure. Thanks!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by melissa.17)
Hey everyone! So to give a bit of background info... I am 17 in my first year at college studying animal care. I love it and I know for certain this is what I want to do when I finish education. I also struggle with severe social anxiety so college has not been the best and my tutors think it would be best if I took a year to do some voluntary work and time to build my confidence as right now college isn't going very well (missing classes, no friends etc).

I'm not exactly sure how gap years work and what there is available in the UK. I've also never known someone to take a break between college years (most of the time I see people take breaks before uni or before college). After my gap year I hope to go back to college and go onto the next level of my course.

Any advice and info about how it works would be greatly appreciated! Also any ideas about what I could do, I was thinking voluntary work on a farm but I'm not sure. Thanks!
A gap year is good advice as working on you confidence would be very important in personal and professional life.

You could try an apprenticeship.

I assume you have Maths and English GCSE?

be warned though when you return to education you are likely to have to get a loan to finsih your course whereas under 18 is free.

As an example there are courses in animal management as well as vet nursing.

http://www.sheffcol.ac.uk/course/sea...&main_product=

Getting experience is very competitive and dont forget animals arent always fluffy or treated as such.

There might be a city farm or a normal one, animal sanctuary, vets, kennels.

Also be warned that salaries animal careers are low.
melissa.17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
A gap year is good advice as working on you confidence would be very important in personal and professional life.

You could try an apprenticeship.

I assume you have Maths and English GCSE?

be warned though when you return to education you are likely to have to get a loan to finsih your course whereas under 18 is free.

As an example there are courses in animal management as well as vet nursing.

http://www.sheffcol.ac.uk/course/sea...&main_product=

Getting experience is very competitive and dont forget animals arent always fluffy or treated as such.

There might be a city farm or a normal one, animal sanctuary, vets, kennels.

Also be warned that salaries animal careers are low.
Hey thanks for the response. I don't have my gcses yet but these can also be completed online. My college courses are free until 19 so when i go back after my gap year i still will not have to pay

I have some experience already as my college have over 200 animals which we work with daily. I'm looking into volunteering on a farm at the moment or some kennels
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads