Is this a mid life crisis?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm posting this today because I genuinely need some outside opinions on the below issue.

I've been in a loving, caring relationship for the last 4 years - but last week something happened to shake my confidence in my relationship. I saw a woman I don't know & am not acquainted with, but I could not take my eyes off her nor stop thinking about her after she left.

I've found myself behaving like a lovesick teenager over a complete (though attractive) stranger and have since started to feel both disappointed and saddened that I don't feel this way towards my partner of four years. I am now questioning whether I am truly happy within my relationship and whether I will still be happy in years to come if this feeling of excitement and trepidation is something I never experience with a partner again.

I'm in my mid 30's and we don't have children. Is this a mid life crisis? But, more importantly, what in the world do I do?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm posting this today because I genuinely need some outside opinions on the below issue.

I've been in a loving, caring relationship for the last 4 years - but last week something happened to shake my confidence in my relationship. I saw a woman I don't know & am not acquainted with, but I could not take my eyes off her nor stop thinking about her after she left.

I've found myself behaving like a lovesick teenager over a complete (though attractive) stranger and have since started to feel both disappointed and saddened that I don't feel this way towards my partner of four years. I am now questioning whether I am truly happy within my relationship and whether I will still be happy in years to come if this feeling of excitement and trepidation is something I never experience with a partner again.

I'm in my mid 30's and we don't have children. Is this a mid life crisis? But, more importantly, what in the world do I do?

A crisis of some sort. Maybe you need to look at energising your existing relationship? Perhaps you have become bored and complacent? Maybe its run its course? maybe your partner feels the same?
FailedTeacher
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It could be you’re feeling nolstagic towards the days when you could try your luck with said lady but it’s not actually a desire too.

I miss the student days of having so much free time but I wouldn’t actually want to quit my job even if I could. But I do sometimes miss the freedom feeling of not working 40 hour weeks and yes that time has passed but we all like to reminisce and remember old feelings.

999tiger makes very good points you should consider but it’s not necessarily the case.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
Not exactly a crisis lol but you might want to tell your partner about your feelings so they can help you out.

Lust can spout here and there when you see other attractive people but if you remember that you've got a loyal partner waiting for you at home, you learn to block out from viewing these people sexually.

Also, remember that you chose your partner for their mind and compatibility to you. Not based on their looks. This girl you were eyeing up is a total stranger, you don't know her or her life. You can't put a label on people through looks; you like her for the person you've made of her in your head.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (654)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (824)
42.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (380)
19.54%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.47%

Watched Threads