The Student Room Group

Drunk and disorderly UK

Hey,
So I actually have a bit of a hypothetical question.
I’d like to know how you’d get a d and d in the UK.
So for example, if you were going to get a fine/caution would you literally have to wake up at the station the next morning? Or could you be a bit out of order one night (e.g. verbal argument) and then receive a letter saying you’ve been given a drunk and disorderly later?
Thanks for any help- I’d like to know as I’m a big sufferer from OCD which means I often make things up after drinking. I had an argument with a bouncer as he wouldn’t let me back into a club after I’d accidentally left because I’d lost my boyfriend. I’m usually very quiet but know in this instance I’d got upset and asked him a little confrontationally why he was doing that (obviously...it’s his job:/). Possibly tried to walk back in. Anyway a police officer rang my bf and all was good but I was still pissed off with the bouncer but just got in a taxi home...would I have got a d and d or would anything from this situation come back to haunt me ? Or would I have been back to the station or something ? X
Reply 1
Giving a copper a bit of backchat after you've had a pint can be enough. You'd be arrested first and taken to the station, so you are in the clear.
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
Giving a copper a bit of backchat after you've had a pint can be enough. You'd be arrested first and taken to the station, so you are in the clear.

Yes I’m sure and I feel so silly about it now! I do have a tendency to worry about what I’ve done too much though and exaggerate things in my head :frown: I’m pretty certain I was very cooperative with the policeman himself. but basically I definitely know I reacted in a way that I wouldn’t when sober with the bouncers.
Thanks for your reply! So there’s no way I’ll be receiving a letter to attend the station to get a caution or anything? It would have been done there and then?
Either way, no more drinking for me (ever). Worrying about this has shook me up enough !
Yeah you'd wake up in the cells and be charged with either D&D or the catch-all 'Breach of the peace' You'd have been taken there and then. Generally if it's a non violent thing outside a club or pub they'll give someone a few chances to calm down/walk away first.
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
Yeah you'd wake up in the cells and be charged with either D&D or the catch-all 'Breach of the peace' You'd have been taken there and then. Generally if it's a non violent thing outside a club or pub they'll give someone a few chances to calm down/walk away first.

Okay this is good news! I’m such a worrier haha. So no chance of some kind of fine? And if they took my details (can’t remeber) would this show up on an enhanced DBS? Tbh I think I’m worrying about nothing and like I say I’ve previously woken up and made entire situations up. By the sounds of what my bf has said the officer was sound and just seemed interesting in making sure a drunk girl wasn’t left on her own-apparently as soon as my bf came out the police officer left before we even got chance to get into a taxi! This is another reason I think I’m worrying too much! Thank you for your advice
Nah if they're going to fine you it's issued there and then, if you're too drunk to understand being fined they'll stick you in the cells for a few hours till you're sober enough to be fined/charged :P By the sound of it they're just happy yr BF showed up and left you to it.

Doubt it would be recorded for DBS purposes, and even if it was what's it going to say? 'Argued with bouncer, went home' not exactly scandal, arguing is what bouncers are FOR.

(I think the only way it could comeback to bite you is if someone wanted to actually press charges against you, such as the club for damage or verbal abuse or something, but no, they're not going to do that over a bit of drunk lip, that's for folk that smash the place up and fights and such)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Nah if they're going to fine you it's issued there and then, if you're too drunk to understand being fined they'll stick you in the cells for a few hours till you're sober enough to be fined/charged :P By the sound of it they're just happy yr BF showed up and left you to it.

Doubt it would be recorded for DBS purposes, and even if it was what's it going to say? 'Argued with bouncer, went home' not exactly scandal, arguing is what bouncers are FOR.

(I think the only way it could comeback to bite you is if someone wanted to actually press charges against you, such as the club for damage or verbal abuse or something, but no, they're not going to do that over a bit of drunk lip, that's for folk that smash the place up and fights and such)

Thank you so much for this! You’ve been a massive help to me! The only thing I can think of is that when they said no to going in I may have tried to get back in to ask the lady on the desk - I’m worried I could have ran or something like that. However I’m not sure the officer was even there at that point (don’t think so) plus as I’ve said, I really do often make things up. After the policeman left my bf said I kept asking the bouncers why they’d do that not letting me in and just being a little bit drunk annoying (oops) but apparently they were sound just saying ‘we’re not letting anyone in love it’s too late’ and weren’t too bothered by me as if they’d been no scene or anything (like they didn’t really know who I was). So anyway lesson = learnt haha. OCD + so much drink = NEVER good, even when I think I was in control 😂 i suppose that’s what happens when youre stressed cos uni exams 😂 I just want to thank you so much again I can finally eat and stop worrying- btw do you know if I applied for one of those information request things if I’d see whether that extra info was recorded?
Nah you'll be fine, I doubt the club will even be too bothered and a quick apology to the bouncer when will probably just get it laughed off, 'drunk and lost my partner/friends who are inside' is a pretty common one.

Dunno how you go about it but yeah you CAN ask what info the police hold on you, either ask at a station or look online and there will likely be a fee involved...but I REALLY wouldn't bother, it's massively unlikely to have been recorded, stuff like cautions and investigations is, but not 'asked to move on/go home'
Reply 8
Nah you'll be fine, I doubt the club will even be too bothered and a quick apology to the bouncer when will probably just get it laughed off, 'drunk and lost my partner/friends who are inside' is a pretty common one.

Dunno how you go about it but yeah you CAN ask what info the police hold on you, either ask at a station or look online and there will likely be a fee involved...but I REALLY wouldn't bother, it's massively unlikely to have been recorded, stuff like cautions and investigations is, but not 'asked to move on/go home'

Fab! When you say too drunk to understand a fine- what does this mean? I was very drunk but was able to talk reasonably normally etc I don’t remember though. Would I have gotten some kind of paper?
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Yes I’m sure and I feel so silly about it now! I do have a tendency to worry about what I’ve done too much though and exaggerate things in my head :frown: I’m pretty certain I was very cooperative with the policeman himself. but basically I definitely know I reacted in a way that I wouldn’t when sober with the bouncers.
Thanks for your reply! So there’s no way I’ll be receiving a letter to attend the station to get a caution or anything? It would have been done there and then?
Either way, no more drinking for me (ever). Worrying about this has shook me up enough !

Very, very unlikely. You'd be nicked there and then (I have been nicked for it before).
Yeah you'd know about it, certainly your boyfriend would, like if you were being fined you would have been detained while they took details and such, likely in the car and if you're drunk and disorderly enough to be fined for it then they generally decide you're also too drunk to make your own way home so it's a night in the cells. By the sound of it you're fine, they've taken an interest, calmed things down and moved on, job done, no crimes committed, nothing to worry about.
Yeah you'd know about it, certainly your boyfriend would, like if you were being fined you would have been detained while they took details and such, likely in the car and if you're drunk and disorderly enough to be fined for it then they generally decide you're also too drunk to make your own way home so it's a night in the cells. By the sound of it you're fine, they've taken an interest, calmed things down and moved on, job done, no crimes committed, nothing to worry about.

I feel like a massive weights been listed! Thanks !
Original post by gjd800
Very, very unlikely. You'd be nicked there and then (I have been nicked for it before).
oh no! Hope all is okay! Thanks for your advice

Quick Reply