The Student Room Group

Have I failed GCSE Geog or can I still boost my grade? HELP!

Today was the AQAGeography exam and leading upto it id thrown up twice and was in so much pain and I couldnt stand straight and was sweating so bad I felt like I was in an oven. I did the exam in a separate room and was constantly in and out throwing up. I barely answered any questions as reading the questions or putting pen to paper caused me to feel nauseous. I feel like I probably got a grade 3/4 on that paper yet in my mocks I would get between grades 6-8. My teacher said not to worry about it as I have to more geog exams. Do you think I still have a chance to get a grade 6/7 if I can achieve higher on those two exams (I know ill have to work my arse off) or have my chances been ruined?
Has this happened to anyone before?
Original post by -zay-xo
Today was the AQAGeography exam and leading upto it id thrown up twice and was in so much pain and I couldnt stand straight and was sweating so bad I felt like I was in an oven. I did the exam in a separate room and was constantly in and out throwing up. I barely answered any questions as reading the questions or putting pen to paper caused me to feel nauseous. I feel like I probably got a grade 3/4 on that paper yet in my mocks I would get between grades 6-8. My teacher said not to worry about it as I have to more geog exams. Do you think I still have a chance to get a grade 6/7 if I can achieve higher on those two exams (I know ill have to work my arse off) or have my chances been ruined?

Most Definitely, hey don’t worry you got this, I believe in you,
My target grade is a 4/5. Iam not the brightest student ever however I think I did worse than that. I honestly think the questions were quite difficult and unfair compared to the June 2017 exam. June 2017 exam was perfect and this one was ****. Don’t worry man and good luck with ur other 2 u will be fine and hopefully I will be!
how can the examiners even let you sit the paper if your vomiting and having a fever during it?? this is either a lie and you just flopped or you have the meanest examiners.....
Original post by -zay-xo

How can they make you still sit the exam, the least they could do is do it later in the day when you're feeling a bit better if they can't do it another time.
That's not fair it all, and that should count as a mitigating circumstance in terms of your result.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ErwinRommel
how can the examiners even let you sit the paper if your vomiting and having a fever during it?? this is either a lie and you just flopped or you have the meanest examiners.....

Unfortunately its not a lie and my school are just really uptight...so im now having to rely on my next two papers. The staff member who is in charge of the exams said its always been this way and that the most the person marking my exam paper can do is bump my grade up by 1% because of the circumstances..bit of a joke if you ask me
Original post by -zay-xo
Unfortunately its not a lie and my school are just really uptight...so im now having to rely on my next two papers. The staff member who is in charge of the exams said its always been this way and that the most the person marking my exam paper can do is bump my grade up by 1% because of the circumstances..bit of a joke if you ask me

Our school is the same, the head told us that unless we are in hospital having an operation then we are expected to take the exam
Original post by Kakemono
Our school is the same, the head told us that unless we are in hospital having an operation then we are expected to take the exam

Most schools say the same, it's more to do with the exam board than the school then.
http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/special-consideration

I think the link shows the current position but you can check. Speak to your Exams officer about applying for special consideration (a small percentage can be added). Presumably the school will support you if you were throwing up and had to be isolated. You should have a bit of time to do this so don't let it stop you revising for the other exams. The advantage of having 3 papers is that if you don't do so well on one you have two others to make up the marks on. Forget about paper 1 for now and ace papers 2 & 3!!!!
If you want to practice more questions for the next Geography exam, I suggest https://app.senecalearning.com/classroom/course/5a073d30-21f8-11e8-8c19-619061cc7240/section/7014fdb0-21f8-11e8-8c19-619061cc7240

Were you that ill because of something you ate or were you just really anxious because of the exams? If the latter, the nhs has a page only to help with that https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/coping-with-exam-stress/
Reply 10
Original post by LarissaAlves
If you want to practice more questions for the next Geography exam, I suggest https://app.senecalearning.com/classroom/course/5a073d30-21f8-11e8-8c19-619061cc7240/section/7014fdb0-21f8-11e8-8c19-619061cc7240

Were you that ill because of something you ate or were you just really anxious because of the exams? If the latter, the nhs has a page only to help with that https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/coping-with-exam-stress/

Cheers! And yes it was because of stress as I have an ibs related condition that is involves stomach spasms to be triggered by the slightest amount of stress and anxiety.
I did two exam on the Friday the week before half term and felt so ill. I had to be consistently be taken out of the first one and then threw up after and then in the second paper I could hardly write anything and then threw up violently in the exam room. I know how you feel I could hardly write anything either I was panicking and sweating so bad the whole exam. It’s a real shame as I know that was my best exam and I failed it because I was ill.

Quick Reply

Latest