The Student Room Group

My journey to a TC what else should I do?

Hi lovely people of TSR.

I am a pg student from Nottingham Uni, I received a 2:1in Philosophy. I have two work experience placements, looking to add potentially more with a one-week internship lined up in legal analysis with ALM. I have done a few pro-bono projects, legal advice clinic, social justice case writing and PSU.

I am doing the GDL part-time, I had intended to find part-time work alongside but this hasn't been possible in Birmingham. What else can I do to improve my future chances of a TC? Vac schemes? More work experience?
Original post by dissentingview
Hi lovely people of TSR.

I am a pg student from Nottingham Uni, I received a 2:1in Philosophy. I have two work experience placements, looking to add potentially more with a one-week internship lined up in legal analysis with ALM. I have done a few pro-bono projects, legal advice clinic, social justice case writing and PSU.

I am doing the GDL part-time, I had intended to find part-time work alongside but this hasn't been possible in Birmingham. What else can I do to improve my future chances of a TC? Vac schemes? More work experience?

Try and get more in the sort of form you want to apply to.
Or they like it if you get business experience in the sort of businesses they have as clients.

You are getting to a stage where you ought to be applying now anyway so they pick up the tab for GDL.

JSP will tell you more if they are around.
JSP?

As in applying for TC's? I think I stand relatively little chance of getting one currently.

Even paralegal roles want the LPC.
My GCSE's are diabolical, A-levels average (AAB). I think to stand a realistic chance I need a vacation scheme/possibly several or significant paralegalling?

Thank-you for your response.
Original post by J-SP
Very few firms will care about your GCSEs.

You A-levels are above average and meet most firms criteria where they do have them.

I’d work more on your self-belief than anything else - that will be what will hold you back more than anything.

Are Vac schemes not integral then?

I spoke to a solicitor today and he mentioned with the super exam coming in that by 2020, the need for an LPC may be done away with completely? Do you by chance know anything about this?
To be honest J-SP, the reason I probably appear unconfident is the fact I have a disability and despite firms well-meaning pronouncements, it often feels like a tick in the no box. Few firms are able to accommodate more flexible working hours.
Thanks for the feedback, I will definitely take this advice on board.

I don't know if you get paid for this (I assume not) but you really should! So helpful!
Some of those look useful, a few of them I have seen.

Would absolutely love a LA or paralegal position whilst I finish my GDL, I will keep looking and apply to as many vac schemes as I can!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending