Help interpreting a mechanics question Watch

ad absurdum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Suppose that a particle is projected from sea level on the Earth at latitude \lambda in the Northern hemisphere, at an angle \pi / 4 from the upward vertical and in a Northward direction. Show that when the particle returns to sea level (neglecting the curvature of the Earth's surface), is has been deflected to the East by an amount approximately equal to

\frac{\sqrt{2}\omega |{\bf v}|^3}{3g^2}(3\sin\lambda - \cos\lambda).

I can't really make sense of this, specifically what the "upward vertical" is, and how the particle being projected in a northward direction makes sense if we neglect the curvature of the Earth. I think I know what to do once I have the right components for the vectors.

I've attached what my attempt at a diagram, but I don't think it's right.

Edit - My vectors were g = (0,0,-g), omega = (0, omega cos lambda, omega sin lambda), r_0 = (0, 0, R). Wasn't sure about v, I thought it would just be (0,v,0) but I wasn't getting anywhere with this, and I seemed to be not using this pi/4 anywhere.
Attached files
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Upward vertical is going to be perpendicular to the earth's surface - so it's your e3 vector.
ad absurdum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
That worked. Cheers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.68%
No (520)
72.32%

Watched Threads