Turn on thread page Beta

Best martial art / Self defence? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    After my exams i plan to start up some form of martial arts again... when i was younger I done a form of Karate (kokoro? or something like that, was a long time ago) It was enjoyable, kept me fit and I was pretty good at it. However a strong majority of what i learned in there was only useful for the gradings and competitions and personally i felt it wouldn't do me much good in a fight unless i was somewhere high up in the black belt region.

So what forms of martial arts and/or self defence to you do? Would you recommend any? Id like something that i could compete in competitons as well as being useful should i ever need to defend myself.

ps, as fun as Mixed martial arts looks i don't want to do cage fighting.

ReputationRep:
    If you want a self defence style, Krav Maga is pretty useful. Really though the best defence is not getting into fights in the first place.

Edit: And for decent martial arts discussion that isn't full of "My aikido can kick your ninjutsu's ass!" try checking out the forums over at Bullshido.com

ReputationRep:
    For self defence on the street, I recommend seeing Steven Seagal's films.

ReputationRep:
    I do kick boxing and I love it. It's easy to get into and pretty easy to understand it quickly too I'd deffo recommend it, it's a great form of self defence too, especially for girls.

ReputationRep:
    A fluid mixture of styles. Or something like that used in the Bourne Identity, which is actually the same sort of style used by Mossad, and is technically a form of Tai-Jitsu (Ninjitsu) Which does not use prefered styles but fluid practices that suit the protagonist. However that said using Tai-Jitsu properly will likely result in breaking of limbs, or grievous injury or even death to the people involved. Since it is a method of fighting meant to disable the combatant with the least fuss and as quickly as possible, by literally any means.

Here's a sort of Styalised demo of the techniques you might learn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL_BkG9hyEo

This is a slightly different form and as you can see if the moves are carried through they would result in broken limbs or blinding the opponent or even death, it would probably suit close fighting, or street fighting though.

Most forms are not used in competition though because the aim is to maim, disable or kill the person attacking you by using any means or weapons the person has, or are around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferret_messiah)
    If you want a self defence style, Krav Maga is pretty useful. Really though the best defence is not getting into fights in the first place.

Edit: And for decent martial arts discussion that isn't full of "My aikido can kick your ninjutsu's ass!" try checking out the forums over at Bullshido.com
    Krav Maga, thats the one where its basically neutralise any hostiles? I books on that before, it looks interesting. Dont think theyre are many classes for it in glasgow however

ReputationRep:
    My best self defence...I usually glare at them and they go away. If that doesn't deter them, my 13" hunting knife usually does the trick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gary10k)
    Krav Maga, thats the one where its basically neutralise any hostiles? I books on that before, it looks interesting. Dont think theyre are many classes for it in glasgow however
    Hahaha.

Boxing and Judo.

/End thread.

ReputationRep:
    Krav Maga is an Israeli style of self defence, I bought a book on it which was quite good, I haven't practiced self defence as I'm snowed under with uni work at the minute but it's something I'm interested in taking up in the future. I looked for Krav Maga training in England online and could only find places in London which delivered it.

ReputationRep:
    by the way, speaking of books, Geoff Thompson has a good range of books on various aspects of self defence, the best I've read on the subject alltogether is 'Dead or Alive' I think it was 20 quid from Amazon. It isn't so much to do with self defence techniques, more to do with how to control your adrenalin and be aware of your surroundings and make yourself less of a target e.t.c. it's a really good read and has some sound advice. Obviously nothing can be a substitute for actually taking up a form of self defence practically and that is something which has been emphasised in all of the books that I have read on the topic.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Judo.
    It's a sport, so you can compete...and there's plenty of competitions around.
    For fitness it's arguably the best sport. period. It works everything, in fact i think the only sport that matches it is boxing.
    Lyceum has the right idea, with Judo and Boxing combined. That way you can strike well from a distance and cripple them when they're close, it covers all areas and will keep you fit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arteta)
    I'd say Judo.
    It's a sport, so you can compete...and there's plenty of competitions around.
    For fitness it's arguably the best sport. period. It works everything, in fact i think the only sport that matches it is boxing.
    Lyceum has the right idea, with Judo and Boxing combined. That way you can strike well from a distance and cripple them when they're close, it covers all areas and will keep you fit.
    Yep! and you presumably have enough control in most situations to avoid the ground, via clinch work. Plus you have a few ne waza moves just in case.

It boosts fitness and definately compliments Boxing. Best of all? IT'S SO RIDICULOUSLY CHEAP, SERIOUSLY. XD

Stuff like KM sucks, it's been proven oh Physics so many times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Lyceum)

Stuff like KM sucks, it's been proven oh Physics so many times.
    If Krav Maga is how jason bourne and jack bauer fight then i'll happily take that up

ReputationRep:
    If Krav Maga is how jason bourne and jack bauer fight then i'll happily take that up
    Stunt fighting you mean? looks sucky and lols where fully resisting opponents are concerned.

ReputationRep:
    Stunt fighting you mean? looks sucky and lols where fully resisting opponents are concerned.
    Well does judo teach you use your belt to disarm a man then break his neck with your legs or to roll up a newpaper and then beat a man sensless before using it to blow up his house (see 24 and the bourne movies)

But seriously, i was watching a video of a judo competition it looks pretty awsome. lots of close grappeling etc, pretty intense

ReputationRep:
    Yeah in real life it doesn't go like that, any combat would probably last a few seconds, or not much longer than a few minutes. But the techniques are at least pretty much a style of Tai-Jitsu, or the Israeli version Krav maga. Which is of course Jew-Jitsu .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-6JS...eature=related

This is nihon Tai jitsu, I think you can see why it's not used in competition. This is a free form style, that enables you to use any techniques that suit your style. And has no over arching dogma, if it works use it.

ReputationRep:
    Tae Kwon Do or Kickboxing. But I'm biased. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sidhe)
    Yeah in real life it doesn't go like that, any combat would probably last a few seconds, or not much longer than a few minutes. But the techniques are at least pretty much a style of Tai-Jitsu, or the Israeli version Krav maga. Which is of course Jew-Jitsu .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-6JS...eature=related

This is nihon Tai jitsu, I think you can see why it's not used in competition. This is a free form style, that enables you to use any techniques that suit your style. And has no over arching dogma, if it works use it.
    THAT JOKE NEVER GETS OLD. XD That video sucks though, the attacker and defender move in different times (sorry fencing terminology) and the aggresors opening is unrealistic.

I'd personally open with Jab/Cross or Elbows depending on distance. Most Taijutsu/Ninjutsu guys I've seen uber suck.

There's a place near my school that offers it, cheap though it is, it's eurgh. You're better off with BJJ or Judo for grappling, proven to work in so many situations, realistic syllabus and consistancy etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    The best form of self defence is a class specially geared towards that. Most martial arts classes are essentially that; i.e. arts, and the techniques are more generally likely to focus on gradings and competitions. Getting stronger, heavier and fitter is also something that is likely to improve your ability to defend yourself.

In general any complicated kicks or restraints are going to be pretty useless. One of the most important things is overview and strategy backed up by simple moves e.g. punches, elbows, knees. Someone mentioned Geoff Thompson, his stuff mentions quite a lot of that aspect e.g. use of a 'fence', hitting first. Incidentally, his autobiography "Watch My Back" is a very good read.

ReputationRep:
    THAT JOKE NEVER GETS OLD. XD That video sucks though, the attacker and defender move in different times (sorry fencing terminology) and the aggresors opening is unrealistic.

I'd personally open with Jab/Cross or Elbows depending on distance. Most Taijutsu/Ninjutsu guys I've seen uber suck.

There's a place near my school that offers it, cheap though it is, it's eurgh. You're better off with BJJ or Judo for grappling, proven to work in so many situations, realistic syllabus and consistancy etc etc.
    Well unless you can find a proper master to teach you. But since it's style free, in theory its little different from Krav Maga.

Of course that was just a set up version to demonstrate techniques, not meant to be the real deal, like I say, the real deal is not fighting it tends to be Katas or demonstrations, because it's too dangerous, and too limiting to the style to compete with it.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.