M1: Dynamics help! Watch

chardabest
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
A particle A of mass 5kg rests on a rough plane inclined at an angle of 30degrees to the horizontal. a string attached to A lies along a line of the greatest slope of the plane and passes over a smooth pulley at the top of the plane. A particle B of mass 6kg hangs vertically from the string 1m above the horizontal plane. the system is released from rest with a string taut. If B takes 2s to reach the horizontal plane, find the coefficient of the friction between A and the inclined plane.

i used suvat to find the acceleration which i got to be 0.5, then considered particle A and B and found the tension to equal 55.8 and the Friction to equal 28.8.

but when i come to but it into F=mR than its wrong! anyone see what i've done wrong? the answer is 0.679 (3sf)

generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by chardabest)
A particle A of mass 5kg rests on a rough plane inclined at an angle of 30degrees to the horizontal. a string attached to A lies along a line of the greatest slope of the plane and passes over a smooth pulley at the top of the plane. A particle B of mass 6kg hangs vertically from the string 1m above the horizontal plane. the system is released from rest with a string taut. If B takes 2s to reach the horizontal plane, find the coefficient of the friction between A and the inclined plane.

i used suvat to find the acceleration which i got to be 0.5, then considered particle A and B and found the tension to equal 55.8 and the Friction to equal 28.8.

but when i come to but it into F=mR than its wrong! anyone see what i've done wrong? the answer is 0.679 (3sf)

I get 0.679. You've almost certainly just worked out R wrongly, because I get 28.8 for the friction too.
chardabest
Rep:
?
i resolved perpendicularly n got r-5gsin30=0.....
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by chardabest)
i resolved perpendicularly n got r-5gsin30=0.....
Isn't that what you got for the component of the weight down the plane?

Try cos, not sin.
chardabest
Rep:
?
omg...im sooooo stupid! what the bob did i use sin for! lolol thanks!!! ill try tht!
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Happens to us all.
chardabest
Rep:
?
lol and what happened when i used cos...the right answer came up! thanks a lot....!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (57)
19.39%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (119)
40.48%
Nope, not that interesting (118)
40.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise