The Student Room Group

Disabilities and exams and assessment

This policy from Oxford university might be of interest as if suggests how much you can expect if you are disabled.
https://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/edc/policiesandguidance/pgexaminers/annex
For exsample it says this
"4. Reasonable adjustments are central to the concept of disability equality. Where a disabled student suffers or would suffer a substantial disadvantage, the University is under a duty to make reasonable adjustments to overcome that disadvantage. The intention is that the adjustments should ‘level the playing field’ for the disabled student. It is important that adjustments meet the needs of the individual disabled student rather than providing a generic response to a class or type of disability. Once implemented, adjustments do not provide automatic precedents for other students, but may be taken into account when considering what would be appropriate in a different case. The duty is anticipatory which means that the University should not wait until it is asked to consider what adjustments might be made, but should be ready where feasible with solutions to overcome disadvantages. The failure to make reasonable adjustments cannot be legally justified and if an adjustment is deemed to be reasonable then it must be made."
Original post by Petetyerman
This policy from Oxford university might be of interest as if suggests how much you can expect if you are disabled.
https://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/edc/policiesandguidance/pgexaminers/annex
For exsample it says this
"4. Reasonable adjustments are central to the concept of disability equality. Where a disabled student suffers or would suffer a substantial disadvantage, the University is under a duty to make reasonable adjustments to overcome that disadvantage. The intention is that the adjustments should ‘level the playing field’ for the disabled student. It is important that adjustments meet the needs of the individual disabled student rather than providing a generic response to a class or type of disability. Once implemented, adjustments do not provide automatic precedents for other students, but may be taken into account when considering what would be appropriate in a different case. The duty is anticipatory which means that the University should not wait until it is asked to consider what adjustments might be made, but should be ready where feasible with solutions to overcome disadvantages. The failure to make reasonable adjustments cannot be legally justified and if an adjustment is deemed to be reasonable then it must be made."
Yes. All universities I know follow the exact same principles pretty much. The same is true for the education system.
Reply 2
Unfortunately not my experience all the policies I have seen suggest student must request extensions etc and am currently involved with a problem with a course that failed implement adjustments agreed with university acaedaemic support team until a complaint was made.
Original post by Petetyerman
Unfortunately not my experience all the policies I have seen suggest student must request extensions etc and am currently involved with a problem with a course that failed implement adjustments agreed with university acaedaemic support team until a complaint was made.
That's true to an extent in that you are allowed to not disclose your disability and/or conditions to the university if you don't wish to. This rule occurs right the way back to when you first submit your UCAS application.

However, if the university is aware of your needs and fails to provide them, that's just poor practice, not poor policy.:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest