Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wais)
    "a guy there last year sold his research project (masters) for £280m!"

Where the fk did you get this? Sounds like complete bull**** to me mate
    from the school of ECS undergrad prospectus for 2008 i had. "in may 2007,ECS graduate richard jones achieved spectacular success. as one of the three founders of last.fm he recieved £38m when the company was bought by CBS, the US television network."its a long article that follows but he designed the program that was last.fm's success. and it was infact his third year computer science project. look him up to find out more.

ReputationRep:
    ok here it is:

http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/about/news/1317

ReputationRep:
    First of all, its $38million, not £38million, there is a difference!

Also, how does $38 million become £280million that you quoted before, its more like £19 million or so.

Last.fm is impressive, but not that much. It was more of a good business model than being technically advanced.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=wais]First of all, its $38million, not £38million, there is a difference!

Also, how does $38 million become £280million that you quoted before, its more like £19 million or so.

Last.fm is impressive, but not that much. It was more of a good business model than being technically advanced.[/QUOTE]

dude grow the **** up. i was quoting from memory and so i didnt remember that it was dollars or that the 280 wasnt all his but i really dont think it makes much of a diff!how many 3rd year projects do you know that sell for £19 million. technically advanced? do you have any idea how business works? it doesnt make a **** of difference whether a product is "technically advanced". infact the simpler the better. he solved a problem in a new and inovative fashion. thats what made him rich, infact thats what makes every good entrepreneur rich. advanced tech doesnt come into it. finally if selling your 3RD YEAR project for £19 mill doesnt impress you that much then i expect great things from you!

ReputationRep:
    Calm down.

From your previous post, when you first mentioned the guy, in the same sentence you were goin on about how technically good soton ECS is, as if to say that the guy has come up with some amazing technology that going to soton has played a major part in, as they gave him some skill that other universities wouldnt.

So yes, Soton VS Imperial is a very obvious choice.

ReputationRep:
    Last.fm is good! I do know of two groups of students at Imperial who are currently setting up companies with similar goals as Last.fm (not the same goal, but still related to music and what users listen to etc).

Imperial Entrepreneurs society does well -- I went to a couple of their talks, the most recent one (that I went to) had a talk from Paul Graham from Y-Combinator.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xaxa)
    Last.fm is good! I do know of two groups of students at Imperial who are currently setting up companies with similar goals as Last.fm (not the same goal, but still related to music and what users listen to etc).

Imperial Entrepreneurs society does well -- I went to a couple of their talks, the most recent one (that I went to) had a talk from Paul Graham from Y-Combinator.
    i completely agree. Imperial is 100% the place to be business wise as its the most successful in producing spin offs and startups by a mile. i mean it has Imperial Innovations listed on the AIM lol (its imperials very own venture capital arm for investing in imperial born startups, highly successful) and what other uni (other than stanford and MIT) is so successful in producing great startups that it needs to build the incubator, a facility providing labs, offices and storage space (plus the rest of the incredible support tanaka provides in financial services) to upto 15 companies at a time. i chose Imperial but im just trying to make it clear that Southampton is probably second only to Imperial and cambridge for EEE and CS.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what it is like in soton
    but in my dept in IC, -->sucks!! annoying middle-eastern students, dirty JCR, high price but low service

ReputationRep:
    Which dept?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazf)
    I don't know what it is like in soton
    but in my dept in IC, -->sucks!! annoying middle-eastern students, dirty JCR, high price but low service
    Here's what I don't get: supposedly only 1/3 of the students at Imperial are from outside Europe (i.e. they are from Asia). That is a very high proportion fair enough, but where is everyone else?

This is in regard to the above quote but also to what people seem to be saying when visiting Imperial "everyone was Chinese" or "where are all the English people" - these are direct quote I might add.

Are the Non-UK/EU students the only ones attending lessons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master Polhem)
    Here's what I don't get: supposedly only 1/3 of the students at Imperial are from outside Europe (i.e. they are from Asia). That is a very high proportion fair enough, but where is everyone else?

This is in regard to the above quote but also to what people seem to be saying when visiting Imperial "everyone was Chinese" or "where are all the English people" - these are direct quote I might add.

Are the Non-UK/EU students the only ones attending lessons?
    i think its 40% now lol. i it wont bother me, i have 4 chineese friends and a few filipino, malasian etc in college. basicaly im friends with all the ethnics in my year lol simply because id never met anyone from x country and was very interested. iv learnt so much from them and enjoy their company alot more than most of my other friends because these students are obv damn good to be coming here or parents wouldnt pay and they are generally more eager to do things and experience things in the uk than brits. only probem is when they start talking in their language to each other lol, that really gets me and the fact that they stay in their little niches. i know i will be making a big effort to get to know everyone i can when im there and if everyone did that (not just the brits) then the niches wouldnt exist.

ReputationRep:
    Just wait to get here before comming to such conclusions

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 22, 2008
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.