The Student Room Group

The Mail: Maghan to run for US president

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CTLeafez
There's a clause in the constitution of the US which states you can't be elected President while/if ever held a position of Royalty/Upper class title in another country. e.g. Markle is now the Duchess of Sussex so is disqualified from running.

No there isn't.

The United States is precluded from creating noble titles and Federal Officials are prohibited from accepting foreign honours without Congressional approval whilst in office.

An Honorary Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire ran for the Republican Presidential nomination in 2008
Original post by The Champion.m4a
computer says no

Are them there computers looking to take over our world? :smile:
Original post by JAMIEJAY2018
Are them there computers looking to take over our world? :smile:

Stephen Hawking said yes
Original post by nulli tertius
No there isn't.

The United States is precluded from creating noble titles and Federal Officials are prohibited from accepting foreign honours without Congressional approval whilst in office.

An Honorary Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire ran for the Republican Presidential nomination in 2008

Can you confirm if Her Royal Highness is considered to be holding any royal or nobility title herself?
Reply 24
lol would be amazing if she tried though

she'll likely never get very far but it would be funny to see how riled up people get by it
This feminist, liberal spoiled bratty ***** can go and **** herself. I know she joined the Royal Family just because of its prestige and to help her further push her feminist agenda. And may I remind her that as a Royal she is not allowed to be involved in politics so how will she become president of the USA anyway? She simply wants all these titles for more prestige and for more opportunities to become an already spoiled brat to the next level. I can 100% guarantee none is going to vote for this ***** since she WILL be a terrible president.
Maghan??
Stephen Hawking said yes

When did the Prof say that?

(Sadly he's dead)
Can you confirm if Her Royal Highness is considered to be holding any royal or nobility title herself?

Yes. She holds both a royal title and noble titles in her own right.

To illustrate:-

Her Royal Highness Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester. Between 1974 and her death in 2004 she was the widow of the then Duke of Gloucester.

If the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have a son who marries and the Duke then dies, her title will be Her Royal Highness Princess Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.

If the Duke of York marries a different woman, his former wife will remain Sarah, Duchess of York (she unlike the Princess of Wales was stripped of her HRH title on divorce).

I will not click on links for security reasons....

However, if you would like to post a written message then please feel free to do so. :smile:
I will not click on links for security reasons....

However, if you would like to post a written message then please feel free to do so. :smile:

You can just take my word for it, then.
You can just take my word for it, then.

Okay then, if you're sure. :smile:
Yes. She holds both a royal title and noble titles in her own right.

To illustrate:-

Her Royal Highness Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester. Between 1974 and her death in 2004 she was the widow of the then Duke of Gloucester.

If the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have a son who marries and the Duke then dies, her title will be Her Royal Highness Princess Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.

If the Duke of York marries a different woman, his former wife will remain Sarah, Duchess of York (she unlike the Princess of Wales was stripped of her HRH title on divorce).

Diana, Princess of Wales was also stripped of her HRH style on divorce.

But for both of them, they managed to be called "Duchess of York" and "Princess of Wales" still only as a courtesy. It's similar to how Obama, Clinton, the Bushes, and Carter all still enjoy the title "President" even though they have left office. On top of that, if the Duke of Sussex is somehow stripped of his title, the Duchess would also automatically lose hers, without getting hers stripped off as well. Furthermore, despite the duchy of Sussex being a heredity duchy, the Duchess herself could not pass her title on to her child, if the child was not the Duke's.

So taking all of these into account, is she really having the titles "in her own right"? I did see Wikipedia saying even though the wife is not a peer herself, the courtesy title remains a "legal title" (unsourced).

But for both of them, they managed to be called "Duchess of York" and "Princess of Wales" still only as a courtesy. It's similar to how Obama, Clinton, the Bushes, and Carter all still enjoy the title "President" even though they have left office. On top of that, if the Duke of Sussex is somehow stripped of his title, the Duchess would also automatically lose hers, without getting hers stripped off as well. Furthermore, despite the duchy of Sussex being a heredity duchy, the Duchess herself could not pass her title on to her child, if the child was not the Duke's.

So taking all of these into account, is she really having the titles "in her own right"? I did see Wikipedia saying even though the wife is not a peer herself, the courtesy title remains a "legal title" (unsourced).

It is what it is.

Despite the fact that taxpayers paid for most of the 'wedding' costs, we just have to accept it.

It is what it is (was). :smile:

Yes you are right.

The title of a wife of a peer isn't quite a courtesy title in the way that the child of a peer's title is. For example, a peer's wife had until 1948 the right of trial by the House of Lords (e.g. the Countess of Bristol, bigamously Duchess of Kingston).

Whilst you are right that stripping a peer of his title, strips his wife of it, a peer cannot prevent his ex-wife from using it (this was litigated about 100 years ago). Moreover, whilst the attainder of a peerage deprives the peer and his wife of the title I am not convinced that it deprives his mother e.g. the widow of the previous holder, of it. Was Princess Helena accorded the title Dowager Duchess of Albany after her son had been deprived of the title?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Helena_of_Waldeck_and_Pyrmont

Update Earl Cowley v Countess Cowley

per Lord Macnaughten:-

"It was conceded, and I suppose rightly conceded, that there was nothing in her position as the divorced
wife of Earl Cowley to deprive her either of the title or the privileges which she had acquired as his wife. Then she married a commoner, and thereupon she lost her right to the title of Countess and the privileges of peerage"

per Lord Lindley:-

"When in 1895 her husband became Earl Cowley she acquired an estate for life in his dignity. That has
been the law ever since Coke's time, and it is not, I believe, disputed. Her life estate was not determinable on the death of her
husband, but was determinable on a second marriage with a commoner. So long as her life estate in the Earldom was undertermined she was entitled to the honour and dignity of a peeress and to the name attached to it. In 1897 the Countess Cowley obtained a divorce from her husband; but, although the divorce dissolved her marriage, it did not determine her life estate in the peerage which she had acquired. There is no principle of common law, nor is there anything in the Divorce Act, which produces any such result. The case of Fendall v. Goldsmid goes far to shew that so far as name is concerned the Countess was entitled to continue after the divorce to use the name and style which she had previously acquired the right to use. In July, 1898, however, Lady Cowley married a commoner, and it seems clear that, although she did not lose the position to which whe was entitled by birth, her life estate in the dignity which she had acquired by marriage ceased. All the authorities are clear upon that point."

Some authorities suggest that Diana and Fergie legally retain the title HRH but that seems to be a misunderstanding of the Cowley case. A peerage is treated as being a piece of property but the title HRH is held at the discretion of the sovereign. The 2nd Duke of Connaught lost his HRH in 1917 simply because of a change in policy.
(edited 5 years ago)
It is what it is.

Despite the fact that taxpayers paid for most of the 'wedding' costs, we just have to accept it.

It is what it is (was). :smile:

We need to be grateful that Her Majesty The Queen has allowed us to live in her country.
Yes you are right.

The title of a wife of a peer isn't quite a courtesy title in the way that the child of a peer's title is. For example, a peer's wife had until 1948 the right of trial by the House of Lords (e.g. the Countess of Bristol, bigamously Duchess of Kingston).

Whilst you are right that stripping a peer of his title, strips his wife of it, a peer cannot prevent his ex-wife from using it (this was litigated about 100 years ago). Moreover, whilst the attainder of a peerage deprives the peer and his wife of the title I am not convinced that it deprives his mother e.g. the widow of the previous holder, of it. Was Princess Helena accorded the title Dowager Duchess of Albany after her son had been deprived of the title?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Helena_of_Waldeck_and_Pyrmont

Update Earl Cowley v Countess Cowley

per Lord Macnaughten:-

"It was conceded, and I suppose rightly conceded, that there was nothing in her position as the divorced
wife of Earl Cowley to deprive her either of the title or the privileges which she had acquired as his wife. Then she married a commoner, and thereupon she lost her right to the title of Countess and the privileges of peerage"

per Lord Lindley:-

"When in 1895 her husband became Earl Cowley she acquired an estate for life in his dignity. That has
been the law ever since Coke's time, and it is not, I believe, disputed. Her life estate was not determinable on the death of her
husband, but was determinable on a second marriage with a commoner. So long as her life estate in the Earldom was undertermined she was entitled to the honour and dignity of a peeress and to the name attached to it. In 1897 the Countess Cowley obtained a divorce from her husband; but, although the divorce dissolved her marriage, it did not determine her life estate in the peerage which she had acquired. There is no principle of common law, nor is there anything in the Divorce Act, which produces any such result. The case of Fendall v. Goldsmid goes far to shew that so far as name is concerned the Countess was entitled to continue after the divorce to use the name and style which she had previously acquired the right to use. In July, 1898, however, Lady Cowley married a commoner, and it seems clear that, although she did not lose the position to which whe was entitled by birth, her life estate in the dignity which she had acquired by marriage ceased. All the authorities are clear upon that point."

Some authorities suggest that Diana and Fergie legally retain the title HRH but that seems to be a misunderstanding of the Cowley case. A peerage is treated as being a piece of property but the title HRH is held at the discretion of the sovereign. The 2nd Duke of Connaught lost his HRH in 1917 simply because of a change in policy.

Interesting.

Well their HRH style was certainly lost, if only because a letter patent was issued specifically for that I believe? Unless they were trying to argue that the style could only be stripped off by the Queen in Parliament, which as you said, would be the incorrect opinion.

Then, can Her Royal Highness in theory renounce her titles whilst staying married to HRH The Duke of Sussex, who does not renounce his titles? It's a moot point, of course, since as you've pointed out, that's not what the US constitutional amendment requires.

(And anyhow, I don't think US laws treats styles such as "Royal Highness" and "Majesty" the same as titles such as "King" and "Queen" - even though most don't use it while in the USA, the styles "Excellency" and "The Honourable" are used officially (but I don't know if it's something that is legally granted) by government officials by virtue of their taking up those offices.)
7e5.png

Then, can Her Royal Highness in theory renounce her titles whilst staying married to HRH The Duke of Sussex, who does not renounce his titles? It's a moot point, of course, since as you've pointed out, that's not what the US constitutional amendment requires.

I don't think the HRH presents a problem because the Queen could remove it at her request. Although Princess Patricia of Connaught stopped using her title and HRH and Viscount Severn and Lady Louise Windsor have never used their royal titles, no formal steps were taken to deprive them of the titles. As I said above, Princess Pat's nephew the 2nd Duke of Connaught was deprived of HRH by royal warrant in 1917 when the King rejected the Germanic notion that all male line descendants of princes are princes. He was very restrictive with HRH and Prince, so much so that there has had to be a new warrant to extend titles to Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis. It isn't clear that the same will be done for Prince Harry's children who won't get royal titles under the 1917 warrant until Prince Charles becomes king.

However Duchess of Sussex is more like Princess of Wales. Prince of Wales is a statutory title. Most authorities agree that Camilla is Princess of Wales and that it would take an Act of Parliament or a succession to stop her being Princess of Wales. The fact she does not use it is irrelevant.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending