Daniel111111
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1)b) 51.412, not 51.413
2)a) coefficient of x is 428k, not just 448
7)i) should be y=625.56 not 625056
I have a copy of the paper and these agree with my teacher, so am sure they are correct.
MathHysteria
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Emily12345!?)
Does anyone know if you get marked down for using maths from other modules? Because on one of the questions I used C3 differentiation to differentiate the equation of a circle including both x and y values? Whereas in C2 we’re only supposed to know how to differentiate one variable eg x?
Any correct method is always worth all the marks, so don't worry about it! (In mark schemes you will often see chain/product/quotient rules written as alternatives)
Acc Dos
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 020200)
Yeah, 100%. Grade boundaries will probably be very high, because everyone was resitting and the paper was generally very easy!
Grade boundaries will be high because it was an easy test, not because people are resitting. It would not be fair if grade boundaries aren't adjusted differently to other years. Is it fair that other year 13s have year 12s bring down their resit boundaries and we don't?

Edexcel will understand this and a higher proportion of people will achieve As/Bs this year compared to other years. It only makes sense.
Misaq
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ScrewTheExams)
i did that as well lol, I think you're meant to include (x+1), not sure.
Quadratic factor the way I understood it is that they just dont want us to factorise the 24x^2-34x+31 (or maybe you can't) so they want the (x+1)(quadratic) forminstead of (x+1)(24x+..)(x+..)
Yh I thought the same because previous past paper questions they always had a factor like for example (x+1) and then the quadratic next to it.
Acc Dos
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Misaq)
Yh I thought the same because previous past paper questions they always had a factor like for example (x+1) and then the quadratic next to it.
They've never asked for a quadratic factor before. The only time you'd put the factor they give in your answer is if they ask for you to fully factorise. The quadratic factor is just the quadratic, but you shouldn't be penalised anyway.
Winny,Winny,W
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I though 8ii was 0.253 not 0.258?
username2638539
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Emily12345!?)
Yeh I thought that would happen but I couldn’t think of how else to work it out...makes sense now to use the circle centre o well!
Oh wait... i asked my teacher today and he said you can do product rule/etc differentiation in C2 and the methods just a method and it works... so, ignore my last post was invalid (you’ll get the marks).👍 (🤦🏻*♂️ - me) .

Ngl, i was a bit suprised when my teacher told me, but it makes sense i suppose as maths is maths.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
MathHysteria
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JayX0)
Oh wait... i asked my teacher today and he said you can do product rule/etc differentiation in C2 and the methods just a method and it works... so, ignore my last post was invalid (you’ll get the marks).👍 (🤦🏻*♂️ - me) .

Ngl, i was a bit suprised when my teacher told me, but it makes sense i suppose as maths is maths.
It would be more surprising if you could get the right answer with a mathematically correct method and not get full marks though, right?
Andysw3
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I clearly stated if it was 1000 I got 19000, and ou get 1000 if you forget that R=-0.9 and put R=0.9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For this question, how would the 4 marks be allocated? I know I got the correct solutions but I'm just concerned if I may have left out a step of working? Also, was the question itself just solve: cos(x + 70) = 3/4 as in did they already give you this?

Thanks!
Attached files
MathHysteria
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For this question, how would the 4 marks be allocated? I know I got the correct solutions but I'm just concerned if I may have left out a step of working? Also, was the question itself just solve: cos(x + 70) = 3/4 as in did they already give you this?

Thanks!
I think the question was “solve 4cos(x+70) = 3”
I would hazard a guess that marks would be something like:
M1 arccos(3/4)
M1 360 - your first value (or equivalent)
A1 one correct value (dependent on first M1 only)
A1 both correct values (and no others inside the range)
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MathHysteria)
I think the question was “solve 4cos(x+70) = 3”
I would hazard a guess that marks would be something like:
M1 arccos(3/4)
M1 360 - your first value (or equivalent)
A1 one correct value (dependent on first M1 only)
A1 both correct values (and no others inside the range)
Thanks for replying! Do you have to explicitly write cos^-1 or can you just rearrange and say cos(x+70)=3/4 and then say
X+70 = 41.409... (41.409 is the value of of arccos 3/4) like I haven't said cos^-1 in my working but it's implies that I have done that if you see what I mean? Sorry for waffling!
MathHysteria
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for replying! Do you have to explicitly write cos^-1 or can you just rearrange and say cos(x+70)=3/4 and then say
X+70 = 41.409... (41.409 is the value of of arccos 3/4) like I haven't said cos^-1 in my working but it's implies that I have done that if you see what I mean? Sorry for waffling!
I’m sure that the first M1 I suggest could be implied by the correct value
SilentStudent.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ParagonPanda)
Just because you found C1 easy doesn’t mean the grade boundaries will be lower. I think you’ll find that quite a few people found the C1 paper today to be pretty difficult just like C1 2017. The grade boundary for an A should be around 63 like it was last year.
I didn't resit C1, just saying based on the general consensus apparently it was quite easy, plus you have to remember that there's not gonna be many people who get low marks since everyone doing c1 and c2 were resitting the exam so the grades won't balance since obviously people will find c1 easier this year than last year.
phat-chewbacca
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SilentStudent.)
I didn't resit C1, just saying based on the general consensus apparently it was quite easy, plus you have to remember that there's not gonna be many people who get low marks since everyone doing c1 and c2 were resitting the exam so the grades won't balance since obviously people will find c1 easier this year than last year.
I got 62/75 on C1 will this B an A, or is that pushing it?
SilentStudent.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by phat-chewbacca)
It will be a high B, but remember with A level maths it all depends on UMS and not grades so with 62/75 you'll get about 75-79 UMS points based on previous papers. This would still put you in a good position for an A overall as long as you try to push 80 or above UMS on the other papers.
Simsampan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by phat-chewbacca)
Is that including method marks?
Storm22
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Worked solutions
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YU...deWC62o1TMuptH
xxxtentacion..
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
does anyone have access to the 2018 paper?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (337)
15.64%
The paper was reasonable (1172)
54.39%
Not feeling great about that exam... (466)
21.62%
It was TERRIBLE (180)
8.35%

Watched Threads