Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ^^^^^^^^^

meat is very tasty and can provide a good source of proteins you can't find any where else.

plus i dont like eating grass

ReputationRep:
    The way I see it, if everyone were vegan then we'd need to grow more crops. So we'd still be killing animals by displacing them off their land. Veganism should be a personal choice & not forced onto anyone else

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    No valid reasons

ReputationRep:
    Essentially, most people go vegan for one of three reasons: (1) to stop paying for animals to be killed unnecessarily (2) to protect the environment - it requires far less land to produce 100kcal of plant matter than 100kcal of meat because animal agriculture requires the growth of animal feed, and (3) for health benefits, e.g. lowering the risk of certain diseases. From an ethical perspective, vegans would argue that is you wouldn't eat a dog due to it being "morally wrong", why eat a cow? There are also many vegan sources of complete protein, so that's not an issue at all. Sure, meat is tasty, but then you have to choose between sensory pleasure and life. Personally, I will always choose the latter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    The way I see it, if everyone were vegan then we'd need to grow more crops. So we'd still be killing animals by displacing them off their land. Veganism should be a personal choice & not forced onto anyone else
    In terms of land use and crop-growing, veganism is waaay better than being an omnivore. An enormous proportion of the grain and other crops we grow goes to feeding factory-farmed animals, which are then slaughtered to produce a paltry amount of food. It's far more efficient to eat the crops directly.

As the demand for meat decreases, it's possible that some land would begin to have crops grown on it instead of animals grazing, but we wouldn't have to ''kill animals'' to make that conversion - we would simply breed them less. The vast majority of modern farm animals are the product of artificial insemination.

Finally - of course veganism should never be forced on anyone, and personally I don't know of any vegans who would try to. We may try to persuade you, as I am doing, but that is a far cry from forcing anyone to do anything or ''shoving it down a person's throat''.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    It's a personal choice that can be made for many reasons.
    One common thing is that people don't want to eat an animal for moral reasons. People can also want to go vegan for health/ diet reasons. Although meat does contain a lot of good stuff it's also perfectly possible to have a healthy, nutritious diet without it. For some people a vegan diet fits better with their lifestyle, health etc.
    Either option is entirely acceptable as are things like being vegan 2 days a week. It's all a personal choice.

As far as environmental impact goes both can be just as bad . It's more of a matter of there being so many of us- either way we're going to have to take space or resources from something else cos our population and demands are growing.

ReputationRep:
    Attention and Tumblr

ReputationRep:
    The proteins can be acquired in other way than meat. Because it's the most moral system, animals feel pain too and the meat industry is not only bad for the environment but causes so much suffering that should be valued more than because meat tastes good. It's incredibly cruel, and if we carry on consuming and producing meat it's going to be detrimental to the already failing environment

ReputationRep:
    because muscle mass, and energy are bare overrated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brocolli123)
    The proteins can be acquired in other way than meat. Because it's the most moral system, animals feel pain too and the meat industry is not only bad for the environment but causes so much suffering that should be valued more than because meat tastes good. It's incredibly cruel, and if we carry on consuming and producing meat it's going to be detrimental to the already failing environment
    theres so much research debunking this lame claim lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realitysreflexx)
    theres so much research debunking this lame claim lol
    Post some

ReputationRep:
    because muscle mass, and energy are bare overrated.
    I am vegan and perfectly energetic, especially since I got my ingrown toenail sorted out and started drinking tea.

I don't have a lot of muscle mass, to be fair, but I don't really do any anaerobic exercise besides riding my bike up steep hills so that's to be expected. Back when I was in high school I was in a weight training class and I got swole pretty quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Post some
    https://www.lesmills.com/uk/fit-plan...plant-protein/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brocolli123)
    Your username and your worldview match so well. <3

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't debunk any of the claims Brocolli posted - in fact it supports some of them and specifically says that it's possible to get all the protein you need from vegetable sources. It mentions that it's important to mix and match your vegetable protein sources to get the right kinds of protein, but eating a varied diet was always a good idea anyway. Try again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    That doesn't debunk any of the claims Brocolli posted - in fact it supports some of them and specifically says that it's possible to get all the protein you need from vegetable sources. It mentions that it's important to mix and match your vegetable protein sources to get the right kinds of protein, but eating a varied diet was always a good idea anyway. Try again.
    fine you can read it looking to support your claim, doesnt make it right, it clearly states some of the proteins found in meat that your body needs for a healthy balance are not found in plants. EnD of StoRy RoRy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    actuallly, more land is used to grow crops to feed livestock for meat than would be needed to grow crops to provide the same amount of protein and nutrients in a plant-based diet

ReputationRep:
    fine you can read it looking to support your claim, doesnt make it right, it clearly states some of the proteins found in meat that your body needs for a healthy balance are not found in plants. EnD of StoRy RoRy.
    I find no such clear statement. Wanna quote a section of the article that suggests that?

ReputationRep:
    We humans need all 20 of the amino acids that make up proteins, but these differ between animal and plant foods. Animal foods generally contain “complete” proteins, while plant foods are often made of “incomplete” proteins. A complete protein contains all of the nine “essential” amino acids – the ones that cannot be made inside the body, so must be consumed.

Eat meat!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.