loginrunner
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How is everybody else preparing for the writing exam (with the essays)? I'm not sure how to best revise for it. If you're doing another language feel free to comment too, everything is useful.

I think I'll be learning quotes and analysing them and learning some essay writing vocab
Chemistry_Queen
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've written a couple of practice essays, made mind maps, I'm going over quotes, key vocab and will probably watch the film and read the book again
tmansfield039
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Chemistry_Queen)
I've written a couple of practice essays, made mind maps, I'm going over quotes, key vocab and will probably watch the film and read the book again
yeah same ive just got quotes relating to the themes, made mind maps and done practice essays
The-Hof123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The way I think of it, is like English Lit GCSE, but in German. How're you feeling about tomorrow?
loginrunner
Rep:
?
(Original post by The-Hof123)
The way I think of it, is like English Lit GCSE, but in German. How're you feeling about tomorrow?
I'm feeling alright about tomorrow although I spend quite a lot of time on the "summary" questions. Do you know whether you have to bring your own earphones/headphones for the listening exam or are they provided to you by the centre? I'll probably bring some just in case anyway.
The-Hof123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by loginrunner)
I'm feeling alright about tomorrow although I spend quite a lot of time on the "summary" questions. Do you know whether you have to bring your own earphones/headphones for the listening exam or are they provided to you by the centre? I'll probably bring some just in case anyway.
You shouldn't have to, but I would just in case.

Any tips for the summaries? I struggle most with the listening ones.

I tend to do this:
1. Listen/Read through text making key points/phrases/words
2. I plan the points to each bullet point
3. I write it up, using synonyms
4. I check it through and count the points I've made (must be different points, not like: he likes x and y. x and y are not 2 points, but one)
5. I then check if it is under 90 words (I've got a word processor)

The gap fill on the spec paper is awful though, just nouns. any tips for that one?
The-Hof123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm asking for a lot of help, I know, but it's just its my worst subject, and I need to get a B
tmansfield039
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
we have to bring our own
loginrunner
Rep:
?
(Original post by The-Hof123)
You shouldn't have to, but I would just in case.

Any tips for the summaries? I struggle most with the listening ones.

I tend to do this:
1. Listen/Read through text making key points/phrases/words
2. I plan the points to each bullet point
3. I write it up, using synonyms
4. I check it through and count the points I've made (must be different points, not like: he likes x and y. x and y are not 2 points, but one)
5. I then check if it is under 90 words (I've got a word processor)

The gap fill on the spec paper is awful though, just nouns. any tips for that one?
I definitely agree with what you said about the listening summary exercises! I think you have got the right strategy, I listen to the entire track once through to get the gist of it, then play it again and write all the points required for each bullet point, and summarise it in my own way clearly addressing each point. It takes a lot of time but the other parts of the paper are usually quite quick anyway so you can afford it. If you have time at the end of the exam as well, make sure to re-read the summaries as well as the translations to make sure there aren't any silly grammar mistakes. I don't really have any tips for the gap-fill, but if they use adjectives or verbs in the gap fill then make sure the endings match with the statement.
The-Hof123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I definitely agree with what you said about the listening summary exercises! I think you have got the right strategy, I listen to the entire track once through to get the gist of it, then play it again and write all the points required for each bullet point, and summarise it in my own way clearly addressing each point. It takes a lot of time but the other parts of the paper are usually quite quick anyway so you can afford it. If you have time at the end of the exam as well, make sure to re-read the summaries as well as the translations to make sure there aren't any silly grammar mistakes. I don't really have any tips for the gap-fill, but if they use adjectives or verbs in the gap fill then make sure the endings match with the statement.
That's where i drop a lot of marks, endings and cases are my weakness, they made sense in Latin, but they don't have as much of a purpose in German IMHO
The-Hof123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
also, has anyone got the private spec papers? i.e. the one that only teachers can access
Vickylouiseeee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey guys **** we will be okay wir können es zusammen machen lol but seriously are our essays on the film and book tomorrow or on the Thursday exam next week I am so confused
The-Hof123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Vickylouiseeee)
Hey guys **** we will be okay wir können es zusammen machen lol but seriously are our essays on the film and book tomorrow or on the Thursday exam next week I am so confused
Listening etc tomorrow, essays on Friday
Vickylouiseeee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you you’re a god
Which book and film did you do
loginrunner
Rep:
?
Good luck to everyone for the exam today!
The-Hof123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm doing Mutter Courage and Die fetten Jahre sind vorbei. both have very little resources, but my teacher insisted
jdotlil
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How did everyone find paper 1? I thought it was pretty decent, the listening summary confused me a bit though. I didn’t revise for german however so it could have gone either way.
Realllllly not looking forward to paper 2
loginrunner
Rep:
?
(Original post by jdotlil)
How did everyone find paper 1? I thought it was pretty decent, the listening summary confused me a bit though. I didn’t revise for german however so it could have gone either way.
Realllllly not looking forward to paper 2
I definitely spent way more time on the listening summary than I probably should have, I only just finished the translations before time was up. I found the reading task with the book extract really difficult, I did not understand most of it but I think it was something to do with a guy who works with foreign customers and the first question was how does he earn money. The reading summary wasn't too bad though.
jdotlil
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I definitely spent way more time on the listening summary than I probably should have, I only just finished the translations before time was up. I found the reading task with the book extract really difficult, I did not understand most of it but I think it was something to do with a guy who works with foreign customers and the first question was how does he earn money. The reading summary wasn't too bad though.
Yeah I left the lit extract until last and nearly forgot about it lol, I had NO idea what the second to last question wanted from the text so I just used two of the descriptions of the woman?

Also couldn’t decide if the first R F NA question was R or NA? Immer mehr made me put NA because there’s no reference to the past but I’m not certain at all
loginrunner
Rep:
?
(Original post by jdotlil)
Yeah I left the lit extract until last and nearly forgot about it lol, I had NO idea what the second to last question wanted from the text so I just used two of the descriptions of the woman?

Also couldn’t decide if the first R F NA question was R or NA? Immer mehr made me put NA because there’s no reference to the past but I’m not certain at all
I also wrote NA even thought I was really tempted to write down R. I think it said something like "Immer mehr Leute ....." But the text only said that a majority of people do ..... and I thought by using immer mehr it would mean that even more people would do... and it doesn't say whether the number of people who do.... have increased since the past.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (290)
60.42%
Yes- I don't like it (23)
4.79%