The Student Room Group

Whats the best uni for psychology

hey, I have so far applied for an open day in Manchester uni, Liverpool uni, Birmingham uni and surrey university... I'm still looking at more universities for psychology.
does anyone know any good universities for psychology?
I want to become a clinical psychologist in the future. Also, if ANYONE has visited any of the above universities, can you please let me know what you think about them in terms of psychology :smile:
You can look at rankings online which also include student satisfaction scores. Nobody on TSR will be able to give you a recommendation based on anything more than experiencing maybe 1 or 2 universities first hand and maybe going to some open days...

Unfortunately its hard to find good advice online as most people will only have experience of a single university, and their views may not be that representative either... the only thing you can do is look at the rankings and get a feel for the course/place at an open day. In the end, your choice of university is going to not that much anyway....
Although I may be a tad biased, I've just finished my course in Forensic Psychology and Criminal Justice and it was great!

In addition to straight psychology there's a few options (Like forensic psychology) that can be a little different and arguably more exciting then straight psychology, so have a look! They are all BPS accredited of course :smile:

Liverpool is such a nice city anyway, it's literally got everything. Come for the parties and stay for the free museums!

Hope this helped- Alex (LJMU student rep)
Having some knowledge of several of the universities you mention, they are all pretty good.

However, if you want to go into Clinical Psychology, you will need to have experience, and the course at Surrey has this built into their 4 year programme. One of the biggest problems with a standard course is that it is very hard to gain direct experience with psychologists, but any course that has a sandwich component and links to clinical psychologists are more likely to lead to you having a placement in a psychology service.

This can be incredibly helpful when it comes to gaining experience and making contacts and is often overlooked by undergraduates in favour of things like university prestige etc. The irony is that in the world of clinical psychology you may get further, quicker, if you attend somewhere like Surrey or Bath (which offer 4 year courses with placements) rather than Oxford or UCL (which don't).
The 4 year courses have a certain attraction for those wanting to become practitioners. We just visited Exeter yesterday and were very impressed with their MSci Applied Psychology course offering. A lovely campus, too.

Quick Reply

Latest