Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Medrat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Vienna is a brilliant, dark song. I haven't listened to much of Nirvana (apart from one or two of their well-known ones) so looking forward to listening to this one. This next band are quite well-known but I haven't seen them around much on TSR. They swear they were never 'goths' (probably because, as the comments indicate, this term wasn't used then. It was Alternative/New Wave) - but everyone else disagrees! They did many great songs but this, in my opinion, is their best.
username2889812
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sweet Dreams (are made of this)
Eurythmics
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ganda1f)
https://youtu.be/4zRkIbUi01k Vienna by Ultravox, coming from the dawn of the 80's its often been overlooked and is an excellent song about longing and creates a cool sense of desperation.
This means nothing to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Medrat)
LOVE this song, but don't forget, guys, we are currently doing '80s goths/dark <looks pointedly at Puddles>. You have to stick to the sub-genres <looks pointedly at Puddles>. After the goths, we'll do New Wave/Alternative (Simple Minds, Human League, Falco, that type of stuff......after the goths ), but.not.yet
<looks pointedly at Puddles>....... More goth/'80s dark tomorrow...
Sorry, didn't realise!
Medrat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
Sorry, didn't realise!
Nah, only joking. I obviously didn't make it very clear. My mistake. I thought we'd get more variety going if I grouped the songs into categories because it might encourage people to post stuff within that category that's outside of the mainstream, but, of course, it doesn't matter. They still get posted and listened to! If you ask people about '80s music they only think of Rio-Duran Duran, A-ha, Rick Astley, Human League, etc.. The gothy/darker songs, the rock(y) stuff or the political/protest songs never really get posted even though they are just as, if not even more, brilliant (I also like to group things into categories and read the comments after songs, but I don't tell anyone about that ). New Wave (Simple Minds, Human League...) coming up after this, 'Soundtracks from '80s films' after that, and
'The one that got away' (just pre- and just post-'80s) after that. Hope you are preparing lots of contributions, Puddles/everyone. Rock on, everybody!
Medrat
Rep:
?
Won't be around for a bit, so thought I'd post this now: Southern Death Cult (people have heard of the Cult but this is the band's prior incarnation although Ian Astbury was the only consistent member across Southern Death Cult >> Death Cult >> The Cult). How good is this!!
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ikeya Seki. No, not the comet...

Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by winterscoming)
Ikeya Seki. No, not the comet...

Another Kano fan! :five:
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is this the right genre?

Medrat
Rep:
?
Nope, but what can you do? (Sigh). It's goths/dark, people!!
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

:holmes: ?
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The 80s. Ew
Medrat
Rep:
?
Puddles - sorry. 'Yes' to the cutter and the Forest! Was travelling so it all went horribly wrong. Yeeha! All present and correct. Keep 'em coming.
Medrat
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
The 80s. Ew
You are missing a few letters there: "The 80s. The NEw 2020". Fixed that for you I don't know much about this and the next band, apart from their dodgy band names, but this song is great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYMLwLTzGUg
Medrat
Rep:
?
Another, ahem, creatively-named alternative '80s band. I don't know much about them but this song is great
Medrat
Rep:
?
We are going to move on to New Wave after this sub-genre but before we do, I want to tack on Alternative Rock to the Goth sub-genre. These bands have some goth but also contain elements of rock far more than a band such as The Cure, for example. These guys made it quite big but this excellent song is not that well-known.
Medrat
Rep:
?
If I come back as a Rock God, I am coming back as Ian Astbury, no question. How were The Cult not bigger when they so effortlessly produced songs like this?
Medrat
Rep:
?
Final 'gothic' rock band before New Wave - they became Spear of Destiny, and were more polished as such, but, as Theatre of Hate, did three brilliant raw songs (Original Sin - written about Kirk Brandon's relationship with Boy George that turned nasty - oooer; Legion and this, the best one),
Medrat
Rep:
?
Ah, New Wave (Puddles - you can do your thing, or should that be thang, now!). I'm not quite sure what 'New Wave' actually means given that everything in the '80s that wasn't Rick Astley was referred to as 'New Wave'. Here, I'm going to differentiate this sub-genre from the bands that came before in this thread by referring to the 'nearly-mainstream' bands - they became well-known and charted, but were not straight-laced like Rick Astley (they had a bit of a twist, e.g., Gary Numan). I don't think the audience quite realise what greatness they are witnessing here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (132)
17.98%
It's just nice to be back! (199)
27.11%
Not great so far... (265)
36.1%
I want to drop out! (138)
18.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise