The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

BSc Natural Sciences (Chemistry) and (virtual) Practical Experiments

Hello there,

I wondered if someone here knows of some of the Practical Experiments that are covered in the modules that are Specific to the Chemistry pathway. (I know they are presented online, so you get to see Experiments and use virtual equipment, rather then get hands on.)

There is some information covered on the website detailing the moudles here: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/details/s215?orig=q64-che (In the paragraph titled "Practical Work"). However, I'm not sure exactly what some of the experiments are.

I also wondered whether anyone has acquired the requisite apparatus at home, for such experiments?

p.s. I am excluding the idea of purchasing large and expensive equipment such as NMR specrometers or hazardous chemicals that require a licenses to purchase etc! I mean, simple stuff Titrations for example.

Ty,
Reply 1
Original post by NanoPhysicist
Hello there,

I wondered if someone here knows of some of the Practical Experiments that are covered in the modules that are Specific to the Chemistry pathway. (I know they are presented online, so you get to see Experiments and use virtual equipment, rather then get hands on.)

There is some information covered on the website detailing the moudles here: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/details/s215?orig=q64-che (In the paragraph titled "Practical Work":wink:. However, I'm not sure exactly what some of the experiments are.

I also wondered whether anyone has acquired the requisite apparatus at home, for such experiments?

p.s. I am excluding the idea of purchasing large and expensive equipment such as NMR specrometers or hazardous chemicals that require a licenses to purchase etc! I mean, simple stuff Titrations for example.

Ty,

Hi Ty,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I didn't know the answer to this initially but I've made some enquiries on your behalf.

From what I can gather the online experiments very much start at the stage 2 module S215. The module description gives the following information regarding the practical work (there is also an optional residential school for this module).

Practical work

As Chemistry is such a practical subject the final Practical Block introduces you to aspects of laboratory work. It starts by introducing common apparatus and techniques and health and safety aspects of working in a laboratory. There are video sequences illustrating some of the techniques and an online experiment on some techniques. Online experiments play an important role in acquainting you with the practical aspects of chemistry. During your study of chemical kinetics, you will measure the rate of a reaction using a virtual spectrometer.
The Practical Block provides further experience of experimental methods. You will be introduced to standard apparatus and techniques of the chemistry laboratory and will then undertake three online experiments.
The first uses the virtual spectrometer to measure an equilibrium constant, and the other two allow you to experience a laboratory in an immersive environment. These two experiments are a titration using a pH meter and a synthesis of a copper complex. You will select and assemble apparatus, measure out chemicals and adjust the reaction conditions. Your results will depend on your choices and so, as in real life, they will differ from those of other students.

In addition to this the module has a self assessed diagnostic quiz (as do all the science modules). The self assessment quiz will also give you an idea of the module content. I have the link below, plus a link to some appropriate taster materials related to this module.

http://www.open.ac.uk/science/main/studying-science/s215-chemistry-essential-concepts

http://www.open.edu/openlearn/science-maths-technology/what-chemical-compounds-might-be-present-drinking-water/content-section-0

I hope this helps.

Iain
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Hi Ian,

Thanks you, definetly provides some useful information :-) !

Kind regards,

Original post by IainOU
Hi Ty,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I didn't know the answer to this initially but I've made some enquiries on your behalf.

From what I can gather the online experiments very much start at the stage 2 module S215. The module description gives the following information regarding the practical work (there is also an optional residential school for this module).

Practical work

As Chemistry is such a practical subject the final Practical Block introduces you to aspects of laboratory work. It starts by introducing common apparatus and techniques and health and safety aspects of working in a laboratory. There are video sequences illustrating some of the techniques and an online experiment on some techniques. Online experiments play an important role in acquainting you with the practical aspects of chemistry. During your study of chemical kinetics, you will measure the rate of a reaction using a virtual spectrometer.
The Practical Block provides further experience of experimental methods. You will be introduced to standard apparatus and techniques of the chemistry laboratory and will then undertake three online experiments.
The first uses the virtual spectrometer to measure an equilibrium constant, and the other two allow you to experience a laboratory in an immersive environment. These two experiments are a titration using a pH meter and a synthesis of a copper complex. You will select and assemble apparatus, measure out chemicals and adjust the reaction conditions. Your results will depend on your choices and so, as in real life, they will differ from those of other students.

In addition to this the module has a self assessed diagnostic quiz (as do all the science modules). The self assessment quiz will also give you an idea of the module content. I have the link below, plus a link to some appropriate taster materials related to this module.

http://www.open.ac.uk/science/main/studying-science/s215-chemistry-essential-concepts

http://www.open.edu/openlearn/science-maths-technology/what-chemical-compounds-might-be-present-drinking-water/content-section-0

I hope this helps.

Iain
Original post by NanoPhysicist
Hello there,

There is some information covered on the website detailing the moudles here: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/details/s215?orig=q64-che (In the paragraph titled "Practical Work"). However, I'm not sure exactly what some of the experiments are.

Ty,

The open university has a separe website called open lab that uses for most elonline experiment. I think they are pretty good as you can grab instruments and press buttons on equipment just like you do in real life kind of like a video game. It supply complementary videos as well to ilustrate all procedures. I remember one that you actually had a view on lab in milton keynes and could click on all the stuff for more info. Open lab gives you access to experiments from other modules too if you are interested. I did sxhl288 practical science which has a few online experiments that are useful to grasp the techniques used in laboratory. It doesnt give you real experience but for sure makes you more confident at the procedures. There are few residential running mostly 2nd and 3rd year but u need to cover the cost. They are outlined on websites and some are concered more with chemical reactions but there is one for biological studies that gives u chance to practice pcr and cell cultures depends where your interests fall.

Hope it helps
M

Quick Reply

Latest